mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Devil's Head Resort chairlift in operation this summer!

So it looks like Devil's Head Resort in Merrimac, WI is once again offering a chairlift service on their mountain this summer. It is only 2 weekends per month, but still worth it in my opinion. They used to offer this a few years back, but lack of interest and crappy lifts sought the end of it. I know they closed their trails for the last 2 summers or so, but opened them back up this year. I rode there last week and it looked like they still have a lot of work to do. I ended up getting a flat half way through so I did not ride all the trails. The ones I did ride were well marked, but barely groomed. Here is more info in case anyone wants it:

photo flyer.jpg

photo map.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    This is AWESOME!!! I know a ton of guys who will be excited to get up there.
    Ray's Indoor Bike Park MKE.
    ------------------------------------------
    It's how I roll..

mtbr member
    I heard a report that the trails are poorly maintained, hardly marked and the staff is not very knowledgeable about them. It would be great if a ski hill in the area would get on board with trails but I think it's a chicken/egg thing; trails get opened but the business does not put much effort into them, so riders don't exactly flock to them, so the owners don't think there is much of a market and continue to not put much effort into them. If one of the hills would really commit to summer trails they have the potential for a big payout but it's going to take a lot more effort than any of them have attempted in the past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples View Post
    I heard a report that the trails are poorly maintained, hardly marked and the staff is not very knowledgeable about them. It would be great if a ski hill in the area would get on board with trails but I think it's a chicken/egg thing; trails get opened but the business does not put much effort into them, so riders don't exactly flock to them, so the owners don't think there is much of a market and continue to not put much effort into them. If one of the hills would really commit to summer trails they have the potential for a big payout but it's going to take a lot more effort than any of them have attempted in the past.
    The report you heard is 100% accurate, which is funny because when I called them before heading out there a kid on the phone stated the trails are groomed and ready to shred. I was skeptical as he could not answer many of my questions and it seemed to me that he (and probably most of the staff there) has never been on the trails what so ever. I hope they get their sh!t together if they want this to work.

mtbr member
    Wors is in the process of building a race course for a race they will have this fall at Cascade Mtn (hill).
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

new
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I live only a few miles from this place so I'm excited to try it out, but I'm not going to have my hopes too high.

mtbr member
    Nice, I just posted it to our FVMTB site, how are the trails?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fox-V...ocation=stream
    Your Mudder called, she got ice cream cake in the oven for you.
    - Trek Fuel EX9
    - Trek XO1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The place was fun when there were not so many riding options around here as well as when I had spandex, bar ends, and blond girl friend just like the poster. I still have the blond but can't imagine spending the drive time or money if little to nothing has been done with the trails.

There was an earlier call out there for volunteers to build trail at Cascade and I'm not sure I'd waste any time or effort with that either.

There's no guarantee these private places will stay open or committed to the sport vs. places where the sport in in the master plan of public lands, where area IMBA chapters are involved, or Blackhawk where the sport is part of the mission.

Knowledge of these places having good budgets and professional building or standards would be nice to have.

new
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode there last Saturday, and the place has a lot of potential but it needs a lot of work. The trails I rode were not cleared of the debris that was created from clearing the trail. Lots of lose sticks that had a tendency to get pulled into your spokes or rear derailer. The downhill portion of the trail was only a poorly mowed trail which was very difficult to navigate at speed down the hill. Lastly the chairlift portion was painfully slow. You can only ride one person per chair and they only have one bike hook every four chairs. Also they brought the lift to a complete stop to load each person. It took me almost 25 minutes some rides to get to the top with the fastest being about 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by new View Post
    I rode there last Saturday, and the place has a lot of potential but it needs a lot of work. The trails I rode were not cleared of the debris that was created from clearing the trail. Lots of lose sticks that had a tendency to get pulled into your spokes or rear derailer. The downhill portion of the trail was only a poorly mowed trail which was very difficult to navigate at speed down the hill. Lastly the chairlift portion was painfully slow. You can only ride one person per chair and they only have one bike hook every four chairs. Also they brought the lift to a complete stop to load each person. It took me almost 25 minutes some rides to get to the top with the fastest being about 15 minutes.
    Thanks for that update. I hope they can get things more polished. It was fun going there back in the day and you could always see the potential.

For now I'll keep investing my time and money in Blackhawk. The new work should be done soon, it's close to town, and it's a nice community that supports IMBA, overlaps with CORP and is year-round. Blackhawk won't have a chairlift, but I see kids can even ride up the new flow trail before it's completely done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Don't forget about the Rock in Franklin Wi. 13 runs bike park, BMX track, it was built by gravity logic Bike Parks | Rock Complex -

Also read on Devil's Head that they are putting in a new high speed Quad and going to be working on the trails... we will see

also don't forget about Duluth... they have Mont du Lac, shuttled with a tractor but it is pretty quick and Spirit Mountain they have 2 trails and 2 more going in this year. IMBA did the master plan and it has 13 dh runs, xc, bike park with Dj's pump track and skills area. Right now they are bringing in the company that did Winter Park, Flow something design.... and I think they should be 100% completed in like 5 years if I heard right!

mtbr member
    A friend of mine from High school said he just got contracted to make "downhill trails" at Devils Head over the next couple of weeks. I guess we'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zenboy99 View Post
    A friend of mine from High school said he just got contracted to make "downhill trails" at Devils Head over the next couple of weeks. I guess we'll see what happens.
    That's good because they need it for sure. I was there last Saturday and the trails were pretty littered with branches, leaves, etc... Aside from the trail conditions, there is really no single track that does not require you to do a bit of climbing just to get to it. Non the less, it was still fun and there was like a total of 10 people riding that day so that was a plus.

mtbr member
    i live in green bay looking at ordering a status or a glory to change up the scenery a bit usual hang out at bairds creek or ref camp i have a 13 carbon stump jumper fsr