mtbr member

Levis Mound News & Work day

****work day****
    Sat. June 13th, 8:00 am, Levis Mound parking lot.
    We'll tackle maybe a half day project on Porky Point and Upper Glen.

Several newsworthy items have ben popping up on the Levis Radar-

1) Next week, June 18th, there will be a Clark County Forest tour by a large group of Wisconsin County Forest Agents (?) as part of a conference to be held in Neillsville over the course of a few days. One stop is at Levis and they will be looking at XC ski trails, Singletrack and our general trail system there. Since that is coming up quickly, I'd like to get Porky Point done as far as touch up work and the re-route on the far east end. That would be good for the tour to see how singletrack is built.

2) Our new Clark County game warden has contacted the forestry dept. about the construction of a 120+ mile hiking/backpacking trail, linking Jackson County (state and county forest) and the Clark County Forest, including a section through Levis Mound. It is in the planning stages, but is hoped to be in process by The National Trails Day 2010. This could be a very cool project for the area.

3) WEMS race- the Levis Mound 100 mi Mtn. Bike race is July 11th (http://www.wemseries.com/levis_trow.html)

4)Some of our retired trail users are looking at constructing a fire ring out of native stone near the chalet-still working on the plan and location for that, but it will be a nice addition for groups using Levis Mound.

5) We are in the process of planning a new bike Skills area which will include balance ramps, teeters, low bridges, log rides etc. We are looking at several locations along a singletrack somewhere. This will have to be approved by the Trails Advisory Committee.

No longer 26
    Is there ever any chance of even more trail at L-T? I am not complaining at all. It is my favorite place to ride. Just wondering if there is room or plans for any more miles of ST.

Thanks
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Is there ever any chance of even more trail at L-T? I am not complaining at all. It is my favorite place to ride. Just wondering if there is room or plans for any more miles of ST.

Thanks
    G
    There are plans....but the county has put the kabash on anything "new" out there (or on any countrytrail) We have a 1 1/2 mi singletraqck planned out, at no cost to the county, but they still won't even look at at. Sooo the answer is: none will be built for now. If the 120+ mi hiking trail is built, then maybe we'd have access to that thru Levis and Trow Mound-that is in the planning stages right now.