mtbr member
    Feb 2009

1st time at John Muir Questions

I want to take a stab at the trail riding. John Muir is close. What should I expect for riding a first time there and how do I stay out of the way of the experienced riders? Is the trail wide enough where people can pass me? I'm an early bird so I will probably be on the trail around 6 am so I doubt there will be a ton of people there but still. I'm guessing I can find a trail map online.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timberstone
    I want to take a stab at the trail riding. John Muir is close. What should I expect for riding a first time there and how do I stay out of the way of the experienced riders? Is the trail wide enough where people can pass me? I'm an early bird so I will probably be on the trail around 6 am so I doubt there will be a ton of people there but still. I'm guessing I can find a trail map online.
    http://my.execpc.com/~jwamser/Southe...uirMap2007.pdf

i really like the john muir trail! i've only been there a few times and others here can give a ton of information. it is a singletrack trail so it is pretty narrow, but there is usually enough room where you can move to the side (off the trail a bit). i once in a while just check behind me to see if others are approaching who are faster than me and then i'll take a short break and move myself off the trail to let them pass me.

take the red trail to warm up and so you see what it's all about. the orange is longer and more difficult. there's a handful of good climbs- the rocky one at the end of orange is a killer for me. i have enough energy for the climb but the rocks makes it a pain.

have fun. it's a good time! also, look through this forum if you haven't already and you'll find a decent amount of kettle moraine talk- i've posted a couple questions and many responded.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    I would recomend taking the blue all the way first, 10 miles or so. Dont worry about the more expeirienced riders, its not race out there so unless they are real #$@! they wont mind slower riders. After you are warmed up from the blue, check out the orange, then do the burgandy. Have fun!!!

=========
    If this is really your first time riding a mountain bike on trails, I would not recommend the blue loop (sorry Jeff). How is your fitness? Do you ride a lot on pavement? If you have good fitness and ride a bike a lot on pavement you can quickly transition on to the longer loops, but if you are truely a new rider, I would recommend the red or the white loops. The white loop has a nice climb and a few scattered rocks to get you accustomed to the challenges that the longer loops provide in spades. Once you can handle the white loop with ease, then you'll be ready for a Rainey Dew, Green, Orange and finally the Blue. Once you get used to the rainey Dew, you can venture out on the connector trail. The connector is not very difficult until you get to Tamarack Rd.

At 6 am the trails will have very few people on them. If you hear someone behind you, just find a spot to pull over and stop to let them by.

Read up on what you should have with you out on the trails. I think there's a beginner forum on these boards that could be helpful to you. You need to be able to change a flat tire at the very least, so that means carrying a tube, tire levers, patch kit, pump or CO2 inflator and the knowledge of how to use them. Bring a couple of bottles of water and a few fig newtons or a granola bar. Wear a helmet, eye protection, gloves and a generous layer of deet.......oh and get ready to have fun to the power of grey skull.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Start with the Red trail (as gomez said). It's the easiest and the shortest, and any experienced rider riding the Red trail on the weekend should expect to run into newbs. If you do fine there, then progressively try the longer trails.
    Your early morning riding will get you fewer people on the trails but I would expect those on the trails in the morning are more likely to be people training (racers and fitness fanatics) so you may want to keep your eyes and ears open to let them pass. In the afternoons on the weekends, everyone expects to be running into slowpokes and newbs so even though there are more people on the trails then, you won't feel like such a roadblock.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My off road riding is new. My actual riding is going well. Just finished a 108.5 mile ride last Friday avg 13 mph for the entire length so I tend to do more of the rails to trails. I'm set for tools, water, helmet etc so no worries there. I'm sure off road riding is different not only in more hills but also just a different riding on dirt. I need to get new tires first since I have Kenda Komforts on which I'm sure won't work but they are nice on the limestone trails.

Hmmm idea. Maybe I will put a yellow stripe on my bumper like Nascar....ha ha

1GEAR
    Dec 2008
    John Muir is wide enough for people to pass, so don't worry about them Sounds like you ride a lot on the street, so hit the blue and if you still have more energy hit the other loops. Have fun.

lookin' for a hill
    it's all one way trail, so there shouldn't be anyone coming at you.

viva la v-brakes!
    I 2nd what Gomez has to say except instead of DEET (nasty stuff) I just make it a point to never stop in the woods. Keep moving and you'll be fine, stop, and you're in for some major blood loss.

Also, your tires should be fine for The Kettle, at least for a first couple of rides out there. If you get hooked you can buy something more aggressive as you begin to push your limits more.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    I'd be willing to ride with you out there sometime soon and show ya around. Weather permitting I'll be there this coming Thursday after work, about 6 CST.

Ryan