Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

Bike rental near Minneapolis?

I'm going to be in Minneapolis for business next week and Im looking for a place to rent a bike (road or mtb.....)

Since Im training for the Mohican 100, I would really like to find a way to get some quality miles in next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good shop for a rental?

How are the local trails (sw metro area) ? Are there any places for some good hill workouts?

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty pumped to be back in the area for a bit!
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I sort of miss traveling to the twin cities area for business travel.

but... Minneapolis is supposed to be one of the country's friendliest cities for cycling... so you should be able to find a shop offering rentals or at least demos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    I'm going to be in Minneapolis for business next week and Im looking for a place to rent a bike (road or mtb.....)

Since Im training for the Mohican 100, I would really like to find a way to get some quality miles in next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good shop for a rental?

How are the local trails (sw metro area) ? Are there any places for some good hill workouts?

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty pumped to be back in the area for a bit!
    There are plenty of trails to get on and go. Mountain bike trails are close by. Lebanon hills in Eagan has awesome mountain biking from novice to expert. There trails are maintained well. Penn Cycle in Eagan I know rents bikes both mountain and road. If you are planning on mtn biking I would go there since it is super close to Lebanon hills. The shop is about 20 min south on Saint Paul and 30 minutes south on Minneapolis.

cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Freewheel Bike used to have some decent bikes (mtb and road) for rent. Check their website.

In my opinion you won't find any really good hill training unless you head southeast of Mpls and hit the gravel roads. The mtb trails in the south metro are a lot of fun though. If you have the time, Cuyuna can be worth the drive.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check out those shops.
    I'm not too sure how much time ill have to really get out and log some serious miles since its a Mon through Fri trip. I do have a headlamp though... Any trails open for night rides?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

Human Test Subject
    There's nothing stopping you from doing either river bottoms or theodore wirth whenever you like. Also, Erik's bike shop in Dinkytown has Pugsleys to rent if you are so inclined.

EDIT- fixed a typo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Most Twin Cities trails are open until 10 pm, so you can do a little night riding.

Custom User Title
    Apr 2012
    I was just in Maple Grove Cycling last night and they told me they rent out the Cobia if you're interested.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Thanks all! I wound up renting from Penn cycles in Richfield since they are about 3 minutes from my office. I have to admit, the option of renting a pugsley was pretty enticing! Maybe when Im in town during the winter...

I have to give major props to John and Sam there. They took their time to get me set up and pointed to some good local trails even though they knew I was just visiting in town. They even sat down and saved me some money by figuring out what pricing scheme made the most sense. Pretty impressive since the shop was pretty busy when I stopped in and they still managed to make me feel like a valued customer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2