mtbr member
    May 2008

Any rideable trails near Duluth right now?

I'll be in the area over Easter weekend (Thursday-Monday) and I'm bringing my bike. Are there any trails that are ride-able at this point or are they all going through spring slush/mud/melt cycle right now?

I'm not sure which days I'll be able to ride, but I'm really itching to get out and try my new bike out.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

A hint.

According to skinnyski.com the XC skiing remains great for NW Wisconsin and NE Mn. Most ski trails are still being groomed.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I got a pic from my parents today, looks like it won't be too promising.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    I'll be in the area over Easter weekend (Thursday-Monday) and I'm bringing my bike. Are there any trails that are ride-able at this point or are they all going through spring slush/mud/melt cycle right now?

I'm not sure which days I'll be able to ride, but I'm really itching to get out and try my new bike out.
    The root canal in Hartley is in good shape. You should be able to ride it if you ride before about 10am.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't know that area - Is that the blue loop on this map?
    BikeDuluth.com - Your Complete Cycling Guide for Duluth, MN. Including Mountain and Road Biking Routes, Trail Maps and Other Cycling Information.

This would be riding on packed snow I assume?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    I don't know that area - Is that the blue loop on this map?
    BikeDuluth.com - Your Complete Cycling Guide for Duluth, MN. Including Mountain and Road Biking Routes, Trail Maps and Other Cycling Information.

This would be riding on packed snow I assume?
    Yes, packed snow. The Root canal is a loop that starts at the nature center, travels down Old Hartley Road (which is now a path), Makes a right on the hiking trail and continues back to "The Pines" Unless we get a lot of rain the trail should be in great shape.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just to update, I'm hoping to get out there either Friday or Saturday morning. If you see me say hi (i'm on a scalpel).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Old thread, same question 2 months later.

I'm headed to town, hoping to ride Friday morning. What's rideable or am I better off road biking?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did you end up doing any riding chickencow? I'm heading up this weekend and thinking about bringing my bike if there's anything rideable. Weather isn't looking so great this week though...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Slounsberry View Post
    Did you end up doing any riding chickencow? I'm heading up this weekend and thinking about bringing my bike if there's anything rideable. Weather isn't looking so great this week though...
    Maybe too late on this but I didn't end up riding any trails, I took my dad's road bike out for a few hours instead.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm back up in town this coming weekend. I'll be hoping to ride Friday morning.

What trails are around that are: open, fun, easyish to follow for somebody who hasn't been there before? I'm open for anything, probably shooting for 15-20mi total?