Thread: Chequamegon 40

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Chequamegon 40

Not sure exactly when the draw the names but it should be soon! Watching my bank stmt to see if my check cashes!

There is NO Punk Bible!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33 View Post
    Not sure exactly when the draw the names but it should be soon! Watching my bank stmt to see if my check cashes!
    What is the price now for the 40? I have not been in a CFTF for 3 years.
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    $79, same as last year. I'm also waiting for the check to clear. I got in last year with an essay after missing out on the lottery.

There is NO Punk Bible!
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    $79, same as last year. I'm also waiting for the check to clear. I got in last year with an essay after missing out on the lottery.
    Wow, it has gone up, $69 my last time I was in it, and $45 back in '95........add price of gas for a 700 mile round trip. No more FTF till I win the lottery millions.
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American Public." - Theodore Roosevelt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My check cleared last night. I'm in for 2012. yahoo!

There is NO Punk Bible!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    My check cleared last night. I'm in for 2012. yahoo!
    Congrats! Have a fun weekend!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My check cleared today - looking forward to the pain.

There is NO Punk Bible!

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by tneker View Post
    My check cleared today - looking forward to the pain.
    Like the pain brought on by the climb up Fire Tower Hill, or those short steep hills right before the finish!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

pain

Quote Originally Posted by Old Oi Punk View Post
    Like the pain brought on by the climb up Fire Tower Hill, or those short steep hills right before the finish!
    Actually I think the real pain is right between those two spots with about 7 miles to go when you get back on the birkie trail and the up and downs suck out your momentum. If it is a wet year the grass feels like quicksand and you know there is a series of these rolling hills, you just can't remember how many. Your thighs burn, you long since forgot to eat, and your 3X10 turned into a single speed because of the mud build up and chain suck.

Can't wait!

There is NO Punk Bible!
    Quote Originally Posted by tneker View Post
    Actually I think the real pain is right between those two spots with about 7 miles to go when you get back on the birkie trail and the up and downs suck out your momentum. If it is a wet year the grass feels like quicksand and you know there is a series of these rolling hills, you just can't remember how many. Your thighs burn, you long since forgot to eat, and your 3X10 turned into a single speed because of the mud build up and chain suck.

Can't wait!
    Muddiest Chequamegon was my first year 1995. Rain all day before and over night before the race.....mud fest! Slow as hell! Except for the first 100, they got through all that mud before it was churned and mushed up. It's what I get for being slow!!

Good luck, hope it is dry and mid '60's temp!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My check cleared too, this will be my first time in!

having never done any xc races do you think a 1x9 would be a killer or doable?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mplser View Post
    My check cleared too, this will be my first time in!

having never done any xc races do you think a 1x9 would be a killer or doable?
    I am a 45yr old, cat1 that is more stubborn than fast. I run a 34x11-34 and it works fine. By the end, I'm wishing for a 32, but at the beginning I want a 36. I use my stubborness to remind myself that the singlespeeders are likely a 32x16, so I'm still geared lower when needed and tell myself to toughen up.

This year I'm going to run a 36x11-34, need more speed for the first half to get into the top 200 overall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yippee! My check cleared today! As far as the first timer using a 1X9 I guess that I might recommend that you do it with traditional gearing the first time unless you are a really strong climber. Seemingly endless short steep climbs. I've done it 5 times and I still find myself shaking my head as climb after climb appears around every turn. I used my middle ring for almost all of the race last year but it's also nice to have the big chain ring for the roll out and the gravel roads later in the race. I'm 53 and came so close to breaking 3 hours (3:03) which has been my goal most years. I'm going to make it happen this year if it kills me. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Riders Choice

2012 will be my 17th fat tire 40. As far as going 1X9, that's totally "doable". The 40 was won by a single speeder a couple years back, so certainly doable.

I personally prefer taking full advantage of a triple chainring given the varying terrain. I try to stay out of granny to keep the speed up, but have it available as needed. And there is nothing like having a big ring for the pavement roll out and when you hit gravel roads in the late stages.

The image below shows speed versus elevation for my 2011 run. Rollout speeds were in the neighborhood of 25mph. You could do the math to get cadence if you wanted to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chequamegon 40-40.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010

1x9

I rode the 40 last year (3rd time) with a 1x9 rigid steel 29er and it was harder than I thought it would be. Ended up running my bike up some hills cyclocross style. Did ok for me, but I think I would have done better with more gears and a suspension fork.

This year I'm doing the Short and Fat with my son.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Make sure you stop and have a shot on Pirate Hill