Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

how do we go about getting WI it's own tab?

MI has it's own and we are waaaay better than them. haha. seriously. mods, what do we need to do?
    i'm getting back into mtn bike racing in 2009 and will post often about rides, trails, race results, where to get good cheap coffee, etc.
    tell us please...
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly 29'er

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    It's simple. Create enough interest. If the Midwest (or any other forum) needs to be re-organized, post up a poll. Generate enough interest, and if it's sufficient then we'll get the supermods involved.

Just curious how would YOU divvy up the Mid-west? When I hear of and think of the Mid-West... I think the Great lakes and KY. I'm sure others think differently too, and at least part of it depends on where they are.

But for those in Chicago, or Cincinnati, or even Toledo - it's about the same drive to get to trails in about three different states. Minnesota might not make sense for the Ohio folk, but Ohio might not make for the Chicago folk either. It's a compromise, and it is arbitrary too.

WI could fit into a Mid-West or Plains category, or even it's own. It's arbitrary. Just like splitting up Cali, or Colorado. We all want to be special and think we're important enough to warrant stuff just for ourselves.

But the area is also close enough to MI, MN, IL, and heck even parts of IN. And I know I've travelled from Indiana to Wisconsin to ride, and IL, and many parts of Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

We could have 50+ forums for each state, or parts of states, but then you would get all of 3 people to look at each of the forums.

For local traffic - your local forums are going to be your best bet. Check the FAQ above, or put up a post to see what's up, or just put WI in the thread titles and people will know where your talking about.

This seems to pop up every now and then, mostly when people can't actually ride.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

=========
    +1 vote for WI to have it's own board

mtbr member
    if anything WI, MI, IL, IN, etc should be classified as great lakes states but i'd rather just see a pure wisco tab. what say ye wisconsonites? let's have a brat fry and talk about it?

mtbr member
    mmm brats, and cheese and beer!

+1 from me im down for a wis-co tab!

Sweep the leg!
    Maybe if would help if the Mods think of it as 'isolating" us away from the "normal" forum members.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Singletrack Slacker
    GOMEZ, Maybe if you guys could get double digit viewers every now and then they might give you your own, NAH. Gary it was 50 deg today, great riding weather. I sure don't miss a snowy, frozen Kettle. Life in Fruita is GREAT.
    I need to ride moooore

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Maybe if would help if the Mods think of it as 'isolating" us away from the "normal" forum members.

Nyahh... I'll just watch for stuff from ya CP to lock. Yeah it's a joke.

And from the FAQ - a few of your local watering holes...

Wisconsin - Wisconsin Off Road Bicycling Association - www.worba.org
    Wisconsin - Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association - www.cambatrails.org
    Wisconsin - Levis Mound webpage - www.worba.org/nasti
    Wisconsin - Lakeland Area Mountain Biking Organization - www.lamboriders.org

And Ohio is a great lake state too! It's closer to WI from Toledo than from New Albany, maybe even just north of Paduka.

JmZ
    JmZ

=========
    Wow! those are some outdated links...... as forums go anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think you need to look at the participation you're getting in a group to see if it's justifiable to break off a new group. There's not a whole lot of activity in the midwest forum as it is, so I'm not sure you gain anything by breaking it up. If you look at Michigan's separate forum, they had less than 10 posts all of last month. I think a better argument could be made to put Michigan back into the Midwest forum, than to break it up even further.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    it is the end of our season here and the holidays are full on. once we get past New Years and peeps start buying new bikes with tax return checks the chatter will ratchet up.
    the 1st warm day in March and we'll all be chatting.

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckled
    GOMEZ, Maybe if you guys could get double digit viewers every now and then they might give you your own, NAH. Gary it was 50 deg today, great riding weather. I sure don't miss a snowy, frozen Kettle. Life in Fruita is GREAT.
    Tommy told me that you broke your chain twice before you left the parking lot last week, amigo......to much power?

I figure why not hijack this thread, cuz this thing ain't go'n nowhere (grammatical humor).
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 12-02-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Singletrack Slacker
    Yes sir, took the dog out on Thanksgiving and tried to catch up to him and Jerry on horsethief. I was 10 minutes late. Broke it twice within 10 minutes of dropping in, gave up on the second one, lowered the seat and coasted back to the cooler for beer.
    I need to ride moooore

mtbr member
    Wha Der Hey?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Nyahh... I'll just watch for stuff from ya CP to lock. Yeah it's a joke.

And from the FAQ - a few of your local watering holes...

Wisconsin - Wisconsin Off Road Bicycling Association - www.worba.org
    Wisconsin - Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association - www.cambatrails.org
    Wisconsin - Levis Mound webpage - www.worba.org/nasti
    Wisconsin - Lakeland Area Mountain Biking Organization - www.lamboriders.org

And Ohio is a great lake state too! It's closer to WI from Toledo than from New Albany, maybe even just north of Paduka.

