Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Am I gonna get shot? (Riding in West Bend during gun deer season)

So, If I go to ride the Blue trail this weekend in West Bend, WI, am I going to get shot?

mtbr member
    only if the hunters have good aim. haha.

doubt it. this is not the UP.
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly 29'er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd wear an orange hat just in case.

Sweep the leg!
    Back in '94 two of us went to the Kettles on our 'cross bikes for a ride on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. It was maybe 9am when we got there and started out on the Blue Loop with the intention of heading up the connector trail and back. We were 20 minutes into the ride when we came out into a clearing and saw a line of guys in blaze orange walking the field. I remember Scotty saying "aw sh!t"

As a hunter I should've remembered what was going on...

So we turned around and went back to the car and along the way saw a couple of hunters sitting just off the trail. They were sitting against trees which obscured them from us on the way out.

If I were to ride where there is public hunting I'd take a few precautions.

1-blaze orange riding gear
    2-put a couple of cat collars, the ones with bells, on the bike to make a human only noise
    3- go for a road ride instead
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

locked - time out
    Jan 2008
    I was at the Kettles on Sunday.

Did the blue loop, did the orange loop, then went up the road to the other section (the Connector?). While I was up there, at the hill at the end of the trail, we heard gunshots from two distinctly different directions.

Came back down, did the green loop, and called it a day.

No sign of hunting in the southern section.

=========
    blowout

Almost time to break out the blaze orange for trail riding.

Wisconsin Deer Season

Gun - Nov. 22 - Nov. 30, 2008
    Muzzleloader - Dec. 1 - Dec. 10, 2008

The picture above was taken on the Kettle Connector near Bluff Rd.

mtbr member
    Now that's a funny picture.

mtbr member
    yeah. welcome to Wisco.
    2008 Gary Fisher Superfly 29'er

mtbr member
    I know, right? I've lived here all my life, and I'm still constantly amazed at how many bullet holes and spent 30.06 casings I find in odd places in semi-rural areas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We have a lot of bow hunters at our trail system and we've never had any troubles. The hunters understand that they are hunting where people ride so they exspect us. And look on the upside, although it would suck getting shot, I'd bet you'd win the lawsuit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie
    We have a lot of bow hunters at our trail system and we've never had any troubles. The hunters understand that they are hunting where people ride so they exspect us. And look on the upside, although it would suck getting shot, I'd bet you'd win the lawsuit.
    Wouldn't matter if you're dead.

mtbr member

Not Dead, but seriously p-ssed off.

Well, I took the risk and went riding on Sunday. Weather was great-dry and 40 degrees. I had just gotten over the hill behind Culvers and was bombing over that rolly part along the ridge, when I hear the telltale "fwapfwapfwap" of a blown rear tube. "No problem," I thought, because I had been a smart little mountain biker and shoved a spare tube into my pack before heading out. I yanked off the wheel, pulled out the old tube, and unboxed the new one--only to discover that I had grabbed a schroeder valve by mistake.

Ugh. I had to hike out. I was disappointed, but still okay because I was going to be riding next weekend. But then I woke up to three inches of slop on the ground this morning. It will probably melt by the weekend, but the trails are guaranteed to be a mess.

=========
    FirstTracks @ Kettle
    Shot from a Kettle ride... this morning.

mtbr member
    I hope you could steer that mariachi better than all the spun-out boneheads that I passed on I-43 on my way to work this morning.

P.S. make sure you go post that pic in the winter Passion thread.

Sweep the leg!
    Aw c'mon Gomez, where's the antlers?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    So, If I go to ride the Blue trail this weekend in West Bend, WI, am I going to get shot?
    I do fitness rides most of the year in Milwaukee, your "tactical ride" just offers better scenery. I ask myself that everyday.

=========
    DSC02089

The river trails in Killwaukee offer up their own brand of scenery...

mtbr member
    is that the mil river shooting gallery... I mean, trail?

mtbr member
    I did the Blue Hills trails in West Bend again last weekend, with more success. Brought the little woman along. We took on the wet leaves and 2 inches of snowy slop with a veangance, and I was once again reminded of how thankful I am that I have deathgrip tires on all of those short, steep climbs, as opposed to the sh-tty Jones tires that came stock on my wife's Trek.

Aside from almost losing my wife in the woods, a good time was had.
    Last edited by Oracle7775; 12-05-2008 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    couple of good riders in that there photo

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    Where are these trails in West Bend?

And what are you guys wearing to stay warm? I'm starting to get discouraged riding solo and freezing my nuts off at the same time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Efff
    Where are these trails in West Bend?

And what are you guys wearing to stay warm? I'm starting to get discouraged riding solo and freezing my nuts off at the same time.
    I get on the ice-age trail behind the culver's on 33, just west of Hwy 45. Just park in the culver's lot and you can see the trail cutting across the side of the hill (well, not now with the snow, but normally you can). The trail winds north through two sections of woods split in half by a road. When you cross the second road, you are in the Blue Hills conservancy area, which has dedicated MTB trails. There's a main loop with lots of little side technical trails. The trails are pretty cool, esp. if you don't have time for all day trips to the Kettles or up to Chequamegon.

I don't think I'll be there again until next spring, with the 10 inches that are on the ground, unless we have a major warm-up. My Klein can handle just about anything, but a Pugsley it's not!

As for staying warm, for me its three rules: 1) NO COTTON NEXT TO THE SKIN! 2) layers layers layers; and 3) remember, its not a fashion contest, so looking like a dork is okay if it keeps your ears/fingers/toes from falling off.

=========
    The link below is a nice set of guidelines for what to wear all the way from scorching hot to , so cold, that your beer will freeze.
    http://www.civiacycles.com/civiaweather.php

I've found that a cheap acrylic santa wig is an excellent layer to wear under your helmet for say 25 degrees and colder.

mtbr member
    Stylish, too.

mtbr member
    Bump.

Anyone riding southeast WI trails out there? How are conditions? I need a stoke. The only free time I've had lately is after 10:00 pm and I'm going f@!king nuts riding the trainer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast