mtbr member

Coming with bike to WI and MN in July...

Hi all! I am going to be trekking around MO, KS, IL,MI,WI and MN for work in the month of July-so I am bringing my MTB to do some riding when I get a break. I am the tour manager for a Freestyle Motocross entertainment company so I can get you and your kids etc access to the riders and some free Monster Energy if the reps bring it to return the favor!

I searched some of the areas where I will be, and most of the info is a couple years old. What I am looking for is any good info on closures, shops/resources that I can pop into for maps, guides. parts etc. I am also welcoming anyone that wants to come ride along and show me thier trails! My schedule is hectic and ride time is gonna be last minute mostly. I will ride with any skill level. I am highly skilled, medium fitness, like to suffer, like to ride slow too, and ride a 5 inch travel bike-like I said anyone is welcome- I don't mind stopping to wait for others, but on the other hand, when riding with fitter riders, hate to be the one holding you up!

**One thing I want to know for sure is what is the ettiquette when it rains. Living in Phoenix,AZ,we don't have to deal with it, and I sure want to be doing the right thing in your neck of the woods!

My schedule:
    Jul 1-2 Osage Bch, MO at the Walmart
    Jul 3 Lebanon, MO at the speedway
    Jul 5 Ft. Leonard Wood, MO on base
    Jul 8 Wichita, KS somewhere at a Walmart
    Jul 11-13 Couple stops in and around Chicago, IL
    Jul 14 Columbus Ohio at the Motorspeedway so of town
    Jul 18-21 Indian River, MI at the Summerfest
    Jul 24-25 Lake Delton, Wi at the adult resort I hope, but probably a Walmart!
    Jul 27 Shakopee, MN Raceway Park
    Jul 28-29 Minneapolis,MN at two of the Mills Fleet and Farm TBD
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    One thing I want to know for sure is what is the ettiquette when it rains. Living in Phoenix,AZ,we don't have to deal with it, and I sure want to be doing the right thing in your neck of the woods!

Jul 14 Columbus Ohio at the Motorspeedway so of town
    Jul 18-21 Indian River, MI at the Summerfest
    Jul 24-25 Lake Delton, Wi at the adult resort I hope, but probably a Walmart!
    Jul 27 Shakopee, MN Raceway Park
    Jul 28-29 Minneapolis,MN at two of the Mills Fleet and Farm TBD
    Hello cstem!

First, the rain. In the Midwest by and large there is one rule about the rain: Trails are closed during a rain and some time there after (depending on the size of the rain) for them to dry out. We do not ride wet trails in Midwest, period.

For MN (my home state), I would direct you to the MORC website ( morcmtb.org ) for more information regarding what trails to hit. My suggestions: Lebanon Hills, Hillside, and if you have time, Cuyuna. Cuyuna is a IMBA Ride Center (the first) and is probually more like the riding you used to: rocks, hardpack, and scree. Its easily the best in MN. for riding.

I'm very partial to MN of the listed states since we have a lot of very good trails scattered throughout the state. Duluth just got molested with rain, so I'm guessing all the COGGs trails are down right now, otherwise I would suggest you do "The Triangle" and ride Metro Twin Cities trails, Cuyuna, COGGs, and then back to the Metro.

For WI maybe someone else can chime in, but based on your above schedule you are driving right by Levis Mounds and you should check that out.

Depending on your road time, you will be passing though Indiana. Check out Brown County. I road there when I was down visiting the folks. Very awesome. Note however, unlike a lot trails in the Midwest, Brown County is 2-way and that makes is a bit of buzzkill on busy days since you pass so many people climbing or descending.

If you were getting into the UP of Michigan, I would suggest Copper Harbor.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks Snowboy! Good info going into the notebook. As I am traveling, I will know what times/days/places I will be with usually a very short one or two day notice. I will post in this thread when coming to an area so keep an eye out and if you can, come ride with me!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There is a lot of singletrack in the Twin Cities metro area. Like Snowboy said, check the MORC website for info on MN trails. We have near 100 miles of trail in the Twin Cities. If you are riding 5 inches, Lebanon Hills and Hillside are good choices. We don't have a ton of elevation or rocks, but we have fun flowy trails. Other good trails to hit are Murphy-Hanrehan, Elm Creek, and Carver Lake. All these are right in the cities.

I really recommend Cuyuna, but that is two hours north of the Twin Cities. There also was a lot of rain damage up there this week during the flooding we had up north, so that trail may be still closed for repairs when you are in MN. You'll have to check the MORC site for updates to the Cuyuna status.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I hope you guys don't mind me piggybacking on this thread a bit, but I'm asking pretty much the same question, but with different specific locations.

I'm heading out from Colorado and am mostly looking for trails in the Duluth/Superior, Hurley, Appleton, and Madison areas. It'll have to be pretty close - no driving out an hour to get to a trailhead.

