mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Anyone else pumped for the mini DH trails at spirit???

Im super excited about this. Lift assisted, a few tables, step ups, a 5ft drop. Cant wait. Ive been out snowboarding a dozen times this winter, and Im ready to say buhbye to the snow. I saw a few videos on youtube about the new trails, and Im curious what kind of rigs you all plan on using at Spirit?
    Ill be riding a Specialized Pitch 150mm with a x fusion vengeance 160mm fork, otherwise pretty much stock. Was considering maybe picking up a Kona Operator now that I have access to some airtime, but Im thinking that might be overkill. I can only assume that over time, Spirit will be adding more trails as the DH scene catches on around here. Maybe my bike fleet should grow as the trails do. Anyways, I hope the Spirit Mtn trails take off, and I hope they build trails all over that place up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The trails are great but they are not big bike worthy, IMO. I helped build this this last year. i ride a Giant Reign 150mm travel and that is plenty. I actually had more fun on the flow trail on the P bike as the trails is so smooth and fast and you could play more on the jumps.... the other trail is a little rougher but still a short travel bike would be plenty rode my budies Sx trail 100mm that was a blast..... If i were to expand the quiver I would first get a Dj bike and then look at something like a Transition TR 250 or Kona Entourage.... ! hope to see you up there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    The trails are great but they are not big bike worthy, IMO. I helped build this this last year. i ride a Giant Reign 150mm travel and that is plenty. I actually had more fun on the flow trail on the P bike as the trails is so smooth and fast and you could play more on the jumps.... the other trail is a little rougher but still a short travel bike would be plenty rode my budies Sx trail 100mm that was a blast..... If i were to expand the quiver I would first get a Dj bike and then look at something like a Transition TR 250 or Kona Entourage.... ! hope to see you up there!
    Good to know! Hopefully my 5 inch bike will be sufficient. Still want a 250 myself though, lol. Actually looking at an NS Soda FR. Love the adjustability of that frame. Cannot wait to ride some lifts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    yeah 5inch is great! but that ns soda would be sick!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I figured a DH rig might be overkill, but Ive got a buddy in MT and he keeps telling me I need to get out there and ride Big Sky with him. Thats where a DH rig would shine. I will absolutely be there this summer. Gonna add some better wheels to the pitch, still unsure of what rear shock I want to get. I like the idea of a coil, but I guess the Dh air shocks are getting better these days, so I may spring for one of those. Out of curiosity...whats a "P bike"? pump bike? Are these 2 runs the only ones planned for now, or will it be expanding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    p bike is the dirt jump bike from specialized, so a hard tail 80mm front suspension bike. As of right now the only 2 trails they have but they have plans to expand. I don't know the details but they will hopefully expand this year.
    I'm not sure I would go coil shock but either would be nice you could get a vivid air if you want something beefy...

LCW
    mtbr member

Sounds like I'll have to bring my 575 down there this summer... These trails sound like fun
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    A little more to get you stoked about the Duluth area now has formal group of riders pushing specifically for Gravity/Freeride

https://www.facebook.com/FreerideDuluth

And they shared this a little while back.... looks like spirit will continue to expand! Yes, finally MN needs this!

Mayor Don Ness has agreed to appropriate $60,000 in tourism tax money to fund additional mountain bike trails at Spirit Mountain!

Seeing how much attention and excitement the construction of Candyland brought last year, our mayor has decided to put an additional funding stimulus into making Spirit Mountain the premier lift-serviced mountain biking destination in the Midwest. Spirit Mountain executive director, Renee Mattson, is in communication with Aaron Rodgers of IMBA Trail Solutions and Copper Harbor Trail Club for the construction of additional gravity trails of varying difficulty.

Mayor Ness has challenged COGGS and the local cycling community to help fund this project by contributing an additional $25,000. COGGS has already voted to approve $5,000 towards this goal and we are currently planning additional fundraisers and soliciting sponsors.

If you'd like to donate to specifically fund more gravity trails at Spirit, feel free to write a check with "Spirit Mountain Mtb Trails" as the subject to:

COGGS
    Spirit Mountain Mtb Trails
    PO Box 161261
    Duluth MN 55816

mtbr member
    This is what I'll be riding, and yeah, I'm super pumped!

Anyone else pumped for the mini DH trails at spirit???-uitqeiz.jpg
    "Some people think they can outsmart me... Maybe... I've yet to meet one that can outsmart BULLET.
    -Heavy
    Der Crankmeister

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Calles View Post
    This is what I'll be riding, and yeah, I'm super pumped!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uItqeIZ.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	789274
    dope, I've never seen that bike before.... Sette stepping into the big travel ring? I will be on this, its my do it all but DJ

Anyone else pumped for the mini DH trails at spirit???-french-creek-summit.jpg

LCW
    mtbr member

Hopefully I can make it down there sometime... I'd be bringing this...

Anyone else pumped for the mini DH trails at spirit???-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365643215.153124.jpg
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Very excited. I've never ridden the second trail but the flow trail is very smooth. Here's an older vid of me riding it on a 5x5 29er full squish. I think a hardtail would be the ticket on the flow trail.

Spirit Mountain Flow Trail (Mountain Biking) - YouTube
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.