mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bike Choice for Levis Trow

Background:

I'm kinda old (almost 40) and kinda big (200ish) but I've been riding along time and do it pretty frequently. I suppose I'd a call myself a high-end intermediate rider.

Question:

I'm making my first trip to Levis Trow and am wondering which bike to bring. Both are 29ers.

Rigid singlespeed (32 x 18). I'm new to the whole singlespeed thing, with about 1 month of experience. I really like it but the rigid is beating on me a bit. I'm sure I would want a 20t or 22t cog for the trip. I could also throw a suspension fork on her....

Full suspension XC geared bike. I love how this bike handles.

My decision would be fully all the way if it weren't for the fact this will be at Gnomefest and I hear SS is highly preferred by the resident gnomes.

Thoughts?

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by ISUPsyclones
    Background:

I'm kinda old (almost 40) and kinda big (200ish) but I've been riding along time and do it pretty frequently. I suppose I'd a call myself a high-end intermediate rider.

Question:

I'm making my first trip to Levis Trow and am wondering which bike to bring. Both are 29ers.

Rigid singlespeed (32 x 18). I'm new to the whole singlespeed thing, with about 1 month of experience. I really like it but the rigid is beating on me a bit. I'm sure I would want a 20t or 22t cog for the trip. I could also throw a suspension fork on her....

My decision would be fully all the way if it weren't for the fact this will be at Gnomefest and I hear SS is highly preferred by the resident gnomes.

Thoughts?
    Why not bring both?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

That would be great

but I'm coming with a group and might not have the luxury of multiple bike rack openings. Interesting concept though; cake and eat it too.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Peer pressure!

for crying out loud, DO NOT bring the geared suspended bike. Gnomes are what, 10 inches tall? Definitely make your choice on their feelings and not your preference.

=========
    Gnome-Fest welcomes any and all bikes along with their riders. If you can only bring one bike....bring the one you want to ride.....and then ride even more. I know for a fact that there'll be some demo bikes from Singular there for everybody to enjoy. If you're coming from Des Moines, you probably know Squirrel, so he can fill you in on all of the fun extra-curricularz that take place at the fest. Its all about fun on bikes at GF. Be sure to bring your favorite local micro brew for the baby pool - beer pot-luck......oh, and don't forget to pack your incredible hulk underoo's for the dwarfcycle figure eight death races.

I try to get to meet as many people as I can at GF every year, so please stop by as say howdy. I'm kinda hard to miss.

g

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Levis Bike selection-Gnome Fest

Background:

Thoughts?
    I'm about local as you can get-cuttin my dirt teeth at Levis (not to mention every grub hoe ever made) Anyhow. I think if you can only bring one ride-bring the geared one, you'll do a lot of riding and the roots and rocks could get a bit old, although the 29ers do a nice job of making that smoother. I have both myself, but my climbing legs are not what they used to be and an SS will take it's toll if you ride all the really good high stuff. That said, Gomez is right, there usually are a few sweet 29 SSs to swing a leg over-they even let me race (Dirt Cat) on one, which lead to buying two 29ers last fall after the GF! Cha-Ching!

Look me up-I'll be hanging around the shed-our tool and equipment building, and should look something like a park ranger

mtbr member
    Background:

Question:

Thoughts?
    I'd definitely go with the geared bike. Some of the climbs at Levis are long. And steep.

Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Beatnick Termites

I ride my rigid SS 26'er here every once and a while for giggles, but I never seem to be laughing in the end I get pretty hammered. It is a 22/11, ya old school, and it moves pretty easily thru everything except the steeper sandy stuff, but hey I had trouble with those sections Friday on my Titus FS. I definitely prefer the FS geared here. Great job on those trails and the skills loop Steve!