=========

Kettle Moraine South - Workday Info

This is info generated by Dave Mangan - Kettle South Trail Steward

It’s that time of year again………….…TrailBuildin’ Season!

The John Muir Trail Systems

All Volunteer TrailBuilding Crew

will begin its TrailBuilding season on Saturday, March 14

You’ve enjoyed the Trails….. NOW come and ‘give a little back’ to the Trails that you Love!

Last year we enjoyed an increase of Volunteers who, with their dedicated work, made many, MANY improvements on the John Muir Trails, and also built a LOT of New Trail!

For those of you who helped last year, we Thank You very much for your efforts. We got a LOT of new trails opened; some interesting, some challenging, but all much safer then what we had before. It was done with some hard work and sweat, but we also had a lot of FUN too!!

This year we have a New Challenge.

The Emma Carlin Trails – the last jewel in Our Trail System, needs OUR Help!

Last September we contracted to have IMBA’s Trail Solutions come out and redesign the deteriorating Emma Carlin Trails. They arrived in November and……. We have a whole New Trail System to build! COOL!!! Just think of it…… adding that Trail to Our expanding loops!.......Talk about OPTIONS!

Now, we still do have some areas on the John Muir Trails that needs Our attention, and some on the Connector that we can do this year, SO……… we are gonna need a Larger Volunteer Work Crew then we’ve ever had before. I’m confident that with YOUR Help, we will see ALL of the improvements realized.

Let’s see what we can do to ‘Get the job done!

We will start working the first Saturday in March, and will continue with our ‘Volunteer Workdays’ every Saturday thru April and May, to June 6th – National Trails Day – and OUR WorkCrews TrailBuilding Celebration!

Our Meeting time and place will be at the John Muir TrailHead Parking Lot

at 8:30 am, every Saturday, with our Starting time to work at 9:00 am.

We will supply all the tools. We suggest that you have work gloves, and we recommend that you wear long sleeved shirts and long pants. We be cuttin’ trail through the woods!

Come Out and Help, Please!

….and have some FUN!

THANKing YOU in advance!

TrailBlazer Dave

mtbr member
    wow. they start early. that is awesome. i cant make this weekend but i want to help and as stated in another post i heart manual labor.
    i'm embarassed to say i've only ridden so. kettles a few times in my 18yrs living here. that will change this summer...
    is there ane-mail dist list or newsletter i can be added to?
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly 29'er

mtbr member
    My 10 year old started biking out there with me last year, she'd be excited to come along. Kids are okay I assume?

=========
    Serotonin - I've seen kids at the work days, but you may want to drop an email to Dave to make sure, cuz he's the deciderer (email is below).

mikeinwi - to be added to the email list for work day info, send an email to dave at dmangan at wi dot rr dot com

I can't make it this week, but i plan on being there on the 21st and onward. I'll probably do some road rides from the Muir Parking Lot after the work days.

What's really awesome is the overhaul of the Emma Trail Cluster......lots of really cool potential......lots of rocks!

mtbr member
    Yeah that trail has a LOT of potential. Very exciting! Thanks for the email addy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Kids

I have been bringing my kids out the last couple years. I typically find an area away from the rest of the group so they are clear of swinging tools. Dave has always been cool about it.

I figure its an investment in future trail building. Plus my nine year got a kick out of riding on the trail he helped build last year. We will be back for sure.

=========
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 04-03-2009 at 06:35 AM.

=========
    Kettle Workday 3-21-09 Orange Re-Route

Lots of rock work and benching today.....the orange loop is going to be so rock'n the next time you ride it!

mtbr member

Trail work

I'm hoping to make it this next Saturday If I can get out of work. How was it today ? Will the Emma work begin soon or did it today. Emma being redone is the next best thing to happen at the Kettle since the 2 way connector trail.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    I'm not certain, but I think the plan is to star work on EC this coming Saturday

=========
    Kettle Work Day 3-28-09

the trail crew re-routed the blue green trail to bypass the big sand pit and some fresh logging, yesterday......I'm looking at about 7-8" of fresh snow that fell last night that will probably be gone by next Saturday's trail day. These are the days...

=========
    Anyway,

Our plan of attack for THIS Saturday, April 4, will be:

The Emma Carlin Transformation! Yup, it’s Time to START its resurgence!

*We still do have some areas to work on at the Muir and some on the Connector that will be on OUR WorkDay List for later on in the spring, but for now it’s ‘Time to Get Started on Emma’!

Come and be a part of this ‘Ground Breaking’ (pun intended) Event! Be able to say “I WAS THERE” at the beginning! Bring friends!

Soooo…..we be meetin’ in the John Muir Parking Lot at 8:30am just like usual. We will collect tools and then drive to the Emma Carlin TrailHead (some may not know how to get there); Leaving the Muir at 9:00am – arriving at Emma at 9:15am (for those who insist on going to Emma directly – or those who may come late).

The above quote is from Dave Mangan about this Saturday's Trail Care Event.

I hiked all over Emma yesterday and all the snow was gone and the trail tread was pretty firm. By the looks of all the pink trail marking tape out there, it looks like a pretty extensive renovation of that trail system is ready to get started. Lots of brushing and benching by the looks of what we saw, but Dave will let us know what needs to be done on Saturday morning. It won't be long till we get to ride some of that new trail!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Emma Carlin

I'll be there Saturday morning with my boys. There is so much potential at EC, I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Let's hope for 47 people again to help things move along quickly!

=========
    Kettle Workday - Emma Carlin - 4-4-09
    Just the tip of the iceberg at the new Emma F. Carlin, Mountain Bike - Flying Circus

=========

4/11 Trail Event Report from Dave Mangan

Keeping you informed of the GOOD work being done on YOUR Trails

TrailBuilding UPDATE of 4-11-09:

Saturday was a HUGE day for ‘the Crew’ and for the Carlin Transformation! We had OVER FIFTY Volunteers out on the Emma Carlin Trails determined to rebuild the deteriorating Trail System! (people kept showing up even after we were out working), OH, MY, GO……!!!

THANK YOU!!!

When I arrived at the Carlin Parking Lot (running a little late ‘cuz I had to stop at the Muir to get a mower to use and also put up a few signs saying we were meetin’ at the Carlin for those who forgot) I was surprised by so many cars. Normally, you might see up to three cars total in the Carlin Lot on a BUSY day – probably because of the condition of the Trails. This lot was full!.... and there was a lot of LOUD ‘chatter’ going on as the people mingled in the lot. The weather was good, sunny and you just knew it was gonna get warmer as the day progressed.

We started with six different Groups of Volunteers spread out in different locations, working on separate Trail Sections, all at the same time. I was walking from one to the other to the other to the ….. the work areas were a long way apart. My feet were hurting from walking so far checking on each Group - in case they had any questions! One-by-one they completed the area they were working on and moved ahead to catch up with, and help, the next group. It wasn’t long before there was ONE BIG MASS of working Volunteers. They then, collectively ‘Consumed’ large amounts of unclaimed territory (oh, I love that visual) making some Fantastic Trail! WoW! It was Impressive. And the Trail was done Very well! We seem to now have some ‘finishers’ at the back of the pack who know HOW to make the final adjustments to make the Trail perfect. THAT is a BIG Help! Thanks ‘Finishing ‘ Crew!!

I found myself chuckling when I thought back to the Thursday before the WorkDay, when I was out on the Trail with DNR Don Dane evaluating and making some flagging adjustments to the section of Trail that we would be working on THIS Saturday. I had said that with a good crew my goal would be to ‘clear the new Trail Section up to the ‘OverLook’. He said, with a grin, “That’s a L-O-N-G section of Trail and you WON’T be able to get that far on one Saturday – maybe two”!………….”Heh, Heh”, Yep, we not only cleared that section of Trail TO the OverLook, but we went quite a ways past! AND….. we benched ALL but the last few feet of that Trail! Did I say…. WOW!? Anyway, I had a satisfying personal moment! This Crew is Good!

I’m awestruck at what has developed by the Individual Volunteers who are coming out to help. Each week, I’m introduced to a Volunteer’s, friend, neighbor, girlfriend, son, wife, co-worker, etc. who they have brought along. THAT is what is getting us these Big Crews. The Volunteers are getting excited by the Large amounts of TrailWork that they can see get done each WorkDay. It’s feeding off of itself. That’s a good thing. Of course, it could be that people are finding this to be just good exercise and/or it’s the opportunity to be out in nature that is the draw, but that’s OK if it is. We are Glad to have them, and YOU, coming out.

The next Emma Carlin Trail Care Event is Saturday Morning, April 18th at 8:30 am, meeting at the Emma Carlin Trailhead Parking Lot.

mtbr member
    Thats great. Thanks for all of the hard work ! How much of Emma is left to build? 1/2?
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo
    Thats great. Thanks for all of the hard work ! How much of Emma is left to build? 1/2?
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

I'd say we're only one fifth of the way around the new outer loop. The outer loop is going to be ~ 6.4 miles. The current Green loop is 4 miles. There'll be an inner loop that will be over 4 miles as well.

The 'Overlook' that Dave mentions in his trail report, is not the one at the northern terminus of the Connector Trail. It's the one that is accessed off a spur trail that splits (right) off of the old green loop just at the top of the first 'matted' climb just past two ponds, near the beginning of Emma.

=========

5/30/2009 workday -

Meet at Muir and bring a rake with you, if you have one. The new section of the connector that was roughed in last year, then was closed by logging will be the target work area.

8:30 am at the Muir Trailhead

If you're running later than 9.....park on BLUFF ROAD, EAST of Hwy H. There is NO PARKING on Hwy H or on Bluff road WEST of Hwy H.

I haven't been in a couple of weeks, so we're gonna go rake some trail for a spell, then ride the new emma with some connector on the side.

That's 2 - mara - morning,

g

=========
    IMG_0070
    More sweet bench cut trail at Kettle.

We finnished the first section of the new connector - connector with long new re-routes and a rebuilt log feature. Next week is National Trail Day with a BBQ after the workday.

You can look at all this season's trail building photo's at http://www.flickr.com/groups/1022089@N25/pool/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what part of connecter trail will be new north or south? when will be done?

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by dbikeco
    what part of connecter trail will be new north or south? when will be done?
    Not Really New....more like re-newed....The section of renewed connector is the section that bypasses what we ride on bluff road now. It connects the top of Miller Hill (on the Muir Blue Loop) with the area where we pick up the N/S connector off of Bluff Road.

I don't know when they'll open it up....but my money is on soon.

g

=========
    Kettle REI Deja'vu
    a couple of new log features

Kettle REI Deja'vu

Kettle REI Deja'vu
    Trailblazer Dave leading us in Song

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    Not Really New....more like re-newed....The section of renewed connector is the section that bypasses what we ride on bluff road now. It connects the top of Miller Hill (on the Muir Blue Loop) with the area where we pick up the N/S connector off of Bluff Road.

I don't know when they'll open it up....but my money is on soon.

g

So no more having to ride on the road once this is done?

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    So no more having to ride on the road once this is done?

G
    That is correct....and its done...... and open.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    That is correct....and its done...... and open.
    I'll be there tomorrow..would have been today but I am teaching my daughter how to paint. Starting with the wood swingset...

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...