mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Levis-Trow Mounds

Might do an Epic with some guys coming in May. Coming from the Twin Cities, this is quite drive for me and I would like to know if it's worth the trip.
    I've searched about this trail and could not find out some answers to my questions.
    1. How long is/can the trail be? I've read that it could be 16 miles. To me, that is kinda short.
    2. We are planning to camp out (bike packing). Is there a place to camp outside at the trail or close by?

Bear

Levis....

Just curious but where do you find trail systems in the Midwest that are consistently longer than 16 miles? Sure CAMBA in Northern Wisconsin is huge but really most midwest trail systems aren't super long.

Anyhow.....last year I raced at levis and we did a 12.5 mile course. The sweet thing for you is that even though that race course was awesome there was a still a fair amount of trail that wasn't touched.

http://service.govdelivery.com/docs/...0081201_en.pdf

From that map the race never touched Goat Dance, Cliffhanger, Sidewinder, Snodgrass, Cork Screw,

You can put together a 3+ hour ride at Levis pretty easily without retracing your steps.

Camping on the trail....not sure if this is permitted or not....have seen evidence up on top of the mound.............................

I don't think you will be dissappointed by Levis....especially if you have never ridden there before. It is certainly one that belongs on your "must ride" checklist.

Bear

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Regarding the mileage, I would love to find a place that was longer than 16 miles, but I don't think there is one in the Midwest other than CAMBA.

I was thinking if I was going to drive 3+ hours to ride, the ride better be longer than the drive.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Regarding Levis-Trow

The ride here is longer then 16 miles. It is an IMBA Epic and by standards must meet 20+ miles. The 12 mile race loop is just that, a race loop. Start from the small parking lot right off of HWY 95 and proceed onto Select Cut to Dead Turkey to Swampcut to Yellow Jacket to Buck Hill, watch for the T and take a sharp right onto Goat Dance. Goat Dance is a lollypop loop and so will come back onto itself. Proceed back to Buck Hill only this time take a right back onto it all the way to Fox Hole. Here one can take the ski trail up or Fox Hole over to Hermosa, either way pop back up to the conjunction of Yellow Jacket and Buck Hill, here you will find just to the left the new Sidewinder trail, a must do! Sidewinder will come back into upper Hermosa and proceed to ride upper to middle to lower Hermosa to Toad Road only for a short distance then jump onto Swithback and follow all trails to Cliffhanger, Northface, Porkiespoint, to Upper Glen unto Lower Glen and finally to Snodgrass which will take you back to your starting point. You will end up with about a 27+ mile ride and for giggles add in a couple extra smaller trails for views and fun, maybe some reverses and one can kick out a huge ride. I've tallied a 36'er and was too out to do anymore for that day!
    As for CAMBA, simply do all of Rock Lake ST ( starting at Rock Lake Trailhead ) and into the Namakagon parking area. Proceed to take left over to maintenance buildings and up in the right hand corner, there is some signage, jump unto the Namakagon SingleTrack and loop back towards lower Rock Lake trails such as Glacier or crossover/shortcut trails back unto Rock Lake ( you would not have done this because of getting unto Namakagon ) and ride north back to your starting point. The distance is a surprise and hard if not in shape, but that's why its an IMBA Epic!

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004
    There is camping at Russell Memorial Park, which is about 3 miles south of the trails. There are showers and electricity as well.

I used to come up to this area on weekends for riding and we always stayed at the park.

Link below,

http://www.co.clark.wi.us/ClarkCount...mp/Russell.asp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, this is just the thing I want to hear.
    One more question: Which bike do I bring, a FS or hardtail?

Bear

Bike choice....

Perfectly rideable on either.

If you are making a really long day of it might want to throw the FS in to compensate for the roots and rocks you will encounter.

I don't think the hardtail would hold you back.

Bear

No longer 26
    I rode there last week. I prefer a FS there although it need not be long travel or anything. Make sure you have tires that float through sand but hook up on loose over hard too. If there is any rain, snodgrass will get muddy in spots. I always park at the new trail center about a mile off of 95. A bit quieter and nicer area to park / hang out.

From there you hit the trail from the SW corner of the lot and explore the first time out. Plenty of signage everywhere. Once you get the hang of it you can loop it pretty well. I usually do a couple of laps when I am there. Just never gets old for me so I would not worry too much about the length.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There is about 20 miles of trails there, but by the time you climb up the main mound to do all the downhills, you add a lot of mileage. It's a fun place to ride and has some incredible views from the tops of the mounds.

If you can handle not having showers, you can camp at the trailhead/ski shelter. There is running water and flush toilets and cheap camping. The advantage of camping at the main trailhead is that it is cheap, convenient to ride from, and most importantly more peaceful. The county campground three miles to the south tends to attract the ATV crowd so it is a bit noisy. I've camped many times at the trailhead and think it is the way to go!

Witty McWitterson
    uh, its the midwest....we HAVE to drive that far to get to stuff!

//Levis is WELL worth it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it was a great ride. I didn't have a lot of time to ride out there but will definitely go back soon to ride. I snapped a few pictures with my cell phone (sorry about the crap quality).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ok, so I'm convinced and I wanna go try this trail. I'm in Millwaukee(Waukesha), Wi. for training and I'll be here for 4 weeks. I'm from Oklahoma city and I want to check this puppy out. I'd like to check it out one of these weekends. How do I get there? Is it a trail that I would need to ride with a local? I brought my 6in. All mountain rig and by the posts I'm assuming it may be a little over the top. I'll be here for 3 weekends and so far, I have Kettle, Bluemound, and now Levi. Is this a pretty good choice? Give me all the info you guys got. Thanks in advance.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    uh, its the midwest....we HAVE to drive that far to get to stuff!

//Levis is WELL worth it.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. But it does make it all that much more worth it.
    The more I read about it, the more tempted I want to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    When are you thinking of going the-one1?
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

luv 2ride2

The FS is really nice on this trail and 6 inches is never too much. Snodgrass was very dry on the 15th, but we can use the moisture. Just got 7 in. of snow today in Eagle River with more still coming down. Tomorrow will be my first spring snow ride of the year....on my MTBike. Getting in some great roading though.

Take I-94 out of Milwaukee up to Black River Falls, onto St. HWY 27/12. Go approximately 12 or 13 miles to HWY 95 take a right bearing East about 5 miles to either the small parking lot off 95 or next left to bigger lot. I too like camping for whole weekends and rattling up the rides. Usually friendly people there taking it all in also. Have FUN!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Ok, so I'm convinced and I wanna go try this trail. I'm in Millwaukee(Waukesha), Wi. for training and I'll be here for 4 weeks. I'm from Oklahoma city and I want to check this puppy out. I'd like to check it out one of these weekends. How do I get there? Is it a trail that I would need to ride with a local? I brought my 6in. All mountain rig and by the posts I'm assuming it may be a little over the top. I'll be here for 3 weekends and so far, I have Kettle, Bluemound, and now Levi. Is this a pretty good choice? Give me all the info you guys got. Thanks in advance.
    It's reasonable easy to follow. There are maps at the trailhead and maps and trail markers out there. Google the trail and you will find the website with directions to the trail.

The real mecca of Wisconsin mountain biking is the Cable and Hayward area (CAMBA trails). You may have to wait until May for these to dry out. There is a lot of single track up there. Lacrosse (HPT trails) and Wausau (Nine Mile) also have some good stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    When are you thinking of going the-one1?
    Memorial day weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm leaving wisconsin and heading back to Okie land mid May. Can anyone share some insight on the crystal ridge/alpha trail system? That may be the one I'll ride during the weekdays if it ever clears up and the dirt dries. You guys sure get alot of precipitation up here.

Witty McWitterson
    Here's a link to more pics from last years GnomeFest.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4810756...7607179468304/

DSC_4955

DSC_4916

I crashed on that rock that RenderedUseless posted.
    Just a regular guy.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by RenderedUseless
    I think it was a great ride. I didn't have a lot of time to ride out there but will definitely go back soon to ride. I snapped a few pictures with my cell phone (sorry about the crap quality).
    Nice pics Sally, but who left that ugly purple bike in the middle of the trail?
    Oh yeah just to let you know I will be going to Iola by myself if you want a free lift there, but no posers allowed you will have to race.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Registration is for GF6 at Levis Trow is now OPEN!!! ......And you can even purchase a limited edition signed and number 18x24 print of Adam's artwork for GF6. whoopwhoop. I so can't wait to ride Levis Trow again.

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...f-aa2e121bf5c1

mtbr member
    Don't forget...Gnome-Fest is a brewing!
    Register today at www.gnome-fest.net.

mtbr member
    Whoa! Just added with more on the way.

mtbr member
    This just in....Gnome Fest 6 Pre-Registration has been extended until September 2nd! After receiveing this photo, it would be completely unjust not recognize such dedication. So click link below and register you and all your friends for Gnome-Fest 6. Btw, the socks this year just might be tall enough to cover up such fine work should the wearer ever decide to.....just sayin'. Rates go up after the 2nd and you may not be able to get any socks, so register today!

REGISTER TODAY @ http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1744320&assetId=DA20D645-EB3C-435A-9C4F-AA2E121BF5C1