mtbr member
    May 2010

Any Good Single Track in or Near Ely, MN?

My husband and I are thinking of vacationing in Ely, Minnesota with some friends. Is there good mountain biking in that area?

I checked Google, and the trail guides in MTBR and Dirt World. Most of the stuff I found was either dated or it was one of those park guides geared toward the general public. When those guides say "mt biking" it often ends up being a straight gravel path or something.

We are looking for single track, rocky trails, lots of elevation change, etc. Both my husband and I race in the Mid Atlantic region and are used to technical trails, roots, logs, rocks, and climbing.

Can someone point me in a good direction?
    Angie
    Check out my website!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by godsang View Post
    My husband and I are thinking of vacationing in Ely, Minnesota with some friends. Is there good mountain biking in that area?

I checked Google, and the trail guides in MTBR and Dirt World. Most of the stuff I found was either dated or it was one of those park guides geared toward the general public. When those guides say "mt biking" it often ends up being a straight gravel path or something.

We are looking for single track, rocky trails, lots of elevation change, etc. Both my husband and I race in the Mid Atlantic region and are used to technical trails, roots, logs, rocks, and climbing.

Can someone point me in a good direction?
    I don't think there is much up there. Too far away from population centers to support singletrack. If there is, you won't see much for climbing, it is pretty flat there. If you like water, it is cool, but it is mostly one big forest, swamp, and set of lakes. There is some riding on the North Shore of Lake Superior, an awesome trail system called Cuyuna in Crosby MN, and a lot of singletrack in the Twin Cities Metro area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Or all the way down in Aitkin(Ironton/Crosby) where you can ride the great singletrack @ Cayuna State Park. One word from a Wisconsinner...AWESOME!!!...and then two words, Go Packers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ....and Lutson Ski Area

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc View Post
    ....and Lutson Ski Area
    Lutsen closed to mtn biking a few years back.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thank you all for the input. Now I know why I couldn't find anything when I searched...
    Angie
    Check out my website!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    some options, though a bit of a drive from Ely
    Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists