Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

DH bike for Wisconsin Riding?

Hey guys; been a while since I've been posting on here. College drew me away from my biking obsession both online and my trails back in the greater Madison area. Anyways; the snow is starting to fall and it's got me going crazy knowing I've got all winter until I can ride again. I'm starting to train though for maybe some DH racing action around the midwest, at least Wisco for sure. I was just curious to what you guys think about having a Large travel bike as your primary bike for riding around Wisconsin? Like I said I want to start racing, but I also want to enjoy the trails I've got around here for leisure. Do you think having a DH/FR rig would be too much to ride with? I know at Quarry ridge and Quarry Park I could have some major fun; but blue mounds would probably kill me.

Anyways, weigh in guys. I've got all winter to decide.

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    You can't ride in the winter? Why not?

mtbr member
    i'm with efff as for winter riding ....just heard they plowed the bike trails b4 they plowed the beltline this a.m.
    as 4 big tavel ...i pretty much ride all the time with 5-6 inches of travel ...foes fxr...yea a little slower but it makes you tough and the weight weenies always ask "do you really need that big spring"

mtbr member
    i would most likely not go for a big travel, there just isnt really a need for it here, a shorter travel more pedal friendly bike would be great, the only real "DH trail" in wisconsin is nordic mountain and they have one or maybe two annual races and also run the chairlift a few days a year...it isnt super gnar or anything i ride it on my hardtail...

i would look at trek remedy giant reign or kona colier/coilair as they are burley enough for some dh action but still pedal fairly well, you can still have major fun on a bike like this doing some dh/fr but yet the ups at blue mounds wont kill you

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Transition Bottlerocket. tahts all you need to know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't ride in the winter because I'm at school in Milwaukee. I tried going riding the last time I came home and it was ****; the trail was pure mud and the drops at quarry were snowed out and I didn't have a shovel with me. I'm not huge on climbing and riding up hill if I have to ride like a grandma going down.

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    There's a few single track trails in Milwaukee that are a blast

mtbr member
    i probably wouldnt go for a bottle rocket, they pedal like poo compared to other things, they are great for going down and slopestyle, check out the mongoose khyber its supposed to climb pretty well and the spec is very very good for the price

if you can fit into a small you can get one for 1500! from performance bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    what, r u on crack. no, the bottle rocked doesnt pedal like a bike w/ a DW link or FSR or one of the other socalled "pedal freindly" suspension designs, but for its simple design it pedals wonderfuly. i have had lots of time on one and i have pedaled up hil on many occasions and it pedals way better than any Kona or Treck Remedy or SC Bullet or any other bike w/ a single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry Sombrio I have ridden them as well and while they don't peddle terrible, they aren't good either. Ideally I'd like an Intense SS; but am looking into other things around that. The Cove STD caught my eye, as did the SX trail and the Norco Shore.

If I need to I'll turn my current bike right now into a SS for my XC riding, but I really don't want to be doing any DH racing or large drops on a "Kind of" Large travel bike... because I don't want to break it either.

mtbr member
    Dh bike for XC? Dante Alighieri wrote about that during his voyage through the circles of hell with Virgil.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i swear you ppl are all on crack if you dont think the Bottle Rocket is not a sickly awseam ride. you all need a preaching from the church of Transition. stupid cheese heads.

mtbr member
    hey man just take a chill pill, transtion is an awesome company infact i just ordered a x7 shifter from them for about 10 bucks new...and they threw in easily 10 bucks worth of stickers for me, shipping wasnt alot and my package arrived ontime and in perfect condtion they get the thumbs up from me!

the br certainly is a great bike for slopestyle and smooth dh runs but its not any fun to mob through big rock gardens or huge hucks, and last time i checked there where 3 or 4 other bikes with nearly the same specs for around the same or cheaper that pedaled better

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i guess you have not seen much footage of teh BR then. i have seen pics and vid of guys taking them off 20+ foot cliff huck out in Utah and in the UK a lot of ppl are actually setting them up w/ Boxxers up front to use for just DH racing. if its not ay fun than why are so many ppl doing it?

not saying there are not better bikes out there for a gret price, but come on, does anyone really need more than what the BR or a similar frame offers? in general the answer is, no.

mtbr member
    yea i agree with you there it can go big i think just alittle more squish offers more confidence for some people...heck im riding fr stuff on a hardtail but not going as big

if i had money it would be on my list of bikes to buy...

if only we had some great lift access riding around here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    there is give any take to every aspect of the argument but w/e.

idk where ur at so idk if this would be too long of a drive for you but i have heard that Spirit Mtn. in Duluth, MN is gettin a sick lift accessed DH an d FR park. and thetre is always Marquette, MI.

uhhhhhyea
    I ride a 30lb FS "all-mountain" bike in WI... there's obviously more XC to be had in WI, but I always seem to find more aggressive type terrain that puts the 5" of travel through it's paces. It works well for me because I can ride XC all day with it, and still have room to breathe through rock gardens and drops. I built the bike more to have fun than to race, but it all depends on how you set it up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well I've the courage/stupidity to go big. I've got a Trek 4500 and I've taken it off the 10 footer at Quarry ridge if you are familiar. Honestly, if I had a Fr bike I wouldn't be doing a whole lot of XC, but I would still like to go ride say blue mounds, because they may have *****es of climbs; but they got some speedy descents also and I damn near get bounced off on some of them.

Sombrio I would love to have a BR and there's a real good chance I might end up with one because I know that besides racing XC or DH they can ride at least fairly well; anything. If I got a BR I would probably have a Lyrik or even a Totem up front though; something with large travel but I can still lock out for the climbs. I'm also not against having something that doesn't climb amazingly well because that will just whoop my ass into even better shape.

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    Well I've the courage/stupidity to go big. I've got a Trek 4500 and I've taken it off the 10 footer at Quarry ridge if you are familiar. Honestly, if I had a Fr bike I wouldn't be doing a whole lot of XC, but I would still like to go ride say blue mounds, because they may have *****es of climbs; but they got some speedy descents also and I damn near get bounced off on some of them.

Sombrio I would love to have a BR and there's a real good chance I might end up with one because I know that besides racing XC or DH they can ride at least fairly well; anything. If I got a BR I would probably have a Lyrik or even a Totem up front though; something with large travel but I can still lock out for the climbs. I'm also not against having something that doesn't climb amazingly well because that will just whoop my ass into even better shape.
    I gave up my hardtail for FS and I haven't looked back, though i'm in the process of building up a SS hardtail for winter. I've got a Marz. All Mountain 2 up front (130mm) and a manitou ISX-4 in back on my Atlas, and it still climbs surprisingly well. It has Marzocchi's lockout-like feature (ETA) which gives a little bit of travel rather than a full lockout, but honestly I don't use it much. I probably would if I had a big travel fork, like maybe 150+mm, but I think all that travel is probably more of a hinderance than a help in WI, unless all you do is ride FR / DH.

mtbr member
    sombrio69 all ive ridden in wisco for lift access is nordic mountain (oshkosh area) and it was a fine little hill, just not even close to the length of the runs out west (ive ridden keystone and vail in colorado)

i just might have to check out spirit in mn or Marquette if my summer plans for another colorado trip fall through...its just that its still 6+ hours for me, but as long as gas stays cheap i think its do-able

anyway to the OP i think the BR is an awesome bike, sorry for my hate-age before, i just think some other suspension designs can pedal a little more efficiently while still rocking the Downhill/Freeride side of things (giant maestro, mongoose freedrive, VPP, ect...)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    how does Nordic compare to teh old Devils Head trail?

forgot one, not lift but platteville has a DH trail too

mtbr member
    ive never ridden devils head, i heard the dh was all overgrown and pretty much nonexistant anymore, and i never got a chance to ride it when people were actually racing and maintaining it

and i thought the platteville dh course you could only ride on race weekends? i would hit that up for a day or shuttling if i

there is also a sick dh course in blue mounds state park, but since they have stopped doing races on it and maintaining it, it was deemed unsafe and no one can work on it because there are no dh work days...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    For the most part, i think anything more than 5" is excessive for any part of Wisco, and more than 6" is just silly. I'll be the first to admit that I owned an 05 Bullit at one point in time and rode the river trails in MKE an awful lot with it. But even with the hits we sculpted into the terrain I always found myself wanting less travel. Loved the geo of the bike, but the 7" was ridiculous for all the pedalling around here, and even overkill for the bulk of the trails in Marquette. I've since found myself on a Cove Hustler with an adjustable 130-160 fork. The 5" is great around here and the Kettles, and up in Marquette the 6" setting on the fork slacks the bike out beautifully for the lift and shuttle runs, but still lets you get some pop off the doubles.
    With that, there are gobs of bikes that are now coming in the 5-6" travel that can take a beating and a pedalling, and they typically cost less than a big squish bike too. If i was going to do it all over again, the Banshee Wildcard or Transition Preston would be my choice for a frameset, and I hate to admit it but the Jamis Parker's look pretty dialled spec and geo wise for a complete outta the box set up.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's Wisconsin, tires wider than 2.1 and more than 1" of travel are overkill for the whole state.

But I'll still ride my 5" bike all over the whole cheesy goodness of Pakerland with a nice big smile.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    hey man....just throwing my two cents since I've put some work into q park. Everything there can be done on a hardtail, in my case a giant stp. I have a giant reign built up to pretty freeride oriented, but you have the most fun on a dj bike, and the biggest drop there can easily be done on a dj bike...landing is preety smooth and long. I did go up to Nordic mountain once this summer, and a DH bike would have been overkill. The runs around Wisco are just too short to need a serious DH bike. If you want a freeride bike I would recomend a giant riegn X or the new mongoose kyhber's are sick...plus some of the Mongoose guys are always out riding the trails.....so it wouldn't be hard to get one. Good luck man...come this spring there will be a bunch of us out at Q Park gettiing some new lines going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast