mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Winona Lake Trails Temporarily Closed

Due to flooding. Winona Lake and Cherry Creek are both really high right now. From the paved path, parts of the South Town Loop looked flooded. I didn't walk back through the trails to see what else is flooded. The creek is high enough, I suspect it's covering Wagoner's Trail, the Field Trail loop also looked pretty wet from the neighborhood nearby.

Hopefully the trails dry out quick and the group doing work gets some good weather to make any needed repairs.

I'm ready to ride, and Winona is usually the first trail dry enough to ride each spring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Trails are great. There are a few soft spots, particularly the Rock Garden and Wagoner's, but nothing too bad.

Take advantage of the weather and get out there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Trails are in real good shape. As of last week parts of field trail were soft, and the reroutes from the storm damage still needed to be packed down, but everything is great. The crew in town has done a great job getting them in shape after this winter.

Is the new part that extends Wagoner's open now?

mtbr member
    I'll have to ride the Wagoner's extension tomorrow and report back.

My 6 year old daughter rode most of the west side yesterday. We skipped some of the Lake City Loop because of the hills, but she absolutely loves the trails. Subtracting the 1.4 miles round trip from the house to the trail, she rode ~7.5 miles, mostly trail. That little Wal-Mart bike is begging for mercy!

mtbr member
    I rode the Wagoner's extension this morning and I don't think I'll ride it again. It was technical in a few spots, but there are a lot of off-camber spots along the stream which I don't think will hold up to a lot of riding. The real turn off for me was the fact that it ends after the big hill at the end of Wagoner's.

Ride it once and see what you think. That's my take on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hmm. Back in high school, I got air of a roller by the creek in that general area --- KCH ER kept my helmet as an example to wear them. This was long before the trails were organized. That path has been like that for a while and has held up, but you're right with much more traffic than there was 15 years ago, it will change things. Plus that big hill at the end is kinda fun.

I'll see next time I'm in town. Trails are wet here in Fort Wayne, so Winona's my only riding for a few more weeks. I still think Blank and Blue trail alone is worth the drive.

mtbr member
    I graduated in 95, so I know how organized the trails were back then. The old cable bridge across the stream was laying in the water so we went out with a come-along and jacked it up out of the water. How I got nominated to go into the water is beyond me, but I'll tell ya that February wasn't the month to be standing in that water!!!

The trails have come a long way, and my only fear now other than the kids who ride and skid all over the place is the proposed greenway to go to the Grace soccer field. I have a bad feeling that some good trails will get the hit from it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The proposed greenway has me worried as well. I figure it would cut across the trail 8 or 9 times, clear a bunch of trees, and not accomplish much considering there are low traffic roads 400 yards away from the proposed route. I met someone on the trail a few weeks ago who told me the biker groups have given a different idea for a good route to connect Miller Field to the park, using markers on those side streets. It would certainly be cheaper than clearing out woods. The east loops flow so nice, it would be a shame to mess them up.

I don't even care for the interruption on the South Town loop right before that log drop. I do not miss that cable bridge, it is also nice that most people ride in the same direction now. Back in 95, I was never brave enough to ride the trees laying across the creek, but the creek jumps were fun too.