Thread: Camp backwards

mtbr member

Camp backwards

What's your take on riding the reforestation camp, or most any trail backwards? I got a lot of grief from someone for the first time today, and while I think he was just being a jerk I would like to hear what other people think. I always pay very close attention to the trail well ahead of me when riding against traffic, and yield right of way immediately when I see a rider.

Anyway, I love to ride camp backwards, especially after a normal run through the green. Every little bit has a unique challenge, and the trees really seem to want to reach out and touch you all the more. My left shoulder can attest to that one today

uhhhhhyea
    The only place I can see it being a problem is if you're not being cognizant of other riders, which is something that's always true no matter what way you're going. namely, being careful around the blind corners and fast singletrack, and riding as if you expect to encounter someone else... everywhere else I've ridden there's an unwritten rule that if you're going "against the flow" you yield by default

Assuming you already do this, I don't see what the big deal is, it's not really different than if you were taking a break (which I'm not too proud to say I did plenty of this weekend). Haven't ridden there enough to try backwards but I'd like to hear the other locals weigh in.

mtbr member
    I could care less. Just yield and say hi.

Sup
    I just smile
    pull off and say
    Im from team dyslexia

I have to agree the flow is realy different the wrong way
    Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Riding against the posted direction - not cool! When I ride one direction trails, I know I can hammer and/or carry lots of speed through blind corners, sudden blind dips, etc. Seeing that Reforestration is one of those places that you can carry a lot of speed, a lot of people just crank it out. Encountering someone barreling at me would not be good. I would definitely get upset and say a thing or two. When the trees are without leaves you could probably see far enough ahead when heading in the opposite direction to yield to correct direction riders. At this time of year with full foilage, I don't see how it could be done. Follow the rules of the trail. Don't ruin someone else's ride just cause you want to purposely go against the grain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider
    Riding against the posted direction - not cool! When I ride one direction trails, I know I can hammer and/or carry lots of speed through blind corners, sudden blind dips, etc. Seeing that Reforestration is one of those places that you can carry a lot of speed, a lot of people just crank it out. Encountering someone barreling at me would not be good. I would definitely get upset and say a thing or two. When the trees are without leaves you could probably see far enough ahead when heading in the opposite direction to yield to correct direction riders. At this time of year with full foilage, I don't see how it could be done. Follow the rules of the trail. Don't ruin someone else's ride just cause you want to purposely go against the grain.

Agreed!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Three don't care, two strongly against. I'm reconsidering this for the future. Maybe leave it to rainy days when there's no one else there or something...

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    We should be able to ride one way the first part of the season, and backwards the second part of the season. That would be awesome.

mtbr member
    night riding is the time to ride trails backwards.