mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cuyuna Closing Info?

Is there a phone number or website to see if the trails are closed or not? I'm planning on driving up there in the morning but don't want to waste gas and time. Thanks!
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    @sick4surf:

Yes. The website for the trails and the local Crew are here: Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Trails

If you want to go straight to the trails page, its here: Trails ? Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Trails

Spoiler alert! The trails are in amazing shape.

Be sure to grab a map at the kiosks. The trail layout is mostly one-way but can be confusing for first-timers

I would love to here your take on the trails when you finish riding them.

mtbr member
    I just went today for my first time.. it was amazing. You're right snowboy76, I definitely needed a map, especially with some of the 2 ways it was a little confusing at times.

I did most of Yawkey 3 times today.. Got over to Mahnomen, did Sand Hog twice, had to do Screamer 4 times it was so much fun! Mucker to Little Sidewinder 2 times, and hit all of the rest at least once.

Cripes, even Easy Street on the way back was a hell of a good time!

Well done up there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Glad that you enjoyed the trails!

I often find people get turned around at Cuyuna because they overthink the trail directions. At Yawkey, everything brings you back to the parking lot. At Mahnomen, every gets back to Easy Street. Even if you don't know what specific trail you are on, as long as you follow the arrows, you will end up at parking lot or on Easy Street.

mtbr member

Cuyuna Closing Info?

Quote Originally Posted by snowboy76 View Post
    Glad that you enjoyed the trails!

I often find people get turned around at Cuyuna because they overthink the trail directions. At Yawkey, everything brings you back to the parking lot. At Mahnomen, every gets back to Easy Street. Even if you don't know what specific trail you are on, as long as you follow the arrows, you will end up at parking lot or on Easy Street.
    That's what I sort of figured out by the end.. I did accidentally do Ferrious Wheel the wrong way.. Haha! Otherwise, I was ok.

I'll be back soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    That's what I sort of figured out by the end.. I did accidentally do Ferrious Wheel the wrong way.. Haha! Otherwise, I was ok.

I'll be back soon!
    As a local, I will be honest with you, signage is a bit of issue. However, its MNDNR land they have pretty rigid signage requirements. But thank you for the comment about Ferrous Wheel, I will mention it and maybe we can get some carsonite signs with "Wrong Way" installed at the bottom, past the jump.

We had our monthly meeting last night there are some cool things in the works. The pump track starts construction August 10th, An entire new hill has been approved to be added to Yawkey, and we are expanding some offerings.

When you come back we will have some new stuff for you!

mtbr member

Cuyuna Closing Info?

Well, it was totally my fault on Ferrous Wheel, there is actually a sign. I was talking to a guy at that 5/6 way stop at the beginning of it, I was intending on heading down another trail. Oops.

From a first timers perspective, I thought the signage was pretty good, I needed my map a bit, but the place is big, so that is natural I think.

My biggest frustration that day was before I even got out of the car... There is virtually no signage to find out where the trails are, or start.

When I went to Yawkey, there's some initial signage, but then.. I'm driving down this long road, and have no idea if I'm going the right way.

In town to hit Mahnomen, there's a big sign that says "Lake Mahnomen", but nothing anywhere about "Trailhead", unless I missed it.

What I learned of course as you know, you could park anywhere in the Crosby/ Ironton area, grab your bike, and hit a trail in no time.. But for a first timer, I'm used to seeing designated trailhead parking.

It was also a Wednesday morning, so there was nobody there.. If more cars would have been around, I'm sure I would have found it much easier.

In the end, I only wasted about 15 minutes, I was planning on riding from 10-Noon.. Instead I rode from 10:30-4pm... Haha!

So clearly I'm nitpicking.. It was a great place, and can't wait to get back up there to ride!

I also didn't swim, or have a beer, so I'll need to remedy that next time as well!'

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey thanks for the info, the second half of my trip involved going surfing in California and just returned. I did the Cuyuna Lakes trails as a day trip from Minneapolis Airport. Don't speed near Crosby they have very vigilant police officers.

I too had a hard time figuring out the trailhead location. I went to Ironton and I could have used some way finding signs to point towards the parking lot. Once in the recreation area I saw a sign pointing left to mountain bike trailhead but it was just a dirt lot with no kiosk visible. I figured this was the wrong spot and I wasn't going to venture out without a map. Luckily I saw a truck go in the opposite direction and followed them to a paved parking lot by Pennington Lake.

Got a map and headed off towards Portsmouth Mine Lake for a warm up. Turned back before route 6 to head to Huntington Mine Lake trails, no time for Yawkey trails today.

Once on the trails, I had no problem following them as I am used to one way trails and the tricks needed to lay them out for flow. I noticed how easy street and low grade were the return lines to access more loops.

I really loved the trails and the flow. The red dirt and white bark were awesome and trails were well marked. I also almost went the wrong way on ferrous loop until someone pointed it out.

Can't wait to return, great job on the trails. Lots of fun, very similar to Raystown Lake trails in PA but more water views and red dirt!
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member