JmZ
    I'm not sure if anybody actively edits and maintains the worba site the way it once was, but we have a very active site and group of people for the south central (Madison area) part of the state.

http://www.madcitydirt.org/

We do not have an email list like there once was, but when you register for the madcitydirt.org forum you can select a notify link for forum areas, topics and threads that will send you an email.

I'm plenty happy with and appreciate the forums as they are and appreciate info I gather about areas away from home.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinwi
    ...tell us please...
    WOW, first you guys run Bret Farve off, now you don't want to post with your neighbors. What's next, cheese and brat embargo? Come on, don't dump us, what did we do

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    WOW, first you guys run Bret Farve off, now you don't want to post with your neighbors. What's next, cheese and brat embargo? Come on, don't dump us, what did we do
    Hey, not me. I think it was 8-9 years ago when some KY riders here alerted me to some nice places to ride and when Walt Dizzy and I were at Fort Duffield I met a trail builder who inspired me. It helped lead to our making miles of trail here and our role at BMSP. I also appreciate the Interstate aspect to know what's up with land use issues and get ideas for travel.

I'll cast a 2nd vote for thinking there are better fights to pick than create a separate WI forum when the active trail areas have such.

=========
    Maybe today's newsflash about the fourth Illinois Govener since 1973 to get busted for corruption is a clue to why we want our own forum. Maybe the confusion caused by this thread, where mikeinwi asked about Fox valley riders and some of our Friendly Illinois Brothers chimed in, thinking he was talking about the far western suburbs of Chicago, when instead he was looking for riders 200 miles north of there, in the valley that connects Green Bay with Lake Winnebago. Maybe its the fact that Wisconsin residents never have to go to the other states that we've been lumped together with here on MTBr to find awesome riding. Let's face it...the other states that are sharing our forum are just the states that you drive through to get to events like the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival, The WORS and WEMS Race Series and epic trails like Levis trow, Blue Mound, the CAMBA Trail System, etc. Wisconsin is a riding destination and deserves its own forum. The fact that MTBr made some knob from Indiana or Ohio moderator of this mess shows how 'out of touch' they are when it comes to things 1500 miles from California. Anybody interested in finding the best forum(s) for riders (not trail advocates) in Wisconsin, just pm me and I'll give you the 411.

How's that for Snarky - JmZ?

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    Maybe today's newsflash about the fourth Illinois Govener since 1973 to get busted for corruption is a clue to why we want our own forum. Maybe the confusion caused by this thread, where mikeinwi asked about Fox valley riders and some of our Friendly Illinois Brothers chimed in, thinking he was talking about the far western suburbs of Chicago, when instead he was looking for riders 200 miles north of there, in the valley that connects Green Bay with Lake Winnebago. Maybe its the fact that Wisconsin residents never have to go to the other states that we've been lumped together with here on MTBr to find awesome riding. Let's face it...the other states that are sharing our forum are just the states that you drive through to get to events like the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival, The WORS and WEMS Race Series and epic trails like Levis trow, Blue Mound, the CAMBA Trail System, etc. Wisconsin is a riding destination and deserves its own forum. The fact that MTBr made some knob from Indiana or Ohio moderator of this mess shows how 'out of touch' they are when it comes to things 1500 miles from California. Anybody interested in finding the best forum(s) for riders (not trail advocates) in Wisconsin, just pm me and I'll give you the 411.

How's that for Snarky - JmZ?
    This isn't about politics. There are plenty of other places you can go and rant all about your favorite blue, red, or purple people.

When it's cold, people seem to come on here and complain. Doesn't matter about what, and it is done in more than just in here.

Wisconsin has some great trails, and so does IN, KY, MI, and even OH too. I hate to break it to you, WI isn't the only place with great trails. I know people in several states who would take offence at being told that. That's a pretty myopic view of the world, isn't it?

I was asked what it took to split off WI. I answered. I don't think it needs to be, but if enough people agreed, I'd help. If only a couple of people who are pushing for it are going to be acting like a bunch of kids, I sincerely doubt it'll happen.

WI was compared to MI, and they do not have a busy forum here. Far from it, and the same would happen to WI if they got their own. It would also happen to IN, KY, or OH.

And the attitude of I'm not playing, I'm gonna take my ball and go home does nothing but hurt people who ARE looking for fun riding in WI. And yes, that means people who are coming from out of state too. Why not let others know?

And I am sorry I wasn't from WI. Apparently I am remiss in my duties since I lived in one of those OTHER states. Discussion is fine, insults and attacks are not.

