mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Cam Rock or Blue Mounds?

Taking Friday off to head up towards Madison with one of my sons to ride for the day.

Which area do we ride? Usually ride at S Kettle, never been over to either of these trails.

Thanks.

Bear
    Blue Mound - slow, not a lot of flow (except Overload), technical. It is what it is...and it's awesome. If you want a change-up from Southern Kettles this is your trail to ride. My vote goes to Blue Mound!!! Hooterville Inn in Blue Mound has awesome bar food and good beer on tap.

Cam-Rock - Fun, fun, fun. More similar to Kettles than Blue Mounds yet still very different. Cam-Rock Sport and Heathers are both beer for food and beer.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Cam-rock!

Cam rock will surprise you by how much fun stuff they throw into that trail. Come back in a month and there will be more.

Spread your legs and have your son kick you in the balls...you have just experienced Bluemounds.

Your State trail pass will work for cam-rock btw.

Definitely grab a bite to eat at cam-rock sport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As much as Blue Mound is more difficult it is also where my daughter has always preferred to ride. That said, now she twists my arm to stop at CamRock Sport.

The elements my kids like in Blue Mound make the whole trip an adventure. They like the pool, observation top of the mound, and usually being in the shade.

At both places I work it to keep things fun for the kids. I make it their ride not mine. They weigh about 1/3 with heavier bikes so I'll help them with the big climbs. There's a lot of sharp rock at Blue Mound and I've got off the bike to spot my daughter when she's wanted to try a crossing or rough area.

On flow.... That's probably a matter of definition. People often forget to or don't know how to pump. I'm a slow and not so strong rider and on a recent Blue Mound group ride noticed most did not pump. I was surprised that racers didn't do this.

The reality is you should check out both. I love them both for different reasons.

Have a nice trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    Agree with everything you said, except this...

Cam-Rock is a Dane County Park. State trail passes don't apply here. There is a separate fee for Cam-Rock. Can't remember what the daily pass is (maybe $5?), but the annual is $16.

Blue Mound is a state park on the other hand...the state trail pass works there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cam rock will surprise you by how much fun stuff they throw into that trail. Come back in a month and there will be more.

Spread your legs and have your son kick you in the balls...you have just experienced Bluemounds.

Definitely grab a bite to eat at cam-rock sport.
    Good stuff. Thanks guys.

mtbr member

Yes, except that's over with in a few minutes. It takes several hours of being kicked in the balls to be equivalent to Blue Mound. (Maybe you need to adjust your riding technique?)

No, the ranger just didn't check your pass at Cam-Rock and nail you. As Nater said, you need a Dane County trail pass for Cam-Rock.

Walt

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch View Post
    Blue Mound - slow, not a lot of flow (except Overload), technical. r.
    Trails aren't slow; riders are slow. =^). Those trails are very doable in an hour....an hour and a quarter.

Dewayne

PNG
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti View Post
    Trails aren't slow; riders are slow. =^). Those trails are very doable in an hour....an hour and a quarter.

Dewayne
    Are you saying all the MTB trails in the park in an hour and a quarter ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dewayne
    Quote Originally Posted by PNG View Post
    Those would be race course speeds more than take your kids speeds and our race courses haven't used all the trail in the park.

For the OP, I don't know the age of your kids but not exceeding 2 hours and including the pool or some fun goal when done has worked well when I take grade school kids there.

The event this coming weekend is intended to be kid and family friendly and should have kids present.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PNG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Those would be race course speeds more than take your kids speeds and our race courses haven't used all the trail in the park.
    I don't race and am referring to the entire loop. Why do people assume a trail can't be ridden/can't be ridden in x-amount of time if he cannot do it himself? I have never understood this. All it takes is a steady pace cleaning most of the technical spots without walking or stopping to session something.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't race and am referring to the entire loop. Why do people assume a trail can't be ridden/can't be ridden in x-amount of time if he cannot do it himself? I have never understood this. All it takes is a steady pace cleaning most of the technical spots without walking or stopping to session something.

D
    The topic is taking your kids. That's way different than the capabilities of fit and experienced adults.

PNG
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

D
    Just asking for clarification , wasn't saying it couldn't be done because I can't do it.

mtbr member
    The loop around the mound is 6.9 miles by my measurement.

But wait, there's more! Riding through Over Lode adds another 4 miles to the ride. Do the Pokerville as an out and back and add in the connecting double track and you're up around 15 miles. It depends on how you define "the entire loop".

I would guess you are referring to the mound loop only DeWayne, and your assessment for that ride is reasonable for a fit adult, if not a child.

I don't know the exact number of miles the race course involved, but back when there was a WEMS race at Blue Mound, and the course was around the mound, in the 12 hour race only the eventual winner kept his lap times consistently under an hour. Riding 7 mph there is actually pretty hard.

Walt

I need skills
    Jul 2004

OP, where did you ride?

How was your day?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    The topic is taking your kids. That's way different than the capabilities of fit and experienced adults.
    He did not specify kid; he said "son." His son could be a teenager capable of cleaning more than he can. For that matter, his son could be a grown adult.

And as someone asked, how'd the ride go, OP? What trail did you choose?

Dewayne

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We hit CamRock in the morning and had lunch in town when it started raining. Rode at S Kettle on the way back home. I took my middle boy who turns 14 tomorrow. Very capable rider, we are racing the WEMS 50 miler tomorrow on his birthday.