mtbr member
    May 2008

camrock trailwork?

the trailwork that was recently done to camrock...why? that last part on camrock 3 that was pretty steep and downhill--why is it now rerouted? that part was fun. the reroute sucks. unless it is a drainage or some other environmental issue is there anyway you can just have it split right there?

mtbr member
    The re-routes were done so you can ride the new bridge across the Koshkonong to Heather's (nearest tavern to the trails).

Here's a link to discussion posted about the work:

http://madcitydirt.org/forum/index.php?topic=959.0
    http://madcitydirt.org/forum/index.php?topic=953.0

Walt

Bear

Hmmm....

Wisbike - are you talking about the last section of singletrack at area 3 before you get back to the parking lot?

If that's the downhill you are mentioning.....it is now A)sustainable and B) rideable in either direction. It was a fall-line downhill that was deteriorating.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wisbike
    the trailwork that was recently done to camrock...why? that last part on camrock 3 that was pretty steep and downhill--why is it now rerouted? that part was fun. the reroute sucks. unless it is a drainage or some other environmental issue is there anyway you can just have it split right there?
    This area was re-routed as mentioned because it was channeling water and eroding rapidly. If you noticed there were a lot of loose rocks in the area recently, aka, the topsoil was eroding away. If you looked at the trail it was straight down the fall line with hard braking (skidding) in order to make it around the sharp corner at the bottom. Fun but not sustainable.
    I am sorry if, as you so eloquently put it, you feel the re-route sucks. By your eloquent description of trail design, I will assume you do not know how trail building works. This re-route was put in when it was very dry. Like all new trail it will armor up now that we have had some moisture. If you look at the the new trail design, once it is armored it will be a fast, flowy tail through a drainage. It has a bermed turn, two air potentials, and some quick slalom turns through the trees. It may take more skill to hold your speed through a trail that has features instead of bombing straight down the hill, but I hardly think it sucks.

Chuck Hutchens
    Cam-Rock Tail Steward

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok, maybe sucks is the wrong word, but i liked the part you had to take out better. im sure it will be fine i just liked that part a lot. totally understandable that it was environmental issues. sorry if i sounded a bit harsh, all of the trailwork is greatly appreciated.