lookin' for a hill

Freeride Day 10.18.08 Nordic Mountain,WI

amazing autumn day. the colors of the midwest glowed like fire in the rays of the sun.

Thanks to all that made it happen. I tried to take some pics and help how I can and that would be exposure. So here are some pics of the features, I will try to get more of the trails and other sections next season. There are some brave riders out there. Glad to see a freeride representation in the midwest. I'm more a fan of singletrack and light drops and jumps, so I enjoied the first run in the ravine the most, but the teeter totter section revcieved the most grins. by the end of the day I felt comfortable to take both with what i feel as speed, while on a hardtail. I did see another hardtail represented by a surly instegator, so it is possible. the lifts could run faster, literaly, except the damn regulations. all in all it was a great day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    wow, thats really cool dude. thaks for sharing.

where abouts is this riding spot? is there any XC stuff in that area?

lookin' for a hill
    It's about a half hour west of Oshkosh, WI. I've heard that there are some XC trails on the property, and one of the more flowing DH singletracks supposedly hooked up with it towards the bottom of the run. not sure.

mtbr member
    Were you on the purple ano Hardtail?

Thanks for the pics.

Yeah, supposedly there are XC trails. I'm going to go check them out on wednesday or thursday. More for a way to get to the top without hike-a-biking to hit the dh trails. I'll report back.

I love the long log ride on the FR trail, for some reason that gets the most grins from me.

lookin' for a hill
    yeah, a santa cruz chameleon. picture in the profile. If you're in the pics, let me know which one and there are probably more pics I can send you.

mtbr member
    I didn't notice it was a Chameleon. Sweet paint job. I was rocking a Chameleon at the previous day up there but finished building up a BMC Superstroke at Midnight this past Friday. Saturday was the first day on it. I'm not in any of the pictures. Thanks for posting them though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dang! Great job Andy! Stuff is lookin' good, super bummed I couldn't make it, I am in Europe for work, we left the day before and they wouldn't book my travels later...

Can you hike that stuff at all? LIke in the first week of November hahaha

Thanks!
    Buck

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great pictures! Thanks to everyone for coming out and supporting the cause!!

Next season should bring us a little more trail diversity to keep everyone grinning and coming back for more.

Buck, give me a call when you get back the States.

J

mtbr member
    I went out and rode at Nordic today. I drove around the mountain and parked in the Mount Morris Hills Park. It is on the back side of the ski area. You can see the ski trails through the woods from the parking lot and it gets you 90% of the way up the hill if you want to shuttle. It would take about as much time to drive around to there as riding up the lift.

I rode down the race trail. I heard one of the lifties saying he though the XC trails started down behind the retention pond so I headed down there. The XC ski trails start there, if you take the first left and follow them behind the pond they eventually put you onto the XC mountain bike trail. Just follow the bike signs and it climbs you back to the top. It's really not a bad climb I just plugged away in the granny gear it's almost all switch backs and bench cuts. Very little straight up the mountain. Eventually it met up with the trail I entered the area on and put me at the top of the Freeride trail. I took that down to just after the long log ride where it comes out of the woods and onto a ski trail. Rather then ride all the way down the mountain again I cut across the ski trail to the west side of the mountain. There are some more XC trails and I eventually hooked up with the climb I did first time around, only half way up it already.

Up again, down the two jumps at the top of the race trail, up again and then down some of the XC trails on the east side of the mountain. These aren't nearly as good for climbing, but could make some really nice bank/bermed DH trails. They're a little chopped up by some construction they were doing on the rope tow.

I rode for about an hour. I think it would be fun to go and hit all the downhill trails if you don't mind repeating the same climb a few times.