mtbr member
    Aug 2006

lyons club pre-fat in seeley

:My wife wants our family to do the race in Seeley on the 29th because they have a family rate even though gas and camping fees will probably make it more expensive than a local race. We have a race we are doing up in Copper Harbor just 8 days later. I was thinking of taking the boys on a canoeing/fishing trip on the weekend of the 29th, which I haven't done yet this year.
    So what's that race like? is it really fun, challenging, not too crowded? How does it compare to the Deerchase in Calumet MI?
    Thanks,
    Rich

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'll answer my own question, now that I've done it. The Seely race was fun, not too crowded, plenty hilly, not very rocky. It was mostly on ski trails, grass with a prefered riding lane that was dirt but easy enough to pass on either side. Another good thing was the swag, my family scored some great loot.The weather was damp but there were'nt too many puddles, the few sandy spots were better than if it were dry. Now for the bragging. My 13 year old son was first in his age group in the 10 mile. My 17 year old son was 2nd in his age group in the 15 mile race with a 36+ pound freeride bike. My 20 year old Daughter was 1st in her age group in the 15 miler. I, on the other hand, only got 8th in the 45 to 49 age group, 42nd overall in the 15 miler.