mtbr member
    Sep 2012

1st time out to Levis Mound, suggestions on trails?

I'm heading out to Levis/ Trow Mound for the first time this week, wondering what routes to take. Based on the map there are a ton of options. What are the signature trails? Any established 10-15 mile loops? I typically ride 10+ miles with varying elevation gains depending on trails, not opposed to 1000+ feet if its worth it!

Bear
    I really need to get to Levis this fall!

I usually break it up into two rides with a lunch stop in the middle. The whole thing would put you at oh I don't know 20+ miles. This is from memory so double check my work on a map before following my directions!

Ride 1 - From the parking area: Upper Glen to Lower Glen to Swamp Cut to Yellow Jacket to Secret Trail to Goat Dance to Buck Hill (stay left) to Sidewinder to Upper Hermosa to Hermosa to Lower Hermosa to Dead Turkey to Select Cut to Warm Up to Snodgrass to Dump - That is a big loop but will put you back at the parking lot. To shorten this up skip Select Cut/Goat Dance/Buck Hill and take Yellow Jacket directly to Sidwinder.

Ok, I'm confident in that one but need a map for the second ride. Fat Tire Guides - Wisconsin mountain bike trail maps and guides

Ride 2: This is the ride where you get to play up the mound and visit some awesome vantage points. From parking lot: Dump singletrack to North Face (this one is a big climb to the top) to Clarence. Clarence circle the top of the mound...feel free to lap this one and visit some of the unmarked spur trails that visit dead end vantage points. Once you visit everything on top then take Toad Road. After Toad Road do as you please. I usually hit Switchback to doubletrack to Porky Point then back to the lot.

You will have an awesome time at Levis.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions! I went there today and it was awesome! I left out goat dance and before heading back on select cut hit the corkscrew climb, cliffhanger, switchback, toad road, and back down corkscrew, then back on select cut. All in all about 14 miles of amazing riding. Stopped to take some pictures and admittedly had to walk the bike in a few spots with sandy/rocky technical climbs. Best riding I've had yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: 1st time out to Levis Mound, suggestions on trails?

I'm headed up there this weekend. Were the trails nice and dry?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kamofy View Post
    I'm headed up there this weekend. Were the trails nice and dry?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Trails were in great shape, very dry

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redman27 View Post
    Trails were in great shape, very dry
    We've had just the right amount of rain (Sat) to firm things up even better. A great route to hit all the classic trails is to follow the IMBA Epic Ride route (red/white arrows on posts). It'll get you over 16 miles of great riding.