mtbr member

Biking In Devil's Lake

The wife and I are camping in Devil's Lake this weekend. Living in Northern Illinois, we're looking forward to some elevation in our camping trip this time!

I know Devil's Head is not too far away. What kind of trails are we able to ride our MTBs on? Always wanted to try some DH, but I have not been able to find any specific trails yet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Devil's Head is about 10 minutes from Devil's Lake, I have not ridden there this year but I have heard that the trails are not well maintained. They did offer the chair lifts once a month for downhillin for $30 for the day. Devil's lake itself has one mtb loop which has some climbs that are fun but it is double track and there are gravel sections that are nasty. I would recommend taking an hour drive and going to Camrock which is about 20 minutes east of Madison. $5 for a one day trail pass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    MTB trails at Devil's Lake are non-existent aside from fire roads. Honestly I see more road bikers on the paved roads than anything else. At least hiking and rock climbing is awesome there. I suggest the East Bluff trail for great scenic overviews.

As far as biking goes, we got a ton of rain the last 3 days so it will be greasy wherever you go. Blue Mounds will surly be closed. Devil's Head is only ten minutes away and when I was there 4 weeks ago the trails looked fine and maintained. Trail passes are only 7$ and they are always open no matter the conditions. They will give you a trail map at the front desk. Here is a link in case you are curious what they look like:

Devil's Head Resort chairlift in operation this summer!

Come to think of it, the SO and I will be riding there on Saturday. Maybe we'll see you out there. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Kam and Rob.

A quick question. We're probably not gonna be able to make it to the lift until just before 4PM, does that one journey take you right to the top and you can bike all the way down, or is the lift needed again before you get to the bottom? Since we are only likely to be able to use the lift once before 4PM, I wondered if it was worth the one-use only, as if the lift is needed again after 4, we won't have that option.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The lift was only in operation for July and August and is now shut down. The trails however are still open. That being said, be prepared to do some climbing before you get to enjoy the sweet dh. What I typically do is get my pass and then drive up the side road of the mountain to about half way up and park on a little path (see big red arrow on map). From there I ride up the blue trail (Deer Run is the name) all the way to the top (see blue arrow on map) and I cut across (see neon green dotted line). From there follow the red trail for a short traverse and then a long DH run. At the end of the red run (neon green arrow) traverse back towards the road (aqua line on map) and from there it is up to you. I typically head back to the top right up the ski run and do the red loop again. Then go back up to top and traverse back to the road (neon green line on map) and take Deer Run (blue trail) back down to the car. I typically do not go to the base of the hill since it is a hell of a climb (unless the lift is running). Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm happy to help.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much Kam. Local info like this is exactly what I was looking for. Really excited to try this out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad I can help! Hope you guys have a good time. The weather is supposed to be pristine all weekend so you're covered on that end. If you want more info or get turned around on the trails feel free to contact me. I can PM you my cell number. I have seen many people disappointed at Devil's Head simply due to a lack of knowledge of the area and poor signage on the trails. And no, I am not an employee of Devil's Head Resorts .