Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Minnesota Should Be Moved Out This Forum

2K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Sombrio69 
#1 ·
What's up with lumping Minnesota in with Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois in the "Midwest" forum? It's a fricking 20 hour drive to Columbus from Minneapolis. Minnesota should be placed with Iowa in the Great Plains section. They're both West of the Mississippi. Someone doesn't know his or her geography. Does anyone in Minnesota ever go mountain biking in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois or Ohio? I doubt it. Minnesota should at least be grouped in a forum with neighboring states (like Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota). Placing Minnesota in the so-called "Midwest" forum is a disservice to Minnesota riders and forum members, seeing as there is no geographic or cultural connection between a place like Ohio or Kentucky and Minnesota.

#2 ·
oh boo fvcking hoo.

"there is no geographic or cultural connection between a place like Ohio or Kentucky and Minnesota."

maybe not w/ Kentucky but both MN and OH are on teh Great Lakes. also throughout my years riding in IL i have meet many people from MN. i know of several ppl from Minneapolis who make an annual trip to Rays in Cleavland.

this issue has been beaten to death over several times, whether it be MN, Wis., IL, or any other state in this forum. like it or not its not going to change so get over it.

srry if im coming off angery, dont take it personally, i have just had a really bad fvcking week.

#4 ·
tundraline said:
Placing Minnesota in the so-called "Midwest" forum is a disservice to Minnesota riders and forum members, seeing as there is no geographic or cultural connection between a place like Ohio or Kentucky and Minnesota.
He's right. Put them with Canada.

They all talk the same,and are weird about winter and actually being outside and not dying.

Changed my mind. Put Canada and Minnesota in the Polarbear Forum.

Or maybe give QBP its own forum, and give minnesota a sub-forum inside.

Or how about a Ex-Pro-Wrestler/Comedian politics Forum?

#7 ·
what would actually make the most sence, to me atleast would be to put Kentucky w/ TN or teh Midsouth and call this the great lakes forum and posibly pull Mich in w/ it. cause i grew up my whole life in Illinois and now live in Kansas and hot damn, this place is the real midwest. IL, WI, MN, IN, OH, and MI are NOT midwestern at all. i thought central IL was midwestern, oh boy was i wrong.

#10 ·
The Census Bureau categorization shows how haphazard and ill-though-out the current structure on mtbr.com is. Michigan has its own tab. North and South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and Missouri (more than half the "midwestern" states) are organized under the "Great Plains" and Kentucky is thrown in to the midwestern category. It doesn't make much sense. It probably would be better to put Minnesota and Wisconsin together, or to create a new Upper Midwest Region with North and South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. People in those states ride in one another's states regularly. I don;t know anyone in Minnesota who travels to ride in Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, or Indiana. Why do that when you can drive a shorter distance to the Black Hills, for example?

#12 ·
tundraline said:
I don;t know anyone in Minnesota who travels to ride in Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois, or Indiana. Why do that when you can drive a shorter distance to the Black Hills, for example?
like i have stated b4 ppl do go to OH from MN to ride. how do i know this? because i have meet and rode w/ them. also ppl want more riding options than just places in MN and the Black Hills, this way they dont have to go out of there way to find out if there is a event or trail in another state that they want to go to.

now i dont want to hear any of that bullsh!t that MN has supior traisl to these other states. sure MN has great trails but so do these other states, infact Peoria, IL was just named in Nat. Geo. one of the top 50 adventure cities in the US to live in just for its close proximity to 5 of Illinois best trail systems, a few of which hoste the 2007 and 2008 Midwest Mtn Bike Fest where ppl from all over the country came. YES that includes MN, and you know what? ppl even came from Idaho, FL, and Conn.

have you ever even riden in any of the states you b!tching bout?

#13 ·
i live in wisconsin and have travelled to colorado, utah, and arizona to ride. using your logic maybe we should combine all three with wisconsin.

i think if the categories were not so ridiculously random, with little thought from the left coasties that setup the forums maybe there would be more participation.

#16 · (Edited)
Sombrio69 said:
like i have stated b4 ppl do go to OH from MN to ride. how do i know this? because i have meet and rode w/ them. also ppl want more riding options than just places in MN and the Black Hills, this way they dont have to go out of there way to find out if there is a event or trail in another state that they want to go to.

now i dont want to hear any of that bullsh!t that MN has supior traisl to these other states. sure MN has great trails but so do these other states, infact Peoria, IL was just named in Nat. Geo. one of the top 50 adventure cities in the US to live in just for its close proximity to 5 of Illinois best trail systems, a few of which hoste the 2007 and 2008 Midwest Mtn Bike Fest where ppl from all over the country came. YES that includes MN, and you know what? ppl even came from Idaho, FL, and Conn.

have you ever even riden in any of the states you b!tching bout?
I'm sure there are really good trails in places like Illinois and Ohio. The cost/benefit ratio of driving 15-20 hours to ride them is the problem. Much more bang for the buck is to be had by driving west or north for a much shorter period of time if you live in Minnesota, not to mention far fewer people.

#17 ·
MN and WI are SPOONING for gawds sake. Of course they belong in their own forum.

We've all agreed that the current break down of regional forums blows. You think the admins really care? They can only suggest change. The consumer review folks who own the site have to make the change. Let them know how much their geographic skillz are the suxxors.

#18 ·
Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

:thumbsup: it's all about the traffic boys, not on the roads, but the boards...If you guys would spend less time electing, re-electing and re-re-electing your senators, maybe you'd have enough folks posting on mtbr to warrant your own little page.
If anything, considering the number of posts just on the showing "Midwest" forum page, it looks like WI should get its own board by virtue of the number of posts pertaining to its trails/riders alone.
Why does MI get its own board? That doesn't seem fair...I watch that board go without a post for weeks at a time sometimes.
How about WI gets its own board and then we can bail out the MI board by hitching it to MN and seeing if the combined posts generate enough interest to keep them both afloat.
You could add x-country skiing or curling in the winter to boost activity.
We'd have a problem with the name "mtbr" then, though. Once the forums were joined and the other sports added, maybe it could become; mtxccr.com or curexbik.com...I don't know...seems like that kind of defeats the whole purpose...and then there's the whole watersport aspect...
I studied in Venezuela one time and met a bunch of people from MN. Does Venezuela have its own forum page? Oh wait, there's the point again...
Venezuela has enough people with something in common that they get their own friggin country, just like if MN had enough people with the same thing in common, say mountain biking, and they all posted on mtbr - in great enough numbers MN might possibly get its own forum page.
It'd be a pretty boring page with just you and your sister posting rides...:eek:ut:
Just a thought.

#21 ·
The real solution here is expand the geographic inconsistency of the forums as they are now organized. Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia should be in the mid-south region. Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and New York the Midwest region, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming the Plains Mountain region, Wisconsin and Illinois the Crappy Football Team and Fishing Region, North Dakota, South Dakota, Manitoba, Minnesota, Saskacthewan, Alberta and the Northwest Territories the Upper Midwest Region, everything along the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida the Coastal Region, and so on. Even more mtbr.com traffic would result. P.S. Michigan needs to be hitched to another rust-belt state in the East, like Ohio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.