mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Chequamegon- Nicolet National Forest

Hey all-
    I'll be visiting family in the Eagle River area soon and heard good things about Chequamegon-Nicolet, plus it's in the area.
    What's the low-down?
    Where could I pick up a map?
    Routes?
    Anything an out of towner should know?
    Lotta bugs?
    Chilly right now?

The bike I'm bringing is a rigid ss.
    Any naysayers?

I'd appreciate any info you all have, including post ride beer locations.

Fried cheese curds?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Head southwest to Bikes 'n Boards in Rhinelander, and they can set you up with lots of good maps of the area. The trail there with the name that keeps changing on me is wonderful. Was the site of the Smokin' Spoke race last year. Don't know specifically what's good out in Eagle River, but just west of you is lots of goodness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Hey all-
    I'll be visiting family in the Eagle River area soon and heard good things about Chequamegon-Nicolet, plus it's in the area.
    What's the low-down?
    Where could I pick up a map?
    Routes?
    Anything an out of towner should know?
    Lotta bugs?
    Chilly right now?

The bike I'm bringing is a rigid ss.
    Any naysayers?

I'd appreciate any info you all have, including post ride beer locations.

Fried cheese curds?

Definitely hit Smokin' Spoke in Rhinelander. Take a compass or GPS if you can though - it's not well marked and we got a bit turned around getting back to the car.

There's a brew pub downtown Rhinelander, can't remember the name but there's only one...great food, great beer selection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the replies! Is the Smokin' Spoke the shop in the older blue house or am I just confused? I'll have a GPS but would also like to get a map as well so I'll swing by. I heard it's been cold, longsleeves cold? I'll check the brewpub out as well, thanks!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Thanks for the replies! Is the Smokin' Spoke the shop in the older blue house or am I just confused? I'll have a GPS but would also like to get a map as well so I'll swing by. I heard it's been cold, longsleeves cold? I'll check the brewpub out as well, thanks!

I think the shop is called Bikes-n-Boards and if I remember correctly it looks like a house. You can also get a map at www.fattireguides.com. I think it has GPS coordinates on it. It's hard to find the trailhead, it's basically a driveway with an area for about 10 cars to park. Study the trail map from Fat Tire Guides and Google Maps so you know what to look for. If you hit the boy scout camp or Spider Lake Road you went too far. Not sure about the weather - just weather.com it and you'll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Right on, I appreciate the info!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

info

Don't know if it is too late, but check out Anvil and Hidden Lakes trails, just east of Eagle River on 70, the latter being the best for singletrack and off ski trails. Kinda confusing so get a map at forest headquarters in ER or at trailheads. Anvil is a ski trail but worthy of riding as is Nicolet North trail. Also can head south on 55 to intersection with 64 in Langlade. Continue south on 55 for 1? mile to Van Alstine Rd. to the left and travel east just pass the bridge over Oconto River and park and follow some pretty good signage north on the scout trail or south on the famous Nicolet Roche trail. 1-11/2 hr drive. Have FUN!