Thread: Camrock

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Camrock

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how camrock is. How does it compare to the southern kettles. I was thinking of taking a little trip up north this weekend.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

scale of one to ten

On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate camrock as "fantastic"!

Not as many miles as S Kettles, but way more variety. You will be happy you went.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    cool im not too concerned with miles i just want it to be worth the ride. sounds like it will. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    cool im not too concerned with miles i just want it to be worth the ride. sounds like it will. thanks.
    Yes, it's a nice place. One thing I'll do at Cam Rock is multiple laps where a Kettles trip usually has a goal of more distance.

I don't know where you're coming from but distances aren't so far that you can't ride in more than one spot or another spot too. Go to Capital Off Road Pathfinders for the area trails and communication with people who might be riding and show you around.

Have fun.

Bear

hell yeah!

If you were already considering the Kettles then Cam-Rock is worth the trip.

Heather's in Rockdale for a beer and burger after the ride.

Cam-Rock Sport in Cambridge for beer and sandwich would always work as well!

Awesome all around.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    now how do i distract the wife while i sneak out.

mtbr member
    If the forecast holds true and it storms tonight how will the trail tread be for tomorrow ? Thinking of going up there tomorrow for the first time.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Ballstein Models
    It dries pretty fast. This summer especially.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

Hooked
    I was about to ask the same. Kiddo is doing a Parkour clinic in Madison on Saturday. Thinking to bring the bikes and ride somewhere in the Madison area on Sunday. We usually ride Kettles or MKE Hoyt/Oak Hill /Alpha.

Would you suggest CamRock or Bluemound? Or even Middleton Bike Park?
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl

I need skills
    Jul 2004

camrock

camrock

Hooked
    Thanks Chris for confirming what I thought. CamRock it is. Before now I hadn't looked at it on a map , so bonus for being on way home. Looking forward to checking out a new WI trail!

Are the mileage estimates (think it was 8ish on the COPR website) out and back around the loops? The notes above about where to stop for food/beer made we wonder if it we should do the loops a the bike trail to Cambridge and back. Any idea what that would add (assuming we park at the CamRock3 trailhead).

Finally the black loops. What makes them black? All technical/rocks? Climbs? Descents? Kiddo is just back from a freeride/downhill camp in CO and is looking for fast sections (yikes I've created a monster)

mtbr member
    The Outback Expert Loop is really flat, but that's where we're building the TTFs.

Area 51 is really tight and pretty slow with skinnies over creek beds.

Bob Sled Run/Cliff's Edge is pretty hilly with a stupid-steep climb and short chunky descent.

Hooked
    CamRock was a blast today! Am kinda glad I hadn't ridden it last year, probably didn't have the skills to enjoy it then- woulda been walking/ pushing quite a bit last year. Did have one little mishap. Maybe not so little, but bit it pretty hard on the Veritas loop at the spot where the left line has a larger log, right has two smaller log overs followed by going between a couple of trees I went right, came off second log a bit sketchy, and clipped the tree just ahead with the left side of my bars. Hit ground hard enough to feel a bit shook up for a couple minutes but then got up and enjoyed the ride!

Other than that little spill a fun ride! And a trail we'll have to visit now and again.
    Camrock-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344807976.877859.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camrock-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344807689.342476.jpg  

Last edited by kimikaw; 08-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any idea when the lower "expert" loop (bobsled/cliffs edge, etc.) will reopen? Was there today and it was roped off with caution tape. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My guess is that someone forgot to remove that tape from Pitch Black Singletrack last weekend and it is actually meant to be open. Best way to know is start a thread over at madcitydirt.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When does camrock close for the season?

Bear
    Cam-Rock is open year round as long as trail conditions permit.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    we were riding the fatties in the snow out there today

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Four of us went out Friday night and snow shoed the singletrack from Cambidge to the first bridge, and Saturday morning 10 of us rode fat tire bikes from Cambridge to the Camrock Trails, did a loop on some of the trails, and then rode back. It was pretty nicely packed on the return trip.

D

Edit: I tried to upload picture in Chrome, but nothing happened when I clicked the button.

the fat kid
    Just for clarification, everyone is talking about camrock 3 correct? ...its the only system i've been to so just checking.

I travel just over an hour and a half to get to camrock. I love it, ONLY b/c of the light freeriding and interesting trail configuration.

...and is there any plan to fix up the "initiation" expert loop? I ride it every time Im out there and it could be doable with some love...
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    Just for clarification, everyone is talking about camrock 3 correct? ...its the only system i've been to so just checking.

I travel just over an hour and a half to get to camrock. I love it, ONLY b/c of the light freeriding and interesting trail configuration.

...and is there any plan to fix up the "initiation" expert loop? I ride it every time Im out there and it could be doable with some love...
    Well mostly CamRock III. But since late this fall we added a 1.7 mile trail into Cambridge. We now have singletrack trail the entire length of the park from Rockdale to Cambridge! Or as we locals use as reference, from Heather's Bar to CamRock Sport. Beers and sustenance no matter which end of the trail you park at. Where else in Wisco can you say that?
    So technically there are trails in both CamRock III and CamRock I. There is also a new bridge that connects from CamRock II. All doubletrack over there but a nice ride nonetheless.
    As for the Cliff Edge Expert Loop: Our eternal debate on that trail. For some of us it is ridable as it is. Some like it as it is as an old-school tough trail. Others want to polish it up like most other trails. To date it gets minimal maintenance because every year our resources are being used to expand more trail. Like anywhere else, if someone came to me and said they wanted to focus on that trail and armor the bobsled run and improve the flow I would say have at it. To date this has not happened. We have more calls for new trail so that is what gets the attention.