Teen Wolf

Chequamegon Fat Tire 40 Single Speeders...

What gear are you running? I've never ridden the course, nor will I have time to before then. I'm curious as to what you've run in the past and what's a good ball-park gear. I'm thinking a 34x17, but thinking maybe a 36x17 would be better. Any recommendations? I'm running a 26" fully rigid bike.
    Last edited by cr45h; 08-01-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: so the title makes more sense

Teen Wolf
    sweet, i'm going to run 52x12, thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jesse LaLonde won the race a couple years ago running a 36x16 IIRC.

Witty McWitterson
    But he was on a 29"er, so that was like, a 52/12 equivalent, right?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Actually it's more like a 53x11.

mtbr member
    2:1 for a 29er unless you plan on winning. In that case you should already know. I am running same as Ore 2 shore, 34-17, and I expect it to be perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I rode part of the course (mostly past OO) about a month ago on my Karate Monkey, including sections around the fire tower. I was cruising it on a 34x18, and switched to a 34x20 after a few hours. I think I'm doing 34x18 for the race, but it's my first time ever riding something of this distance, so YMMV. Some veterans have advised me to not necessarily gear for the climbs (i.e., firetower), and push a bigger gear. It's a lot of rolling hills. Quick ups and downs.

Oh yeah, I saw two bear cubs on the Birkebiner. Wondering where momma bear was helped me find my climbing legs fast.

There is NO Punk Bible!

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by clownempire
    Oh yeah, I saw two bear cubs on the Birkebiner. Wondering where momma bear was helped me find my climbing legs fast.
    THAT will do it!! Nothing like a kick of adrenaline!!!
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Teen Wolf
    cool, i'll probably stick with my original. was just looking to see what others have run/. i know what lalonde ran but he's a freak, and i'm just looking to have fun and finish in under 3.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm trying to get in under 3.5 and running 34x18. I know a top 200 finisher that does 40x18. I'm not worrying about the gear so much. I've put in all the time I could this summer and when race day comes, it's all about having fun.