I ride both road and MTB and I'm bringing my road bike for sure (easier, plus the wife also wants to ride). I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to also haul my Stumpjumper along for the ride, or if I should just plan on road cycling on this trip.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Patrick A,

Duluth does have a few trail systems, but there was some severe flooding last week (once every 50 years flood) and I am not sure of the conditions of the trail systems up there. Lots of flood damage in Duluth. I will also mention Cuyuna (a bit of a drive) because it is an IMBA Ride Center trail system, so it is incredible and it is worth a little extra drive. Again, Cuyuna was damaged by this same incredible rain and it may not be open. Check the MORC website for info on Cuyuna openings. There are several trail systems in WI, but I will let the locals comment on those.

P.S. Duluth is at the start of a large project to make Duluth a mountain biking destination. Duluth plans to have one trail that runs the length of the whole city that will link up like 5 trail systems. Ultimately, they are shooting for 80-100 miles of trail when complete in a few years.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone who chipped in! I am looking forward to riding in some greenery! I rode last night around sunset to 101 degree temps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    Patrick A,

Duluth does have a few trail systems, but there was some severe flooding last week (once every 50 years flood) and I am not sure of the conditions of the trail systems up there. Lots of flood damage in Duluth. I will also mention Cuyuna (a bit of a drive) because it is an IMBA Ride Center trail system, so it is incredible and it is worth a little extra drive. Again, Cuyuna was damaged by this same incredible rain and it may not be open. Check the MORC website for info on Cuyuna openings. There are several trail systems in WI, but I will let the locals comment on those.

P.S. Duluth is at the start of a large project to make Duluth a mountain biking destination. Duluth plans to have one trail that runs the length of the whole city that will link up like 5 trail systems. Ultimately, they are shooting for 80-100 miles of trail when complete in a few years.
    Thanks, Ryno. I had a feeling there'd be something in Duluth. I grew up in Superior, but moved away about 15 years ago and didn't pick up mtb until after I moved to Colorado, so I don't really know about all the trails. It sounds like I'll have to make an effort to bring my bike up there more often. I'd like to hit up Cuyuna, but I really won't be able to do that this time. Maybe I'll have an opportunity another year.

I know about the floods from my family that's still there - it's pretty crazy up there. I'm not going to be there until the first week of August, so hopefully things will be dry and the floods didn't damage things so badly that it's all still wrecked then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickA View Post
    Thanks, Ryno. I had a feeling there'd be something in Duluth. I grew up in Superior, but moved away about 15 years ago and didn't pick up mtb until after I moved to Colorado, so I don't really know about all the trails. It sounds like I'll have to make an effort to bring my bike up there more often. I'd like to hit up Cuyuna, but I really won't be able to do that this time. Maybe I'll have an opportunity another year.

I know about the floods from my family that's still there - it's pretty crazy up there. I'm not going to be there until the first week of August, so hopefully things will be dry and the floods didn't damage things so badly that it's all still wrecked then.
    A lot of things have happened in MN and WI riding in the past 15 years.

1. MORC has 70 miles of singletrack in the Twin Cities
    2. COGGS has 4 trail systems in Duluth and like I said plans to go for 80+ miles over the next few years
    3. Cuyuna opens up last year with 25 miles of trails with plans to expand
    4. The Hayward/Cable WI area has built 70 or so miles of new singletrack
    5. Grand Marais/Tofte area is working on trail systems that will be about 40 miles when complete

Anyway, we don't have mountains, but we are really building a lot of quality singletrack in MN and WI. I know more is going on in WI, but I don't know all the details.

mtbr member
    If you're near Madison (I moved away 2 seasons ago) check out CamRock County Park in Cambridge, about 30mins east of downtown off of 12/18, "The Beltline," and Blue Mounds State Park, off the same Hwy, but about 40 min west of downtown.

Both trail systems have something for everybody, but call BMSP first as they close trails often.

CamRock is more pedally, flowy trail while BMSP is rock tech and awesome.

If you're in Madison proper, Quarry Ridge can be ridden to entirely on a bike path from downtown, it's in Verona, and you'd even pass it driving out to Blue Mounds.

The road riding in Dane and surrounding counties is world-class, FWIW.

Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    In the Chicago area, check out Palos

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    in the hurley area there is plenty of dirtroads to ride and you could also hit the wolverine trails.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Good info !

Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    A lot of things have happened in MN and WI riding in the past 15 years.

1. MORC has 70 miles of singletrack in the Twin Cities
    2. COGGS has 4 trail systems in Duluth and like I said plans to go for 80+ miles over the next few years
    3. Cuyuna opens up last year with 25 miles of trails with plans to expand
    4. The Hayward/Cable WI area has built 70 or so miles of new singletrack
    5. Grand Marais/Tofte area is working on trail systems that will be about 40 miles when complete

AWESOME NEWS.....I've been riding some of these trails for years and they are definitely making many improvements and are getting more challenging and fun to ride ! Thanks to those and the hard work that makes it all possible ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja