SS Fever!

Madison Wi. Riding Info?

I'm currently living/working In Germany and I'm looking at moving back to the Madison Wi. area. I ride mostly MTB XC & Singlespeed. Living in Germany has spoiled me and I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of MTB trail availiblity in/near that area. Please respond if you can give me any help

mtbr member
    there are a few great places to ride in the madison area, not too much you can ride to but with some drive time you will be rewarded with some awesome trails. blue mounds state park, for epic-the-most-techy singletrack youve ever ridden, but it also has some smooth swoopy stuff if you arent a huge fan of techy stuff, there are a few other great places to ride too

check out madcitydirt.com for trail info and a forum

SS Fever!
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy
    there are a few great places to ride in the madison area, not too much you can ride to but with some drive time you will be rewarded with some awesome trails. blue mounds state park, for epic-the-most-techy singletrack youve ever ridden, but it also has some smooth swoopy stuff if you arent a huge fan of techy stuff, there are a few other great places to ride too

check out madcitydirt.com for trail info and a forum

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm quite stoked about getting a chance to come back to the states. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to come back and ride the 25th Chequamegon 40 Fat Tire in 2007 and realized that 10 years living abroad is enough. Born & raised in the U.P. of Michigan, it will be a great to be near but far enough away from relitives

As for singletrack and technical terain that's what I'm looking for. I have competed in Europe for about 7 years now; mostly MTB Marathons & a few all nighters. I just started riding single speed this past year and I'm hooked! I've looked at the WORS series website and looks to be a well organized group of folks. The website you provided will be a great place to start & hopefully lessen the stress of the move

mtbr member
    awesome, madison is a great city, im sad i moved away during the school year (college) but i know ill be back on weekends and winter/summer break.

blue mounds state park is my favorite trail system, if you like white knuckle techy-ness (natural drops, rock gardens, roots, log piles and other fun stuff) then you will have a great time but there are some decent smooth swoopy trails there too if you arent into the technicall aspect

are you moving to madison itself or one of the outlying areas?

SS Fever!
    My wife is currently teaching for the DOD in Germany & it looks as if she wants to make a compatable $, she will need to teach in the Metro area. We will most likely want to live in the out-skirts of down town.

Thanks for the website agian! They now have changed their website and is much like this forum.
    http://www.madcitydirt.org

I signed up yesterday & posted requesting info. They are full of info and seem quite active in the community.

mtbr member
    well if you are living close to downtown there is another riding spot that i frequent quite often during the summer, its called quarry park, its known for its dirt jumps/fr stunts but does have quite a bit of singletrack spiderwebbing throughout it (i heard once almost 10 miles if counted all the trails and side trails) but if you are living downtown area more than likely you could ride to it, just another option that isnt really talked about that much, people overlook it but i think its a hidden little gem of singletrack goodness...

edit: heres a link with google map

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...17875538647568

Sweep the leg!
    CamRock # 3 and the Farm (aka Area 25.5) are the two I prefer without making a day of it. If you want to make a day of it there's the Kettles a bit further down the road from CamRock, plus Levis Trow, Nine Mile and Standing Rocks to the north.

I have a thing against Blue Mounds. It's just a personal thing, but you should experience the rocks for yourself.

You won't be lacking for trails.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I agree with spazzy quarry park is a great area if your in need of a quick fix, its one large spider web trail, making new trails by turning randomly, and the rythem section is a blast. although you may want to ride it with platform pedals

mtbr member
    i miss quarry park. the farm is cool. never did blue mounds. camrock is cool. not a fan of the kettles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLazer
    i miss quarry park. the farm is cool. never did blue mounds. camrock is cool. not a fan of the kettles.
    Sounds like you're a candidate for BMSP, but I happen to like a trip to Kettles too. Kettles is nostalgia if nothing else and a chance for a single long ride. 40 years ago my buddies and I would get dropped off at the Kettles by one of the neighborhood mothers with our single speed bikes and prehistoric sports food (PB&J, Kool Aid). BMSP is outstanding because of the pool, camping and size all close to the metro area.

The personality of Blue Mound is changing to some extent. The work done since Walter and I have managed things is more flowing and repairs fix grade and turn radius when possible. Annual progress depends upon mother nature and volunteer turnout. The current projects are fixing some of the oldest trail and finishing the new trail area south of the camp ground. We don't yet know, but a grant we applied for recently might get us another round of machine rental if we can get some other donations too. The last time we had a machine two people did more in 10 days than usually gets done in 2 years.

Spring time is not kind to BMSP riding, but other areas dry out faster. Most all of the repair work is about fixing water issues and it has already paid off and the trails are open more than in the past. Some will always complain about the place and there's not much that can be done about it without more giving more time and/'or money - property boundaries limit trail design, if glaciers couldn't move the rocks we certainly can't and it has more vertical than most ski areas in the the Midwest.

The more time and/or money issue applies to all the trails in the area. Cam-Rock is in an expansion project, BMSP is not finished as stated, annual maint. work never goes away and we have a city interested in a first class public bike park in the middle of the metro area. All of that needs more than the small band of stalwarts who give time and money.

I hope OP Chopperguth enjoys what has happened to the trail scenario around here if he moves, and we look forward to seeing him and any new faces.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is there a hotline for Blue Mounds to find out when trails are open/trail conditions like there is for John Muir?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smoen81
    Is there a hotline for Blue Mounds to find out when trails are open/trail conditions like there is for John Muir?
    There is, but Blue Mounds will be a muddy mess for a few months still. Of all the Madison and surrounding area trails, Blue mounds takes the longest to dry. Last year it was muddy pretty much all season it seemed, but in the spring it's too destructive to the trail to be riding on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    There is, but Blue Mounds will be a muddy mess for a few months still. Of all the Madison and surrounding area trails, Blue mounds takes the longest to dry. Last year it was muddy pretty much all season it seemed, but in the spring it's too destructive to the trail to be riding on.
    Hi,

We expect the tremendous effort Walt made before the race to help much. Good turnout for the spring work days will change it forever because the re-route and repair work will fix problem areas and may well make some areas ride better if you have a spindly bike or little tires.

That said, it will always be Blue Mound getting rain and snow when other places do not and it's been sticking out for long time.

We hope to see all of you for the work and ride season this year. It will be really sweet if much is fixed and we can get on to making more of Pokerville.

P.S. Thanks for bringing up the destructive aspect. It has happened where seemingly little damage has wrecked the trail building progress for a whole year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I went out to ride Quarry Ridge last week and people just destroyed the trail. If it's muddy, get off and walk. When you ride when it's muddy you ruin the natural trail with your tire marks and when it dries the track doesn't roll smoothly at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Lotsa ridin' abaja Norte!

I recently moved back to beautiful Wisconsin after 30 yrs. out west, most recently 15 years in Santa Fe NM, and wondered if I could let the mountains of Colo and NM go. On a visit back a friend and I hit the Levis-Trow Mounds(its one of two state IMBA Epics) for the first time and I thought....WOW, a gem.....who needs the...well anyways suffice to say, it was only the beginning! Underdown in Merrill is sort of short, but as an out&back it will test anyone. Hayward/Seeley/Cable all is very good including the other IMBA Epic at Rock Lake. Add it with the Namakogon ST and it is one long epic stupendous ride. Also might as well do Ojibwe at Mt. Telemark, Makwa and the fantastic Fish Hatchery/Mesquito Brook epic tracking. Bearpaw with Boulder Lake section in Langlade is fun, but an F4 tornado bulldozed right thru the middle, cutting south from north. Forest Service told me they were working on lumbering it out. Let's pray or.....meet with chainsaws and tools. New section is arizin' north of HWY64. Standing rocks in Plover is fun, but short at 14 miles like Underdown, and not really technical, so as an O&B it can raise the ante. 9 Mile in Wausau with Ho-Chi Myn and two buried newer sections make it a nice ride....the signage will drive even a psychiatrist nuts. Lowes Creek in Eau Claire is developing into a wonderfully decent ride, still kinda small and short. Greenbush in the N. Kettle area is a great startup too. Still more up north and I've heard there is some really good riding up in Wisigan, oh I mean the UP. My vehicle can carry four bikes and passengers. I'm gearing up for it. The more the merrier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hello all,

I'm presently visiting Waukesha, Wi. from Oklahoma City, Ok. for some work training and I was wondering if you guys post any rides in this forum. I'm gonna be here for a whole month and I hope I can check out some local trails. I brought my road bike and mountain bike but I'd rather hit the dirt than the road. Where else can I get some info on group rides? Any info will be appreciated. By the rain I encountered on my way up here, I'm sure the off road trails are unrideable. Not that I would go and screw up your trails just to get a ride in. I know better than that. I feel the same way about mud riding in Oklahoma. You gotta respect the trails and the workers behind the work.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Hello all,

I'm presently visiting Waukesha, Wi. from Oklahoma City, Ok. for some work training and I was wondering if you guys post any rides in this forum. I'm gonna be here for a whole month and I hope I can check out some local trails. I brought my road bike and mountain bike but I'd rather hit the dirt than the road. Where else can I get some info on group rides? Any info will be appreciated. By the rain I encountered on my way up here, I'm sure the off road trails are unrideable. Not that I would go and screw up your trails just to get a ride in. I know better than that. I feel the same way about mud riding in Oklahoma. You gotta respect the trails and the workers behind the work.
    If you can get a ride out at Blue mounds before the spring showers make it too muddy to ride. It's actually open right now, although it's going to be muddy, the trails ARE open for riding. Also check out Kettle Moraine, and after those two big ones just start picking the smaller trails around southern Wisconsin off your list. Kettles and Blue mounds are two musts to ride though.

mtbr member
    i'm going to be moving out to madison or minneapolis with my job earlyish next year. i live in kalamazoo, mi and have lots of good trails around.

is madison a pretty cool city? anybody ride the stuff in michigan and wisconsin enough to give me an idea of how they compare? thanks!

Ballstein Models
    very cool cities, both. you question will likely get a better answer here:

for madison:

http://madcitydirt.org/forum

for tinyapolis:

http://www.morcmtb.org/

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders