mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bike and trail info needed

I live in California and will be visiting family July 11-19. I will be staying in Sheboygan and was wondering if anyone knows of any shops that have demo/rental mountain bikes. I've called a few with no luck.

I know it is a ways off, but if anyone would be interested in showing me some trails between that time let me know. I ride 3 to 4 days a week and currently ride an Ibis Mojo.
    I will have a car and don't mind traveling for good trails. Also any trail recommendatiions.

Thanks,

Scott

mtbr member
    If you can drive, get to John Muir trails in the Southern Kettles...can rent a bike at Back Yard Bikes in La Grange. PM me for more info...
    Marc82Much
    Kenosha, WI

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    ^ I'll show you round the kettles, and like Paladin said they rent bikes at Back Yard which is very close to the John Muir trail system.

=========
    Sheboygan has riding right in town and at Northern Kettle. I can't fill in any blanks for you on bike rentals up there. The southern kettles are great trails, but they're over an hour's drive from Sheboygan.

Why not ride them all?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Erik's and Trek Stores in Madison have had late model demo rentals. Machinery Row local shop has had Fisher bikes for rent some years. This is farther than the "Kettles" trails mentioned but the trails at Blue Mound State Park 20 min. west of Madison will give you a different flavor than other places in the southern part of the state.

Good luck and enjoy.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

how far do you want to drive?

How far are you willing to drive ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks everyone for the information. I looked at Back Yard bikes website and it looks like they have decent bikes to rent. Website shows prices between $ 40 an $50 for the most part which is nice. Here in CA a demo bike is $75 a day. I've looked at info for some of the trails and was pleasntly surprised by some of the photos. I'm excited to ride some new dirt.

I would like to get a couple of rides in while I am there. I will be visiting family and also will be trying to get a day or two of scuba diving in. With that being said I think I would limit drive time to the trails at a max of about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

To those that have offered to show me some trails, I truly appreciate it. Beers/lunch on me.

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Where around here do you plan to scuba?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wisconsin is not my ideal dive destination but it's something different. We were supposed to go to Indonesia but my wife is pregnant so that cancelled that trip.

Lake Micigan has some interesting wrecks dating back to the early 1900's. The freshwater does not corrode the ships the way saltwater does so most of the wrecks are intact. I plan on spending a daw or two with a local dive operator or as a last result my uncle has a boat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Sheboygan Trails

Talk to the guys at the bike shop in Sheboygan Falls, Falls Cycles?, and they can send you to Greenbush in North Kettles and Evergreen Trails in Sheboygan. They might even rent you a bike. The diving is good in Lake Michigan, but be aware of the coooold thermoclines. I used a 1 mil skin + 5 mil full with hood and gloves and could only do two dives because of coldness, I have no body insulation though. Also there is Green Lake which I loved because of depth and clarity. I've heard Random and Mauthe Lakes might be doable and an illegal gravel pit dive just out of Kohler....and Elkhart Lake too?