Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

Looking for WI riding recommendations

My wife and I are going to be staying north of Rockford, IL next weekend for a wedding. We've got an open day next Friday and would like to get out for a ride. I've hunted around the websites for shops that rent Mtn. Bikes in Rockford and have come up empty. I do see a couple of shops in Madison that rent bikes and it's only a little more than an hour drive from where we are staying to Madison, so we are thinking of heading up that way in search of some fun.

I've done a little searching around on the CORP website and looked at the trail descriptions, but was wondering - if you had only one day in the Madison area where would you ride? We are both very fit, very experienced riders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    rctrailcrew.org

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    Thanks for the link! How do the Kettle Moraine trails compare to the trails around Madison? If you could only choose one, which would you pick?

We are pretty flexible to the type of trail - technical would be great, fast and flowy would be great, tight and twisty would be great, pretty much the only thing we don't want are flat, wide, road-like "trails".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Thanks for the link! How do the Kettle Moraine trails compare to the trails around Madison? If you could only choose one, which would you pick?

We are pretty flexible to the type of trail - technical would be great, fast and flowy would be great, tight and twisty would be great, pretty much the only thing we don't want are flat, wide, road-like "trails".
    Kettle Moraine trails have great flow, especially the John Muir end. The difficulty level tends toward beginner-intermediate. There's over 30 miles of trail in various loop combinations.

Cam-Rock Area 3 near Rockdale has 7+ miles of trail. There's a bit of everything, including a massive log ride, a great swooping downhill, skinnies in various places, and some open field riding. Probably the favorite trail of local riders.

Quarry Park, Quarry Ridge, and Pleasant View are in the Madison Metro area. They are all a lot of fun, but are on the small side. Pleasant View has a recently expanded pump track.

Blue Mound is between Mount Horeb and Barneveld on Hwy 18, about 30 min west of town. It has about 13 miles of singletrack. The main loop around the mound starts out rocky and rooty and gets more difficult from there with very tight lines. The Over Lode loop has more flow and fewer rocks.

Walt

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the descriptions - very helpful!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    This is where I would recommend as well ! Good quality rides for rent and very close to some great trails. The deli has great sammies for after your ride.

I would ride Emma and the connector. If you want more, some or all of John Muir. Emma is tighter singletrack, more technical and more climbs if you like that type of riding.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the trail and rental advice. My wife and I rented a couple of bikes from Backyard Bikes, pedaled the road up to the Muir system and road the Blue and Orange loops. We also played around a bit in the skills park. It's a fun trail system and pretty well matched the descriptions that I read online. Well except the part about "challenging climbs". Whoever wrote that needs to come ride out west Kudos to the trailbuilders and maintainers, we really had a fun time out there. If anyone ever makes it to the Seattle area and wants to ride, PM me and I'll be happy to return the favor.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail and rental advice. My wife and I rented a couple of bikes from Backyard Bikes, pedaled the road up to the Muir system and road the Blue and Orange loops. We also played around a bit in the skills park. It's a fun trail system and pretty well matched the descriptions that I read online. Well except the part about "challenging climbs". Whoever wrote that needs to come ride out west Kudos to the trailbuilders and maintainers, we really had a fun time out there. If anyone ever makes it to the Seattle area and wants to ride, PM me and I'll be happy to return the favor.
    Glad the day worked out for you ! I do have to say that my comment about more technical and more climbs was only pertaining to the Emma Carlin loop compared to the John Muir loop. I'm well aware that the hills in WI are ant hills compared to out west, maybe my wording wasn't clear but the words "challenging climbs" weren't written in my post so I'm not sure where you got that.
    Last edited by dickeydoo; 10-07-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey dickeydoo, I was referring to this trail description and rating here:

Fat Tire Guides - Wisconsin mountain bike trail maps and guides

I was just having a little chuckle over the trail description/rating. But, I want to say that while the Muir trails may not have the elevation change we enjoy out here, they were still darn fun to ride, and I am happy I took the time to drive up and sample them!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nordic Mountain anyone?

mtbr member
    Hey dickeydoo, I was referring to this trail description and rating here:

Fat Tire Guides - Wisconsin mountain bike trail maps and guides

I was just having a little chuckle over the trail description/rating. But, I want to say that while the Muir trails may not have the elevation change we enjoy out here, they were still darn fun to ride, and I am happy I took the time to drive up and sample them!