Thread: Duluth riders?

mtbr member

Good job! Duluth riders?

I am moving to Duluth next month, and would like to hear who's riding there.
    How are the trails lately?
    I heard about the flow trail, but what are the future plans?
    Anything good for fatbike?
    How is the road riding?

Looking forward to making the acquaintance of many of you, and getting up close and personal with some new-to-me trails.

Perpetual n00b
    Duluth Traverse, Tofte/Britton Peak trails... I hear the Midwest IMBA rep is from Duluth. That can only be a good thing. Everyone we met up there was very nice and the trails were great.

Road riding: Lots of country roads and there's downtown Duluth which is steep!
    Fat biking: Plenty of snowmobile/ski trails. Not sure how friendly they are to fat-bikers though.

There is a lot do on the North Shore to keep one entertained all seasons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelock View Post
    I am moving to Duluth next month
    Awesome! Duluth is a great area. Your best bet for connecting with locals is COGGS. COGGS - Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shores

How are the trails lately?
    Again COGGS would have a better handle on this. Minnesota (finally) got some decent snow this last weekend. Enough that fat biking is full on right now.

I heard about the flow trail, but what are the future plans?
    I know that the city of Duluth has just approved a 100 mile multi-use dirt trail system that would link the singletrack in the city and other trails together into one sytem

Anything good for fatbike?
    Thats funny... This is Minnesota after all.

How is the road riding?
    I'm not a roady (yet) but Minnesota is blessed with some fun roads. I know the north shore rides are VERY popular.

Duluth is just a shade under 2 hours to Cuyuna ( cuyunalakesmtb.com ) which provides 25 miles of singletrack and fat biking specific riding in the winter: doubletrack snowmobile groomed at Sagamore and snowshoe groomed singletrack at Yawkey. Duluth is also a few hours from CAMBA in Hodagastan (Wisconson).

You will have plenty to ride, don't worry.

singletracksuperfreak
    Duluth has a lot of great singletrack trail systems. Looking forward to the traverse, & a nice way to link them all. A lot more techy stuff than than the nearby CAMBA stuff. But, also a good variety of trails with more flow.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I'm really looking for any locals who are intimately involved with all this. I rode Cuyuna for the first time earlier this fall, and am glad to see it's only a 100mile drive from Duluth. Of course, it sounds like there's enough local trail in Duluth to keep busy awhile. Looking forward to getting around this spring

MN/WI
    I'll put in word for Pin Cushion up by Grand Marais.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...