Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cam Rock or Blue Mounds?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  993rs 
#1 ·
Taking Friday off to head up towards Madison with one of my sons to ride for the day.

Which area do we ride? Usually ride at S Kettle, never been over to either of these trails.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Blue Mound - slow, not a lot of flow (except Overload), technical. It is what it is...and it's awesome. If you want a change-up from Southern Kettles this is your trail to ride. My vote goes to Blue Mound!!! Hooterville Inn in Blue Mound has awesome bar food and good beer on tap.

Cam-Rock - Fun, fun, fun. More similar to Kettles than Blue Mounds yet still very different. Cam-Rock Sport and Heathers are both beer for food and beer.

#3 ·
Cam-rock!

Cam rock will surprise you by how much fun stuff they throw into that trail. Come back in a month and there will be more.

Spread your legs and have your son kick you in the balls...you have just experienced Bluemounds.

Your State trail pass will work for cam-rock btw.

Definitely grab a bite to eat at cam-rock sport.

#5 ·
Your State trail pass will work for cam-rock btw.
Agree with everything you said, except this...

Cam-Rock is a Dane County Park. State trail passes don't apply here. There is a separate fee for Cam-Rock. Can't remember what the daily pass is (maybe $5?), but the annual is $16.

Blue Mound is a state park on the other hand...the state trail pass works there.

#4 ·
As much as Blue Mound is more difficult it is also where my daughter has always preferred to ride. That said, now she twists my arm to stop at CamRock Sport.

The elements my kids like in Blue Mound make the whole trip an adventure. They like the pool, observation top of the mound, and usually being in the shade.

At both places I work it to keep things fun for the kids. I make it their ride not mine. They weigh about 1/3 with heavier bikes so I'll help them with the big climbs. There's a lot of sharp rock at Blue Mound and I've got off the bike to spot my daughter when she's wanted to try a crossing or rough area.

On flow.... That's probably a matter of definition. People often forget to or don't know how to pump. I'm a slow and not so strong rider and on a recent Blue Mound group ride noticed most did not pump. I was surprised that racers didn't do this.

The reality is you should check out both. I love them both for different reasons.

Have a nice trip.

#14 ·
The loop around the mound is 6.9 miles by my measurement.

But wait, there's more! Riding through Over Lode adds another 4 miles to the ride. Do the Pokerville as an out and back and add in the connecting double track and you're up around 15 miles. It depends on how you define "the entire loop".

I would guess you are referring to the mound loop only DeWayne, and your assessment for that ride is reasonable for a fit adult, if not a child.

I don't know the exact number of miles the race course involved, but back when there was a WEMS race at Blue Mound, and the course was around the mound, in the 12 hour race only the eventual winner kept his lap times consistently under an hour. Riding 7 mph there is actually pretty hard.

Walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.