mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Is it DH season in WI yet?

Hi,

I'm going to be in Wisconsin for business and I will happen to have my DH bike with me. Is there anyplace I can ride it this time of year? Will be in the Oshkosh area and then the Baraboo area and am willing to drive a few hours from either of those places.

Thanks in advance!

I need skills
    Jul 2004

the mountain is still iced up

Snow pack is huge this year in the Oshkosh Mountains of Wisconsin. No DH

Consider this image a topographic map of WI.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its a tough climb up that pat of butter.

Nordic Mountain has some downhill runs. Not worth packing your DH bike with IMO. If you want to ride bring an XC bike or rent one would be the best option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the info! yeah I just am going to have my bike because I'm travelling there right after a race in Washington without going home first, so I was just trying to figure out if I was going to be able to use it or not... Wish I could swap out for my xc bike. Maybe I can rent one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nordic Mountain does have some DH runs on it, and it is snow free, but I'm sure the trails could be cleared off a little..less than an hour from Oshkosh. Let's be honest though, you will be disappointed if you are from WA. How long are you in town for? A bunch of guys are going to Marquette MI this weekend, some pretty good DH/Freeride stuff up there as long as the weather hold out.

Sweep the leg!
    Is Nordic Mtn open for downhillers outside of the Subaru Cup? The only other place I've seen a DH bike used in Wisco is at Devil's Head, but that was in 2007 and bikes of any kind haven't been allowed there for some time.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Is Nordic Mtn open for downhillers outside of the Subaru Cup? The only other place I've seen a DH bike used in Wisco is at Devil's Head, but that was in 2007 and bikes of any kind haven't been allowed there for some time.
    They don't do the downhill races along with the Subaru Cup anymore because of the "cultural differences" between the DH and the XC racers. The Subaru Cup does have a Super D race though aimed towards XC racers. The DH race is on a different weekend now.

I'd call to confirm that the trails are open, but their website says the trails are always open to ride and are free. They run the chair lift on the second Saturday of every month from May through September. I got that information off of their website. Nordic Mountain

If you already have your bike with you maybe check em out but they're not super long runs and you'd spend a lot of time hiking a downhill bike back up. I don't know how well your bike pedals uphill but I think most of the trails except for the bigger drops can be done on an XC or AM bike, which you could then pedal back up.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by inteq9 View Post
    They don't do the downhill races along with the Subaru Cup anymore because of the "cultural differences" between the DH and the XC racers.
    I wasn't aware there was an issue. Unless someone make a comment about how XC riders ride up the hills instead of using the ski lifts?

Are you sure it wasn't because they needed more of the course for a proper DH run and the XC & Super D course markings were needed?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I wasn't aware there was an issue. Unless someone make a comment about how XC riders ride up the hills instead of using the ski lifts?

Are you sure it wasn't because they needed more of the course for a proper DH run and the XC & Super D course markings were needed?
    My understanding is that WORS is a family event and the DH racers are more of a crowd that likes to PARTY. Thats why they split it up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rode DH at Nordic Mt last weekend, raked leaves off a bunch of the trails. As long as the snow has melted and the ground has firmed up in spring, it is fine to ride there anytime. Probably pushed up a dozen times on Sat, yeah it is short and steep but still fun. Be glad to show anyone interested the 4 decent DH runs there..

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by inteq9 View Post
    My understanding is that WORS is a family event and the DH racers are more of a crowd that likes to PARTY. Thats why they split it up.
    The first year they had the Cup races at MM we closed down the bar. Ask Maciej about that some time. XC racers were partying long before DH came along.

Unless there was "an incident" that spoiled it for everyone. I could see that happening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Blackhawk Ski club is ready but private. Bike only memberships are as low as $10 or $20. A number of us combine it and the bike park because they're close to each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQbj_-6P9IY