mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Baird Creek......where to go?

Where does everyone ride at Baird Creek? Ive been there a handful of times now. I always see quite a few vehicles parked in the lower lot, the dead end by the tracks, and on the hill. But I never see anyone riding.
    Scott

superluker
    Aug 2009
    There's so many trails out there you just have to explore and link the ones you like together. I like to descibe where the trails are base on there location from the creek and hwy 43, ie... south side, east of the hwy, which is where the BIG house is, "the dirt jumps" also are in this area but are helpful for referance.Don't get discouraged I've been ridding out there for over 12 years and I seem to find new and fun ways to go.

mtbr member
    There's always fun new ways to go. If you're looking for a fun loop, be at the "lower lot" (the one on the west side of hwy 43, large'ish parking lot down in the woods near the waterfall) shortly after 7AM tomorrow. I'll be riding from roughly 7-9:30 with a friend. Otherwise, PM and we can figure something out. I ride Baird a couple times a week, but have been mostly just sticking to one particular loop lately that covers what I need to and takes under an hour.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I dont think Ill make it tomorrow morning. Was hoping to do some more exploring In the afternoon.
    Ive been on the south side of the creek east of 43 a couple times. Its nice over there but when I get to the open fields I get bummed and turn around trying to find something else in the woods. Ive been on the same side of 43 but other side of the creek and found some neat stuff over there where you have to keep crossing the creek, but cant find my way back there. I think I need to go throught the fields more.....
    The last couple times, I started out in the south-east part, only find myself biking back down to the lower lot. I take off to the right follow the double track til the sand trap, follow through to the left and keep going til I come out on the street. (not sure what road that is) Follow the sidewalk across the creek and back in on the otherside. That takes you though by the power lines and then go wherever from there. I dont think Ive ever done an actual loop. I always just turn around and go back.....

mtbr member
    That street you're talking about is Danz. I like to start out that way. Start at the lower lot, head west to Danz on the north side, come back on the south, then cross the tracks for the little bit before you hit the road (forget the name of that one...Neumann maybe?). Hit the trails on the east side of 43 by climbing up right away on the south side, then riding across the dirt jumps (usually hit 'em a few times), and then taking the first left at a junction in the field. That takes me down a fun little downhill section that can be looped back up to trail I've already covered, or I'll cut right and head east along the creek. I take my very first right after the peaked bridge to ease up a long gentle uphill section. Follow that along a 'certain' way that takes me back through the woods a good ways some ups and downs, a couple creek crossings, and a finish along the north side of the creek that flows REALLY fast. Come back to the parking lot and hit Mars. Estimated ride time, 50min on a more relaxed pace. I'll be riding Baird again soon, but headed up north for a couple days

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yup Danz is correct. I biked up the street to check out the street sign.
    I was there Saturday and Sunday and found alot of the stuff I remembered from my first time there. I think Im starting to know where I am most of time which is kind of a good thing.
    What dirt jumps are you talking about? North of the creek with the thrashed 10 speed in the bushes? Or are there more jumps Im missing?

mtbr member
    If you ride on the road under 43 heading east follow it to the right and over the RR tracks. On the left (east) side of the road there are two main trails on the south side of the creek. One follows the creek, another goes up the hill. Follow it up the hill, and you'll find the dirt jumps.

superluker
    Aug 2009
    You'll know the jumps when you see them. There up on top off the south east area by the BIG house. Some nice trails heading up and down from there. Wheelocks route sounds quite familure (sp?). If your starting to remember trails, it sounds like your on your way to knowing Bairds Creek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well Ill have to check that out. Earlier last week I entered the trail up the hill (off the road east of 43) closer to the corn field. I came out right onthe edge of the field. I didnt follow that too far before I ended up going back downhill towards the creek. Must have been right up there closer to the jumps then...
    Thanks for the pointers guys. I appreciate the help.
    Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I did stump farm this morning and stopped at Baird on the way home for a few miles. My friend went there yesterday for the first time, this was my first time as well. I can see why its so confusing! Towards the end of my ride I did find some of the nice trails I have heard other speak of.

He almost hit/got hit by another biker.....is there any real order or direction you are supposed to take? He asked and I figured someone here might know.

mtbr member
    There's no order to it. Just be careful, and have fun. PM me if you'd like a show-around of the trails