mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Heading to Minocqua for a week to fish, where should we ride?

Any suggestions? I am not familar with the trails up that way. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm actually in Minocqua right now on vacation, but I didn't bring my bike. I've never ridden up here but look up the "Bearskin Trail"' it isn't much as far as a MTB trail, but a general bike trail on crushed granite. I'm looking forward to what others have to say. I try to make it up here at least once a year.

"The Bearskin Trail runs from on the north, down to County Highway K for a total of 18 miles. The Trailhead in Minocqua has a playground and a swimming beach. This trail is noted for its woodlands and many lakes. It has several trestles, and crosses the Bearskin Creek numerous times.* Since the surface is granite, it may not be as compacted as a limestone trail.

* The Bearskin State Park Trail was used as a rail line from 1888 to 1972.* Since then it has been used as a hiking, biking and snowmobile trail.* It also has a historical museum on the property and historical narratives along the trail."
    The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

Bike Now, Beer Later
    Two links that might help.

Fat Tire Guides - Wisconsin mountain bike trail maps and guides

Wisconsin Northwoods Mountain Bike Maps

I'll be up there next week. Gonna try and ride Raven and Crystal Lake.
    I am certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Raven is near you. There is a fun small area with TTFs built across the parking lot. The area has a mix of newer build, older ski trail type riding and braided stuff that can all make a fun time. Heading east and southeast you have Washburn Lake, Mud/Crystal/Smoken Spoke and Underdown. Throw Hansen Lake by Rhinelander in there for another.

Washburn Lake needs to be on the radar for more riders. The Rhinelander area bike posse keeps making it better. I usually ride it from the old trail head on west side (closer to the cabin) but the Judy Swank Shelter at Perch Lake is nice. Spare a final judgement until you're done riding it and don't make that judgement without riding the new stuff in the right direction. It's a mix of old school and new build. My favorite is the outer loop with inner loop by Perch Lake ad clockwise is my favorite for hitting the berms and bridges.

Underdown is a worthy ride. It's one of the most out there trails in the region. Unpaved road to get there, you get miles in.

The Fat Tire Guides site is good and worth checking out but don't consider it a bible. They don't seem to update significant changes to trails and ignore places that should be on the map or that may not interest them.

Chequamegon Adventure Company and Z-Best seem most in tune with the riding where you're at, Bikes N Boards in Rhinelander is the best shop in the area. The owner is a passionate trail builder in the area, the staff is diverse in their riding and knowledge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is Razorback Ridges restored? I had heard it had been logged out and the singletrack was destroyed.