• 12-29-2012
    tradtke
    looking for a riding partner
    I've been out of biking for the past two years in order to tend to more important issues, but now that I'm getting back into gear (literally) I'm looking for someone to ride with in the wisconsin (milwaukee area). I consider myself an intermediate rider. My favorite type's of trails are either cross country, or technical singletrack. I also like to travel to other states for some new riding.
    My wife likes to ride, but as I call it more of a Sunday rider so if you have a significant other has the same feelings while we do trails they can do their Sunday riding.

Both of us are fair weather riders so not much of winter riders.

A little off the subject but. I'n the past i've done multiday adventure racing, but since it seems like there are no more muti-day races anymore, i'm starting to get involved in Extreme obstical courses, if that would be of interest to you. If your intersted let me know. I'm planning on doing a Tough Mudder in GA in April.
  • 12-30-2012
    Moto Rider
    You can try hooking up with a local group. Here is a link, this should get you rolling.

Click Me!!
  • 12-30-2012
    tradtke
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links, I'll definitly look into these.

The only problem I've had with clubs is that the ones I have looked at are mostly interested in only organizing group rides. Dont' get me wrong, group rides are fun, but I've always been the hit the trailes with 1-3 other riders, type of person.
  • 01-01-2013
    kimikaw
    Metro Mountain Bikers does a couple of weekly (or semi-weekly rides) in and around Milwaukee. While I realize you're not into group rides, may be a great place to meet folks. The Wed night ride at Alpha / Crystal is a timed ride (so kinda individual with a group). In past I was intimidated by the concept, but plan on doing them next summer (assuming with the Rock changes, they still will exist). Good way yo benchmark progress, and from talking to some of the women who ride them, a very nice mix of abilities and speeds - along with a friendly atmosphere. The Odd Tuesday rides are usually at the city trails in Wauwatosa (Hoyt and Oak Hill), I suspect they are more of what you are looking for. Again, great opportunity to meet folks.

I suspect hubby, son and I are probably somewhere between you and your wife on skill set - or I'd offer us up. We usually ride every weekend, either in town (ALpha/Oak Hill Hoyt) or down at the Muir trails or up at New Fane. Typically not very long rides with lots of stops (but I'm pushing that idea in the future - both in more length and less rest periods). Our issue is getting it together for a set meet time. Weekends seem to be a bit loose in our house.
  • 01-04-2013
    tradtke
    riding partners
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Metro Mountain Bikers does a couple of weekly (or semi-weekly rides) in and around Milwaukee. While I realize you're not into group rides, may be a great place to meet folks. The Wed night ride at Alpha / Crystal is a timed ride (so kinda individual with a group). In past I was intimidated by the concept, but plan on doing them next summer (assuming with the Rock changes, they still will exist). Good way yo benchmark progress, and from talking to some of the women who ride them, a very nice mix of abilities and speeds - along with a friendly atmosphere. The Odd Tuesday rides are usually at the city trails in Wauwatosa (Hoyt and Oak Hill), I suspect they are more of what you are looking for. Again, great opportunity to meet folks.

I suspect hubby, son and I are probably somewhere between you and your wife on skill set - or I'd offer us up. We usually ride every weekend, either in town (ALpha/Oak Hill Hoyt) or down at the Muir trails or up at New Fane. Typically not very long rides with lots of stops (but I'm pushing that idea in the future - both in more length and less rest periods). Our issue is getting it together for a set meet time. Weekends seem to be a bit loose in our house.

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of timed rides, but done in a group that does not have the attitude of "im better than you because i'm faster" and if it is what you described, it seems more a personal challenge. I love ridding at Kettle, allthough I've heard the trails are taking a beating because of so much traffic and abusive riding when its wet. Last time I rode we hit a lot of sand traps to, which is kind of a pain. My wife is more of a sunday stroll type of rider. It's been hard to find a couple with our same situation. I (we) also love to travel out of state for new trails. thanks again.
  • 01-05-2013
    Moto Rider
    The only thing I can suggest, is join a riding group that has a forum. Then make post of a ride you would like to do along with the riding pace. Then, from the start everyone who shows up will be on the same page. If everyone clicks, those are the individuals you contact next time.

This is the only other alternative. Other wise, you could be waiting a long time for someone to find you.

Good Luck. ;)
  • 01-05-2013
    cjohnson
    attitude!
    I have not experienced any of the "attitude" you described the handful of times I've been on Metro rides.

Kettle trails were in great shape this Summer. The surface may change depending on the Season and weather, but for the most part, the DNR does a great job of keeping bikes off wet trails. Where the DNR lacks is keep hikers of wet trails.