Bike Fiend
    Nov 2008

Favorite Twin Cities Trail?

I usually ride Murphy, Leb or Theo... but I know some people really like Battle Creek and Hillside.

What's your favorite TC area trail? Are Battle Creek & Hillside comparable to the south metro trails?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Leb is my favorite that I have rode. Need to try murphy park this spring and see how that is. Theo is kind of boring just winding around the woods. Hillside in Elk River is a good place to ride if you are up that way. Lots of fun terrain to play on. Once I get my lungs and legs up to speed I am planning on running Afton a couple times a month.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I like Hillside better than any of the other options mentioned so far in this thread. It is much more of a workout than Leb, Theo or Murphy because it has lots of short steep uphills that make you grunt. The dirt crew there has done a fabulous job transforming this trail - really dedicated, lots of new features the last 2 years. Murphy is probably my 2nd favorite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My favorite was memorial in red wing or holzinger in winona when I was in Minnesota, but those weren't in the twin cities.
    Smooth

mtbr member

Milaca

I know its north of the cities but it is the same drive for me as murphy. Great trail, i like it because it doesnt see as much action so it isnt so GROOMED! lots of rocks, roots and nasty hills!!

mtbr member

Elk River - Hillside

I live in Monterey, California where the biking is 365 and the trails are top notch. But, I gotta tell ya... I find myself thinking about Elk River and those tight diminishing radius turns at Hillside. There is nothing like it out here. Kudos to the trail builders. Make sure you put your $ in the fee box. Those guys deserve it. And remember, "You don't know what you've got until..."

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    I would have to flip a coin between Hillside and Lebanon Hills. I really like the bermed turns and smallish jumps that they both offer. I wanted to like Murphy Hanrehan, but it is too easy. It's nice and long, but there isn't much of a challenge there. Theo Wirth is pretty fun, but is too short and the trailhead is easy to miss. Milaca needs to be ridden later in the summer as it is really muddy through most of June, and watch out for horse poops. I haven't been to Battle Creek or Riverbottom.
    I'm really stoked on the possibilities in Crosby/Ironton. The proposed trail system could be 40-50 miles!
    If you enjoy the rougher trails that Milaca has, you'd love the trails in Duluth. It is a 3 hour drive from the twin cities, but is worth it. I lived there for the last 7 years and rode Hartley countless times. The new trail system called Piedmont is awesome as well. Duluth trails are also better ridden later in the summer as early season mud takes a looong time to dry. Duluth is also one of the few places in MN where you can use all 5-6 inches of a trail bike's suspension.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

dumb ass
    +1 w/ aph72.

hartley/piedmont/rock lake/namakogen :-)
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Another vote for Hillside.

Don't forget Mammoth, which replaced The Farm. It can be tough to find and navigate to to gravel road and walking trail crossings, but the challenging terrain is worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Battle Creek all the way! If you know your way around there is a 10+ mile loop and it grows every season.
    [SIZE="1"]--Shimano, Answer Manitou, Panaracer, Selle Italia--[/SIZE]