Hooked

Hunting season, which trails don't allow hunting

While I realize I could wear bright orange, I'm not comfortable riding trails during deer gun season in areas where hunting is permitted. That knocks out the Kettles for the time being. That said, I'm hoping the dry week we've had means trails will be rideable this weekend.

Last weekend I rode OakHill in metro Milwaukee, hoping to fit somewhere else this weekend. I know Alpha is an option (even if the Crystal Ridge part is closed)

Are there other options (esp in SE WI). Cam-Rock, Petrified Springs? Unsure which trails are on land that doesn't allow hunting.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you can't find a trail in WI. you could always go to Rock Cut State Park just down the road in IL. There is no hunting in parks in IL.for the regular public.
    rctrailcrew.org

Hooked
    Hmmm, unfamiliar with Rock Cut State Park. Assume over towards Rockford. I'm originally from Lake County, IL...but admit to now knowing the west and central parts of the state very well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    lake geneva canopy tours trails? i called this today as im in town for thanksgiving and they said they're open. dont know if youve been there but i went for a quick ride a few months back and my only complaint was the trail was so new the dirt had not packed in firm.

Hooked
    Lake Geneva Canopy Tours...that's a great suggestion. We've done the zips a couple of times, and have talked about riding there. One of those things you forget about. Now fingers crossed no more rain this week, and things get dy enough fr the weekend.

Last weekend kinda punted. Oak Hill. Then the family took our road bikes to Madison and rode around the Lakes and on a variety of paths before hubby and son went to the Badgers basketball game. Was fun, but never as fun as riding on dirt!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There is no hunting at Petrifying Springs.
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kimikaw View Post
    Lake Geneva Canopy Tours...that's a great suggestion. We've done the zips a couple of times, and have talked about riding there. One of those things you forget about. Now fingers crossed no more rain this week, and things get dy enough fr the weekend.

Last weekend kinda punted. Oak Hill. Then the family took our road bikes to Madison and rode around the Lakes and on a variety of paths before hubby and son went to the Badgers basketball game. Was fun, but never as fun as riding on dirt!
    got some rain last night/this morning, i went and rode kettle blue trail and the connector. first couple miles of the blue were a bit wet but the rest of the trail was in great shape. i got on the trail at 845 am so i would think by the end of the day most of the area trails will have dried out nicely.

Hooked
    Only had time for a really quick ride - close to home in the midst of my T-giving cooking and dinner prep. Oak Hill was in great shape today. Highlight of the ride was finally meeting Marty from Metro Mtn Bikers while on the trail.

viva la v-brakes!
    No hunting at Cam-Rock.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    No hunting at Cam-Rock.
    Thanks! That is *very* good to know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    No hunting at Cam-Rock.
    Not quite true. There is limited (lottery system) bow hunting in the park, but hunters are required to be at least 100 ft from any trails. I ran into a hunter in early fall who had one of the permits to hunt there (he was scouting). At any rate, safer than gun hunters; I was out there opening weekend.