mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Best trails close to WI/IL border?

Hey guys, i am looking at picking up my first mountain bike this weekend, it will be a XC. I'm am from chicago but wanted to take it up to WI since i figure there would be better trails with the hills. I would like to keep the travel time down to 1.5-2hrs each way. Can anybody recommend some good trails that are up there and within this range?

mtbr member
    kettle moraine south- john muir and emma carlin trails. take a look at this board and you'll see some pics and details about the terrain and difficulty.

there's also palos in the southern suburbs in IL- i haven't been there though- hear it's decent.

enjoy!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member

Rock Cut

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4545crx.aspx

It's in Illinois, but close to the WI border.

Edit/ Actually you might do as well heading the other direction toward Peoria. The Midwest Mountain Bike Summit was held there the year before last and the guys from my club really like the area.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_4545crx.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4545crx.aspx

/Edit

Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Palos Hill, south of chicago
    & the Kettle Moraine trails just into Wisc, are your best bet
    --Rock Cut is very basic, no idea on the Peoria trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad97z
    Hey guys, i am looking at picking up my first mountain bike this weekend, it will be a XC. I'm am from chicago but wanted to take it up to WI since i figure there would be better trails with the hills. I would like to keep the travel time down to 1.5-2hrs each way. Can anybody recommend some good trails that are up there and within this range?
    Peoria as some great trails even a little downhill curse, also its maybe a touch far, but theres a great hilly singletrack in Davenport, Ia

Another Retro Grouch
    If you want to mountain bike and be close to Chicago, Kettle is the only game in town. It's great, lots of choices. Palos is really lame, I could ride a Raleigh 3 speed through there. Flat and boring, did I mention it's flat?

Show up after 10am and buy a season parking pass and trail pass, you'll be back!
    Last edited by pursuiter; 07-14-2009 at 05:10 AM.

lookin' for a hill
    palos has decent trails, you just have to know where to look. some people get discouraged and ride back to their car cause they can't find them. I will say I enjoy kettle a little more as you can just fly.
    take a look at Cambr.org, get a map of palos, stick to the orange trails and gravity cavity and you will be fine.
    the biggest plus for palos is a .5 hour drive from the loop compared to 2 hours to kettle

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    palos has decent trails, you just have to know where to look. some people get discouraged and ride back to their car cause they can't find them....
    Oh, we found them alright. And all the creepy guys that hang out on County Forest Preserves

Face it, the worst trail in WI is better than anything in the State of ill. But we have 10.5% sales tax to make up for it....

Faller - Expert Class
    Petrifying Springs just across the border in WI is the way to go for me....love that place, although erosion is creeping up fast!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    if your willing to head south for a couple of hours Pekin / E.Peoria has some awesome trails 5 diffrent parks with 50 plus miles of single track trails. supported by 3 good bike shops and the local club "pamba" maps of the parks and a ton of knowlagable locals to point you in the right direction. look up pamba.com and check out the maps.