Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    =========
    KettlePalooza

Roc
    mtbr member
    Looking forward to it! I'll make plans to attend

Living in Oshkosh, Greenbush is where I ride the most, most only being once a week

Eric

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by Roc
    Looking forward to it! I'll make plans to attend

Living in Oshkosh, Greenbush is where I ride the most, most only being once a week

Eric
    That's awesome!.
    ..please bring your riding buddies

Bear

With Bells on!!

Heading from Madison to CAMBA on Monday that week.....riding CAMBA Tue/Wed/Thur then driving down to Greenbush for the festivities!!

Three of us for sure.....working on more.

Bear
    www.madcitydirt.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Loop four construction at Greenbush has started. The DNR has informed me that they hope to have the loop rough cut for us by Kettlepalooza. This is where you all come into play. We'll have plenty of hand work to do and would much appreciate your help. So bring your bike, work boots, work gloves, and we'll put you to work. In return for your contribution is free camping, food, lots of riding, and good cheer. Hope to see you there!

Weird Eh
    I`m there

mtbr member
    In!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Counting Down to Kettlepalooza and Thanks to the Head Gnomes!

Hey Everyone,

Kettlepalooza is only a few short weeks away. For those of you recovering from Gnomefest you'll have plenty of time to regroup for round two. Although Kettlepalooza is going to follow a slightly different format, lacking the crazy events that Gnomefest is famous for, we'll have plenty of fun, food and riding to go around. On that note I'd like to thank Gnomefest organizers Anitra, Kieker and JayPee for their generous donation to Kettlepalooza as well. Kettlepalooza is your opportunity as an Mtb'r to help give back to the trails by helping us complete the final loop of the new Greenbush trail system. We'll also be recognizing WI's best Trail Advocate and Trail System as voted for on Mtbr. These people deserve tons of recognition for their hard work. Besides the Saturday trail building and advocate recognition we'll be having group rides for all skills levels and men, women, and children. Night rides as well on Friday and Saturday. We'll be having a cookout and camp fire on Saturday night also. As part of the trail building on Saturday DNR personel will be giving a short presentation on invasive species and why we as mtb'rs should be concerned. Remember this is all at no cost to you as a participant other then getting dirty with cool tools such as mclouds, pulaskis, and loppers for a few hours on Saturday. Free camping, food, and a bunch of riding. You can't go wrong so don't miss it. Stay tuned for more updates as we secure an itinerary for all the activities.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Kettlepalooza - Update

It's on everyone. I met with the Forest Superintendant last night to make final preperations. We'll be posting an itinerary by the end of the week. Two group camping sites have been reserved for Friday and Saturday night for our group as well as the use of the shelter for Saturday. No trail passes or park passes required for volunteers and free camping. Tools will be provided by the Northern Kettle Moraine DNR but if you have access to trail building tools please bring them along as we want enough to go around. We'll have transportation available to transport tools and refreshments to the work site provided by the DNR. This is a great opportunity to get a lot of trail work done. Loop four has been roughed out and adds an additional 2+ miles to the trail system making a total, per my cyclocomputer, of about 9.5 miles of singletrack. We need to work the back cut, move some dirt, and trim some roots. With enough people we could potentially get this done. Then we get to ride! Followed by FOOD! More riding You get the idea!

Weird Eh
    Who`s getting there on Friday? I`m considering heading up right after work

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Friday Arrival

I will be there Friday shortly after work. Probably about 3:30. I believe Gomez will be there earlier in the day. Anyone else post up so we know who to expect on Friday night. Enter the park at the main gate of the lower parking lot and we'll direct you from there for camping and parking.

Bear

I'm in....

Myself and two others will be pulling in on Friday.

