MN/WI

Chequamegon Metric Century

This year's model is on 6/22. Have you ridden the metric century? Your thoughts, observations and comments please.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Did it last year. Will be doing it again this year.

What do you want to know? It's not as grueling as the 100 miler, but it's still a pretty big day on a mountain bike. The course includes tons of really fun trail. It's a huge single loop so it's hard for me to actually know which trail I'm on at any given time...glad I don't have to navigate any longer like the first year of the event.

Course is marked with ground paint at the turns. No course tape for this one. Still easy to find your way around the loop. Expect a grass roots feel and a great day on the a mountain bike in the woods.

MN/WI
    Nice to know about the ground paint (as a backup to the GPS -- I got a route from the Garmin site). I'm interested in tips, what-I-would-have-done-differentlies and such. I've ridden a lot of the trails individually, but not in one shot. Did the Cable On-Road Classic earlier this year.

Really looking forward to it. Such a beautiful area.

mtbr member
    There isn't a drop bag option for the Metric. Plan accordingly in terms of food and water...you'll need to carry all of it. This one is a struggle for me as I generally don't like to wear a hydration pack. Couple that with the fact that my frame really only has one useable bottle mount and this is one of about 2 rides per year that I actually wear a pack.

I like to have Perpetuem, Heed, and plain water on a ride this long. Water in the pack, Perpetuem and Heed in bottles. I'll be adding supplemental cages to the seatpost, and possibly the stem. Rotate with a couple of pre-made bottles from the wing pockets of my hydration pack and I should be set for the race. Follow that with an overdose on pizza and beer at the finish.

Be prepared for some discrepancy in terms of mileage when you're out on the course. Historically, GPS and cyclocomputers don't correlate well at all...sometimes not even close. This can play tricks on a mileage-addled mind.

mtbr member
    The course is pretty well marked but last year a group I was riding with did some bonus miles early on and I ran into one guy who was blindly following his GPS and went off course in a spot where the trail crosses over itself.

My recommendation is to stop by a bike shop and get one of the excellent trail maps of the area and then at the dinner the night before the event find someone who knows the area that can talk you through the course as you highlight the route. Someone did this for me the first year and it helped tremendously, not only for navigation but for at least having an idea of what to expect. Just knowing what to look for at intersections or the nature of the trail for a particular section really helps at decision points.

mtbr member
    I'll be attempting the 100miler.. Should be a great day on the bike!

MN/WI
    Turns out it wasn't such a great day on the bike, eh? After all that rain Thursday night, Seeley Pass actually wasn't that bad on Saturday -- for light traffic, that is. I can imagine what heavy traffic would have done. It was a good call on their part. But the rescheduled 9/21 date is a week after the 40.

mtbr member

Re: Chequamegon Metric Century

After experiencing the difficulty associated with postponing a race and finding a second date that doesn't conflict with something else, I'd say they took what they could get!

Take the whole week off and stay up there for the duration.

MN/WI
    Don't get me wrong -- I'm not complaining. The week before the 40 I'm doing a century on the road bike in Door county. My wife's birthday is somewhere in that two week span. Now let me think..