Thread: Camp Vits

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Camp Vits

Does anyone know about this project and the "issues" surrounding it?

http://www.htrnews.com/viewart/20130...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

I would like to know more about the project.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know but read the news article will offer what law enforcement and land managers think of our projects in or near Dane County.

In two cases our developing trails eliminated law enforcement problems because the bikers use the properties throughout the times they're open and they behave well. Their presence at trail heads and on the trails cut the need for enforcement where a DNR ranger and local police have said so.

I am trail steward at our city bike park and we had the experience where an officer never really knew it existed until he was called to the area because of a reckless and suspected drunk driver.

One piece of advice. I used to live next to a city park and dealt with neighbors with possessive and territorial attitude that was not appropriate on issues. I learned to give a smile to my neighbors telling them the park really belongs to the public but we can pretend it's a bit more ours in all those times when it's empty, and in our caring for it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks you, but it doesn't help me much.

I read the newspaper article (and the follow up articles) and I'm still no closer in understanding the issue here, should one exist. It would be nice if someone with some knowledge of the project would chime in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ran into Wade from the NEWOM tonight at the Maribel trails. He said they got the green light so it will be happening. Check out their site The New Om

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt View Post
    I ran into Wade from the NEWOM tonight at the Maribel trails. He said they got the green light so it will be happening. Check out their site The New Om

That's good news, and if what Wade and his group have done up in Maribel is any indication, this should be the start of a great/fun trail.

I read the article linked by the OP, and I am amazed at the ignorance of a supposed well educated MD.

(Another neighbor, xxxx xxxxxxxx, said mountain bike trails would attract “riffraff” ... “a mountain of garbage” ... “a huge alcohol and drug problem” and is not an appropriate park use near a neighborhood with homes of doctors and lawyers.)

This guy is an orthopedic surgeon. You would think his list of clientele would include many bikers and runners. Where does such an idea of mountain bikers come from?

As an aside, mother nature did what no amount of riffraff could have done to the Maribel Cave Park and MTB trail. 100mph winds devastated the park, and everything is closed for the rest of the year. Check out the photos on thenewom website.