mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Winter riding vs other winter activities

Just curious. What do you all do during the winter? Do you still ride a lot or do you have some other activity that you do to stay in shape and have fun.

I'm thinking about taking up cross country skiing this year (if I can afford all of the gear). I'm not really interested in regular cross country skiing--but maybe (I think it's called backcountry skiing) skis that would allow me to use ungroomed trails like MTB trails.

So what do you all do?

mtbr member
    I usually end up getting terribly out of shape.lol I ride my snowmobile in the winter and thats not exactly a workout. But I get on the treadmill occasionally and I'll ride my bike a few times when I muster up the courage.
    "Life begins where the road ends..." -not sure
    ...and prefferably starts going downhill

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    I still ride in the winter, mostly ride gravel roads or wait and ride the roads when they are dry. Usually don't get much snow here, but if it does, I'll go to the gym.
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ehinrj01
    .... I'm not really interested in regular cross country skiing--but maybe (I think it's called backcountry skiing) skis that would allow me to use ungroomed trails like MTB trails.

So what do you all do?

The guy that owns the Ski Pole in town suggested some backcountry xc skis to me last year, but I haven't bought them yet. He suggests something a little wider than standard xc skis if you want to break trail.

A lot of the guys in the club xc ski when there is too much snow to ride. I'd like to give it a shot, but there's the problem of more gear to buy.

I ride some when the ground is hard enough and the snow is light enough, otherwise I swim at the Y. I still downhill ski, but the 2-5 hour drives up North keep me from going too often.

Hermit
    I ride as much as I can during the winter - two or three times a week if the snow isn't too deep. I've found that it's pretty easy to keep warm (a true understatement) but I always crry extra clothes and a firestarting kit in a pack in case of I have to walk out or get injured. It's great to pedal until the snow gets more than like 4 or 5 inches deep (wet or crusty snow can ruin your ride with even less depth). Last year I managed to keep on the trail all winter, except for about 5 weeks at the end of January/beginning of February when the snow was about 8 - 10 inches deep for a long period.

I used to whitewater kayak all winter, so it was an easy transition to winter mtb.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If I'm home, I ride, period. I only miss a couple of days a year because of weather. Either too much snow(6+new) or right when the melt starts and the slush is unrideable.
    I alpine 30+ out west and around 30 xc here.

Emtnate: Yes, a little wider is good if your going untracked. Pokagon State Park has a groomer, rents skis, has some nice topography and has around 9 miles of trails.

mtbr member
    Winter riding is a ton of fun. One thing that gets overlooked IMO is paved bike trails in the winter. A good snow base on a bike trail makes it a pretty good workout. I only bring this up because I live super close to a bike trail, makes it nice when the roads are crappy and I do not feel like driving anywhere.
    The only other winter activity that I do is hike, normally you are the only person out on the trails, its just nice to get some peace and quiet.