Trail Builder
    Apr 2004

Youngers Creek trail damage and ongoing logging

Youngers Creek Trail System is cut down to roughly 4-5 miles of trail from an estimated 14+ miles of singletrack.

An ongoing logging operation is in the process of harvesting timber off of the 1500 acres between the Bluegrass Parkway and the Pearl Hollow Landfill. Mike Borger and I walked the area for a couple hours Wednesday to determine what would be left after the logging operation and possible outcomes. What we found wasn't promising. Most all of the trails east of the "Wagon Trail" could not be followed due to extensive tree debris and ruts caused by logging equipment. A few trails close to "Wagon Trail" were intact this afternoon but the orange marks on the trees around them indicated that they would see a similar fate soon. To add insult to injury the ATV damage has spread to include the "Danger Drop."

Here are some images we took: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2966672&type=1

We are in touch with a representative of Hardin County. We are requesting clarification of the areas to be logged (is the area west of "Wagon Trail" safe?). We are also asking for alternatives and what support can be expected in the future. How is the Federal RTP grant received in 2006 affected? What, if any, cleanup can be expected from the logging company? I will post back here and will brief the situation at the KyMBA Louisville meeting tomorrow night and the Central Kentucky Wheelmen meeting next Tuesday evening.

Please post questions, concerns or comments here, on the Linkin Trails FB page or via email: vince.carman@kymba.org

KyMBA Louisville
    http://ckwheelmen.org
    Vince Carman
    VP, KyMBA Louisville
    http://www.kymba.org/louisville

mtbr member
    Damn, that is too bad. Seems like a slap in the face to allow that activity where it would desecrate your local singletrack.

I am from Michigan, and was fortunate to have ridden it on a MTB trip last summer. Will never forget the famed 'Seven Dwarfs' switch climb, nor the post ride swim in the clear pool where the tunnel drops into the creek. Spent some time exploring those trails, and had a blast doing so. Shame it won't ever be the same.

Truly sad.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I know this is old but any updates to this? I just moved to Elizabethtown last month and Younger's Creek was one of the trail systems that came up in my searching, but most recent comments state it is pretty much ruined now.

Other than Freeman Lake are there any other bike trails in the area? I'm probably going to visit Saunders Springs up in Radcliff but it would be nice to have a decent place to ride a little closer to home.

Trail Builder
    Apr 2004
    A dedicated group of folks have been keeping the front side trails clear. There is about 4 1/2 miles of cleared trails.

There are some potential leads for expanded trail access in the area. We'll be having a KyMBA meeting tomorrow night (May 29th, 6:15pm) at Saunders Springs (or Outdoor Ventures if it is raining). You don't have to be a member to attend. Welcome to the area.
    Vince Carman
    VP, KyMBA Louisville
    http://www.kymba.org/louisville

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhainey View Post
    A dedicated group of folks have been keeping the front side trails clear. There is about 4 1/2 miles of cleared trails.

There are some potential leads for expanded trail access in the area. We'll be having a KyMBA meeting tomorrow night (May 29th, 6:15pm) at Saunders Springs (or Outdoor Ventures if it is raining). You don't have to be a member to attend. Welcome to the area.
    Thanks and thanks for the reply. I'd like to be able to participate in more during the week but it is hard with work hours and the kids. I'd like to come up and ride with you guys on a Saturday meet at Saunders springs one of these days. Is there usually a pretty good turnout?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just wanted to let everyone know I've explored the trails that are still rideable a couple of times over the past 2 weeks. While it may not be the 14+ miles it used to be, it's still a fun ride and probably my new favorite place nearby. There are a few unpassable trees down (probably from storms and not the loggers) on some of the trails up top west of the wagon trail, but other than that and the chiggers it is a great time for anyone who wants to pay it a visit.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the area and thanks for the update!

I wonder if anyone knows what longer term solutions for this might be? It would be awesome to get it back to its glory days.
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm trying to get a few guys together for a ride at youngers creek in elizabethtown tomorrow. Any of you interested? If so shoot me a text 540-270-9328.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I going to make a few videos to try and get more people interested in fixing up Younger's.

Last edited by molon_labe; 09-08-2014 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here are a couple more from Younger's Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm not sure who cleared out the fallen trees blocking some areas of the trail, but thanks. The one down on the seven dwarfs climb was a real pain to get through.

Here are two more videos.

One going up.

One coming down.