mtbr member
    May 2006

Milwaukee and Madison riding?

Hey all,

I'm coming in from Alaska to WI for work this weekend and am hoping somebody could point me in the direction of your best most technical trails in both Milwaukee and Madison. I'll be in Milwaukee this weekend and am hoping to rent a bike to ride Sunday. Similarly, I'm going to try and rent a bike thursday or maybe Friday morning in Madison.

Are there trails around town that I could ride to or should I plan on renting a car for either city? Does one city have better technical riding than the other?

I appreciate any suggestions you guys might have on trails and/or shops to rent bikes from.

Thanks!

DM

Ballstein Models
    Technical in Madison would be Blue Mounds. Trouble is, it's still closed for the season. Too wet to ride. There are some new TTF's at Cam Rock on the southeast side of Madison. Check out the link in my sig for the local info for the Madison area. I'll let others chime in about MKE.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    Technical in Madison would be Blue Mounds. Trouble is, it's still closed for the season. Too wet to ride. There are some new TTF's at Cam Rock on the southeast side of Madison. Check out the link in my sig for the local info for the Madison area. I'll let others chime in about MKE.
    Yes, little pocket size places might be it because of the rain. A small area close to downtown Madison called Quarry Park will dry fast. Some trails at the Blackhawk Ski Club care good to go soon after rain but that may be a down and go up the gravel road thing. You'll need to buy the $20 bike only membership because it's private.

This is the Blackhawk trail that dries fast. You can bypass the gaps.

Blackhawk Edit - YouTube

Things to Come - YouTube

Hogprint's suggestion for madcitydirt.com is best because you can shout out and probably meet up with riders who will show you around or know where to go.

mtbr member
    If nothing else works out hit up the John Muir trails, not the most technical but a good ride and rent a bike at the General Store's Backyard Bikes they have a good selection, 29ers, full suspension etc.

Maybe out of your way but Nicolet Roche at Boulder Lake is a good taste of Wisconsin trails with a good mix of rocks, roots and hills also its off the beaten path in a very beautiful part of the state.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm going to ride this afternoon and tomorrow morning before my Flight out of Madison. I'm hoping to hit blackhawk and quarry ridge, but am all for an invite to the farm if there is an offer.

I can always return the favor in AK!