JmZ
    JmZ

Another Retro Grouch
    Maybe today's newsflash about the fourth Illinois Govener since 1973 to get busted for corruption is a clue to why we want our own forum. Maybe ... Maybe ...Let's face it..... The fact that MTBr made some knob from Indiana or Ohio moderator of this mess ....
    well, thanks for sharing

Anybody interested in finding the best forum(s) for riders (not trail advocates) in Wisconsin, just pm me and I'll give you the 411.
    Are you going to lure us to a remote location and Ed Gein us

=========
    In the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter, but here are some things to ponder.

- Take a look at the first page of the current forum. 25 of the 55 posts are specific to Wisconsin.

- Jmz says he'll help if enough people want a separate forum, but how many constitutes, enough?

- States like MN, MI, IN all have an active State Forum run by their advocacy orgs. WI & IL have regional boards that are split between ride boards and advocacy boards. Some are active and some are graveyards. I think there's an opportunity for MTBr to fill that void in the case of IL and WI. I don't know enough about OH or KY to comment on their situations.

- Shouldn't the moderator of each board on mtbr have a working knowledge of each state's situation?

- Maybe the concept of splitting forum's into states is flawed. The content here has been sliced and diced into the kind of bike, the brand of bike, the state where the rider lives or rides, or the component that is bolted onto the bike. Maybe too much?

- I agree with a few points that Jmz posted. This problem goes away, when we spend more time riding, because of winter. Other states in this forum have good trails.

Jmz Pm'd me and asked me to supply him with a list of local forums. When i said no thanks he sent me a nasty reply. I don't think its my place to do what the moderator should already do on his own. I don't think the moderator should decide whether or not WI should get its own forum. I believe the forum contributors (the customers) should drive what services they need from MTBr (the supplier). Do we need to find an advertising sponsor for a WI board? Should we resurrect the WORBA Forums and make that our state interweb meeting spot? Do we really need a state forum? Before the internet, we used to go to the local shop to set up rides and find out about new trails. I think there's still some of that kind of networking that goes on in Wisconsin and elsewhere, but I prefer to use forums. There are still groups using email list-serves in Wisconsin to network riders. That's the way i find out about work days at my local trails and rides, etc around Milwaukee.

Here is my favorite regional forum in Wisconsin - http://www.bikelikemad.org/
    There are others....that one is just my favorite. I have no affiliation or ownership in bikelikemad.org.....I just read posts and sometimes post there (somewhat rarely).

The forum that bittflogger posted is from the same region, but is more or an advocacy group forum - http://www.madcitydirt.org/

There's a WEMS Forum and probably a WORS forum specific to those race series.

There's a Levis Trow Yahoo Group

The CAMBA site posted by Jmz is active and udated - http://www.cambatrails.org/

So there you go.....more questions than answers.

g

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [SIZE=2]If WI has more activity than the rest of the MW states, give us our own tab. If not, give us our own tab anyway.[/SIZE]

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    What about re-organizing the entire regional layout. Have a Midwest section you can post in, but have sub forums inside the midwest section for each state. You could do this for each region, which would directly clean up the appearance of the main list and make things look a LOT neater.

Just my personal opinion

mtbr member
    wow. this took a bit of a nasty turn. sorry to see that.
    i do feel that our sport grows well at the local bike shop level. we'll be meeting at Chain Reaction in Appleton after the holidays to confabulate a team for an assualt on the WORS series. you simply cannot discount the power of the net tho. we can do the communicating we need to do with or without our own tab. just knowing how i like to blog after a race or a good ride i thought it would be cool to have a Wisco tab. we'll still have fun mired amongst the other lowly states . it's all good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The forum that bittflogger posted is from the same region, but is more or an advocacy group forum - http://www.madcitydirt.org/
    Our group hardly considers ourselves an advocacy group. Riding is at the core. The reality is that if somebody does not do some work there is no decent riding. This advocacy that is evidently unpopular and about 12 core people over about that many years took Dane County from a few tiny not so fun spots to the sort of riding people build their vacation around and the work is not yet done.

My single speeding in the Kettles started with a Schwinn Typhoon in the 1960s and I watched the rules go from bike anywhere to bike nowhere. I watched the Dane County area improve per the words abobe.

I don't know the why of it, but bike riders are particularly bad at helping their own sport relative to my involvement with other outdoor sports.

The interstate communication is helpful to me whether it's for vacation time or insights and help for getting things done. It's helpful as far as getting more trail.

This advocacy stuff that's not so popular by some does have it's value. Right now a few of us are working on another grant. The last grant like it let Walt Dizzy and I get more done in one season than we usually get done in 3-4 years.

The forums has they have been have (as I said) helped get me into building infrastructure and they seem to bring us 1-3 new faces each season to barely keep status quo. The dumb a$$es who like to ride and don't give should realize how few make their sport possible and the power and organization that other interest groups have. If they like people on horses, ATVs and with hiking boots using the public land they should keep it up. If they like the idea of cool riding places and places where races can be hosted all the states in the area should support each other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast