Hooked

2012 Ray's changes and updates

Has anyone been to Rays this year? Wondering what's been changed. Schedule has been crazy and we haven't made it over yet. Had really hoped to join in on the Metro MTB group night, but biz travel got in the way.

Pics on facebook make it look like they've done some changes to the pump track and added transferland. Both of which jump loving Kiddo is dying to see. I'm wondering about any changes to the XC loop. ANd very curious about what a hamster wheel is.

Also, nice to see the addition of lessons on their website. May be a good way for us to introcduce some of kiddo's friends to the sport (not to mention doing a Sport 301 lesson myself)

I need skills
    Jul 2004

lots of changes

There are many changes at Ray's this year. The overall experience is very fresh.

The XC loop can be exited and accessed in two more places. Two optional jumps have been added to the XC loop. Two down hill sections, and an optional hip jump.

Transferland is very cool. It replaces the outside rhythm section line.

The sport section has many changes, the beginner section is the same. The novice room has a few changes as well.

The pump track has three optional jumps.

The expert area has many changes as well.

The hamster wheel is an xl version of what is used in hamster cage.

Hooked
    Thanks Charlie!

Jumps on the XC course, huh? Guess that's good, as I realized this summer (in CO at WInter Park) that I need to work on fear of when both tires leave the ground. Looks like this winter will be try to learn to not roll over jumps. My kiddo will appreciate jump options on the pump track.

My other planned things to focus on over the winter are drops - last year I was only confident enough to do the lower of the drops along the back wall on the green course. Despite Kiddo's reassurances that I have gone off things at least as hgh as the middle one (there were three, right?, or is my memory faulty), and technical climbs. Assume those drops and the rock climb are still options?

Can't wait to get over there. Well, maybe I can wait of the weather allows outside riding...with the occasional evening "ride" at Rays.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    A lot actually, you really need to just check it out, pump track, expert section, more beginner stuff, more sport stuff, etc those pics are about 5% of what's different, in general things just flow better... As a whole, really hard to describe, but I must say I did leave the place feeling happy that I'm the off season, improvements are made, not just cleaned/fixed/tweaked... I mean improved.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

beginner jumps!

The beginner jumps have been vastly improved.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by cbell3186 View Post

Thanks for the pictures. Now I'm really intrigued. Is that rock covered slope a descent or a climb, guessing based on the arrows on wall a descent which is kinda cool. (Even if I really really need to work on technical climbs).

We plan on getting the family all season passes again this year (love the half then half then half again family plan!).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Kimikaw, the rock section shown is of the new down hill chute.
    Ray's Indoor Bike Park MKE.
    ------------------------------------------
    It's how I roll..

Hooked
    Finally made it over to Rays yesterday. Like last year, got the family season passes. As I mentioned earlier, they have a great special for folks in same household...1st pass $299, next half off, next half of that, next half of that (at ~$38 for this person) and so on. Season passes come with 2 VIP guest passes, so great for introducing friends.

Really impressed with the changes over the winter. In fact a bit mind boggling that they could think of some of the changes. I pretty much stuck to the green cross country loop and the beginner section. I need to ease into the wooden ladders thing (all mental, I know). Kiddo was all about the pump track, triflow, XC and a bit of the sport section. Earlier in this thread were pictures of one of the new downhill chutes. There's two. Didn't have nerve (yet) to try either, but they look cool. Really like how they have made a log/rock entrance into the set nearer he front/pump track area. Nice way to prevent folks without skills from venturing over their heads.

I like how they've incorporated more (& bigger) rock/logs pieces into the XC loop, and added jumps.

The maze area (which I credit a great deal for the comments my bike clinic coaches made about my slow speed handling) is the same.

Many, many of the lines in the sports area have changed, including a new chute type line and some decent sized rollers.

Have to take kiddo's word about the changes to the pump track, the addition of jumps, as I haven't mastered banked turns. He did say the yellow numbers lead you around the non-jump path, black numbers take you over the jumps.

Hooked
    Couple more pics....

the hamster wheel. Never saw anyone on it.

The wooden bike

Me playing with the picture stands

One thing all three of us had issues with yesterday was folks going the wrong way in sections. Of most concern was a couple of guys leaving the upper lounge via the climb area to ride the new jump in reverse. I never saw anyone take that chute/jump....but if they did, disaster potential. Other spot was a guy coming back to the upper lounge from observing the pit via the catwalk, and some multi direction riding on the obstacles next to the pump track. Hoping these all were just early season confusion, but a bit alarming none the less.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, the hamster wheel is busted, and may not make it in operation this season if a solution cant be found. It works once, then needs to be manually reset and all the counterweights checked, there is too much play in the support, and the too much friction in the axle, and when it hits the limits on either side its slamming into the support and weakening the whole structure. It really needs to be rebuilt out of steel, but that would be cost prohibitive.There's a possibility it may just be scrapped altogether. Sounds like not too many people are hitting the expert section this year yet anyways, which sucks cause its pretty awesome!

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
    Sounds like not too many people are hitting the expert section this year yet anyways, which sucks cause its pretty awesome!
    Could just be too early in the season. Suspect most folks with the expert skills are still riding primarily outside. Sunday afternoon the crowd was mostly BMX and trial/dirt jumper type bikes, very few mtb type other than us.

And I think there's a little bit of adjustment to riding on the ladders and such versus riding singletrack. No doubt mostly mental, but all of us were talking about how we didn't feel as competent there on Sunday vs at end of season there last year. And we each are better riders (at least outside on singletrack) vs. even last spring. Seems like the sports section has had a bit of a raise in difficulty also, so maybe most folks are still exploring that end (and al the other new stuff).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What tires are you guys running for Rays? Standard big ol' knobbies or semi slick type things?
    2009 Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er
    1982 Fuji Supreme
    200? Cannondale Prophet
    2011 Focus Mares AX3

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    2.3" Kenda K-Rad. They came stock on my 2010 Haro Thread 1.2. They are a semi-slick for dirt jumping and seem to work really well for Ray's.

Lord Thunderbottom
    put on about 10-12 miles at rays this past Friday, it was a blast as usual, plenty of new stuff to liven it up for this year