mtbr member

Kettle Moraine South questions

Hi, all! I have some questions about Kettle Moraine South- I've camped there before but never rode any of the trails.

I see the trailhead is a little north of 12 on H. I see there is the Muir and Carlin trail systems. One system better than the other? Are they much different?

What should someone who has never ridden these trails know? I know about the fees- we usually get the parking pass since we camp a lot and I'll just have to also get the trail pass.

Hope to see some of you out there someday.

Thanks, guys!
    Eric
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

No longer 26
    There are connector trails between Muir and Emma. I suggest riding the whole thing if you have the time. When I do not have time for the whole thing I alternate between Muir + Connector and Emma + Connector. I really like the connector trails.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    There are connector trails between Muir and Emma. I suggest riding the whole thing if you have the time. When I do not have time for the whole thing I alternate between Muir + Connector and Emma + Connector. I really like the connector trails.
    G
    i should have enough time- i usually camp with my wife and son and i sneak away for a decent amount of time. so, is the connector trail actually a good trail, or is it like just a path between the two?

thanks, man!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    Its a great trail. The gates at the horse trails arent terribly fun though...... The trail there is good but the trail back is great. Enjoy it-- I will tomorrow!!!!

mtbr member
    how much time should i set aside to ride it all?
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    It takes roughly 4 hours from Muir parking back to Muir parking lot. That includes a quick break at Emma and a full loop there. Good times.

mtbr member
    great! thanks, jeff! i'm heading out there on thursday camping so i can probably spend some time thursday early afternoon scoping it out for a couple hours- then friday i can go for the whole thing. obviously, pending on conditions, but glad too much rain isn't in the forecast.

thanks again!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890