Bear

=========
    KP EVENT Schedule

FRIDAY

Noon 10 pm Arrival and Camping Set Up in Group Sites 8 & 9

~8:00 pm - Friday Night Ride Bring Lights

SATURDAY

8:30 am Gather for the workday at the shelter

8:45 - 9:15 Invasive species presentation, safety discussion, Award presentation

9:15 am -10:00 am Depart for worksite and organize crews at site

10:00 - 1:00 Trailbuilding

2:15 - 2:45 Kids Race & Ride - (IMBA TAke a Kid Mountain Biking Celebration)

2:45 pm - Ladies Ride, Group Rides, Hangin' Out

6:00 - Kettlepalooza BBQ
    - Brats - Chicken. - Hamburgers - Corn on the Cob - Soda - Beer - all complimentary to Kettlepalooza participants thanks to generous donations from WORBA, The FatCats and Gnome-Fest!

7:30 - Just before Dark - Derby

Group Camp Fire

SUNDAY

Morning - Group Rides at Greenbush

Afternoon - Group Ride at New Fane?
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 09-24-2009 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Aww man people are gonna derby an hour away and I have to go to a wedding!

=========
    Randy and I are gonna have a Derby Grudge Match!

mtbr member

Do good work and have fun?

Ox, the boys and I will be there Friday night as well. Not sure how much trail work Brody will do but Bryce is down with some hard work.
    I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike... - Susan B. Anthony 1896

=========
    You will find directions to K-Palooza on page 2 of this pdf from the WI-DNR Site

Keep a good thought for dry weather!!!

g

mtbr member
    I Know my family will share in that!!!

=========

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well it looks like Sunday has cleared up. Let's hope this trend continues and Saturday clears as well. We still plan on trail building if it is a light rain so bring your rain coat. A heavy rain may cause issues though. In that case we'll wait it out or end up eating and drinking in the shelter and performing the no-rain-dance. The schedule isn't writtin in stone so we can be flexible. The trails dry up rather quick in this neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    The trails dry up rather quick in this neck of the woods.

No they don't. Hardpack dirt = slime. I wish you good folks luck!

=========
    I always say, when the weather is rough....it's a great day to build trail. My favorite trail days at S. Kettle are the ones in March, as long as the ground isn't frozen.

If you ride at Greenbush, come by and help expand your trails...meet Randy, and sign up for emails on future trail events at the Northern Kettles. Meet trailblazer Dave and congratulate him on being voted the MTB Trail Advocate of the year in WI.

Meet other riders that call Greenbush their home trail, and like-minded individuals from across the state.

Everything is going to be just fine,

g

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live within riding distance of these trails. Ride them multiple times per week and have been building them for over two years. I have a pretty good feel as to how they dry. Might be a hour's wait but the water soaks in quickly and that outer layer of slime you've mentioned drys right up. Shouldn't have an effect on trail building, which is the major purpose of this event, and as Gomez states these are the best days to build trail. COOL and NO BUGS! Hell if we can't ride Saturday we might just build trail all day and then be able to ride the complete system on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Group Sites 8 and 9, Set-up Requirements, and Schedule

When you pull into the main lot (large lower lot) continue straight on the gravel road for probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Turn left and site 8 is on the left and site 9 is at the end of the road on the right. Site 9 is adjacent to the bike trail.

Absolutely no vehicles or campers on the grass, even to unload. They must be set-up on the gravel pads adjacent to the sites or along the access road. The Forest Superintendent said he would have one side of the road marked no parking so everyone will need to stay on the opposite side. Only tents on the grass.

I know it is going to suck if it's raining for people to unload gear but the Superintendent stressed this several times and with it being wet this is even more important. Please, please spread the word if other people are setting up before I get there.

The State Forest has been very gracious for everything we've asked for and this was their only real concern so I don't want to ruin this by one of these sites getting tore up and please respect the no parking signs. If parking becomes a space issue we may need to shuttle vehicles to the main lot after set-up.

As stated before the schedule is flexible based on weather. If it is too wet to build trail on Saturday we can do some work Sunday morning for those people who stick around.

=========
    KP Packing - Derby Champion?
    [SIZE="2"]The winner of the Derby gets to share this with any or all of the brave souls that come tomorrow.....kind of a 'win/win' situation[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast