Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Who has a DH/FR bike in the Chicago area

Who has a DH/FR bike in the Chicago area and how often do you use it?

I have a hardtail and a 5" trail bike. I use to race DH about 10 years ago on a 5" travel freeride bike but have no intention of racing again. However, my passion are the downhills even though those are few and far between in this area.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 7" travel bike for "sessioning" downhill sections of local trails, heading to the lift assisted midewest resorts, and possibly taking a once a year trip out west to the Colorado resorts.

There's a special on an Iron Horse Seven Point for a grand under the MSRP. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on this bike, as I just spent a ton on my trail bike.

So I'll ask my question again, how often do you guys use your 7"+ travel bikes in the Chicago area? I'd hate to buy another bike and use it two or three times a year.

mtbr member
    I use my spec. bighit in fabyn

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    just picked up and built up a ASX in november. have only taken it out for 3 rides but i like 100x more then my ASR. would like to build up the ASX to 34lbs and use it as my only bike. i can't wait for somewhat warmer weather then i will use it to learn how to ride and jump off of everything i can in chicago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    06 Kona stinky.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    if yer smart, patient, careful, somewhat well connected and a tad bit lucky, you can build up somethin really nice for next to nuthin in comparison. cant really publicly say what the end cost here was but its 1 of the least expensive turners ive ever built (7 now) or know of for that matter. '06 dhr with a new '09 boxxer team and tons of loveingly used parts from around the mtbr globe or ebay.

i should admit im not from the chicago area and im a shop guy/wannabe dh'er with a few industry connections. still, ask around and see what ya can dig up before ya settle on whatever fits the budget today.

my plan is to hit a resort or 2 and try and qualify for the nationals so ya may see me up in red wing next season. where else can a midwesterner go for lift assisted fun? im in sioux city iowa these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    well, ive got a 6" bike thats kinda burly, but i ride it maybe 2-3 times a year,only on trips to more wild places, as ive got a rigid Fixed gear/SS mtn bike and a Steel HT 1x9 i spend more time on.

but when youve got 7 bikes some don't get the attention they deserve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have to agree with cactuscorn. it took me about 3 monts of searching for the ASX and i was able to build it frame up for about $460 total. i'm starting to see a ton of great frames and parts for sale cheap cuz of the economy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

under 5 bills? im impressed! ya have me beat all to hell. mine started after i won a race in july and dt told me it was time for a real dh bike. he wouldnt let it go and i caved sometime in early august. i started collectin parts soon after that and had it pretty much done by thanksgiving. still a few things left to do to suit my needs or correct mistakes but that only means i have spares and i love spares on a dh road trip. the rest ill resell.

ps: ya left yer lights on.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ICORR - FORC
    Quote Originally Posted by tristan2ride
    So I'll ask my question again, how often do you guys use your 7"+ travel bikes in the Chicago area? I'd hate to buy another bike and use it two or three times a year.
    I have an '05 Bullit (7") and pretty much only ride it at the resorts in Colorado and Whistler. I rode it around this area (Quad Cities) a few times on urbans at first, but went back to using a HT the last couple of years. I'd be interested in some midwest chair-lift riding since the rockies are so far away, but don't really know where to go.

I love having my own ride when I go out west - not crazy about rentals - but I don't really use it enough to justify having it.

Rg.
    There's car, beer, girls, and bike. Not just the three; you can have four. - Tyler Klassen

Quote Originally Posted by QCRage
    I love having my own ride when I go out west - not crazy about rentals - but I don't really use it enough to justify having it.
    welcome to the club. i figure the dhr may see 2 or 3 2 day events and about 20 miles of local test runs all year at best but man is it gonna be fun!

the only midwest lift thing i know of so far is the terry peak race in s dakota and its not bad at all. 2 days of runs on a very steep and burly course and a race for about $50. red wing mini-soda has a 4 race dh calender but it looks like ya push to the top after every run. bein in chicago, yer closer to the fr parks in new york and new hampshire, arent you?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yeah $460 total but the price will increase. i think i just blew out my 5th element. it will not hold any air in the chamber. can't decide to rebuild or get a DHX. i went riding today on the limestone DesPlains River Trails. they were covered with ice, slush, and 1" snow. it looked cool because the river has overflowed. normally the river is about 15-30 ft away or 5ft below the trail but with all the snow melting and the rain the river is right next to the trail. i hit a patch of ice and fell into the swollen water. the more i ride the ASX the more i want to build it up as my only bike. i can sell my ASR and use that the buy some HD lightweight wheelset. maybe throw on the carbon crank i have to lighten it up some.

ive never serviced, owned or ridden a 5th but the tales i hear do not inspire me to do any of those things. ya may want to bail now. maybe fix it and sell it or keep it as a spare. if i knew the length and stroke ya needed, i might be able to keep a eye out for ya. ebay is full of dhxc's and santa cruz was blowin some out a few weeks back too.

yer ride sounds kinda cool, figurativly and literally. when trail conditions allow, i did a good snow ride.

i cant claim a "only" bike but i do spend alot of my time rfx which i have built kinda light at 32lbs. im a light guy and i dont tend to punish stuff so it works for me. think about how and where ya ride before ya spec a bike, be it a 20lb xc raceday rocket or a 45lb dh sled. carbon cranks may not be the answer for a asx.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Change a couple things on the 5" trail bike and you have a bike that can rip anything in the midwest with the best of them. A shorter stem, some flat pedals(if you ride clipless in the first place) and you're about set.

I see all these folks in Chicago trying to out cool the next guy with their 7-8" travel bikes and just laugh. There is nothing within 5-6 hours of Chicago that requires a big bike. Learn to kill the trails on your 5" bike and you'll actually have some skills instead of the guys who let their DH machine plow down the little bitty hills we have letting the bike make up for their lacking talent.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i agree with both seanbike and cactuscorn. i was a diehard ht rider and would did not believe in fs, i thought it was hype. i would not even look at or care about fs bikes. i started having knee problems from too much running. doc told me to bike instead but still had knee problems. pt told me try a fs and i did. so i got a Yeti ASR (loved Yeti and always wanted 1 since '92'. 1 ride on the ASR and i was sold. regretted not getting a fs sooner. now that i had 1 i noticed what everyone was on and noticed that i had less travel then everyone but was keeping up with them and passing them up in some areas of the trail. there aren't too many Yetis in chicago and many believed that it was the bike and their quality (which is true) but i think alot had to do with me not worring about the limitations of my suspension. now that i have the ASX i catch myself thinking about lines to ride as i drive to work. u know the 2' drop off the train traks, 7' down the super steep side, another 2' drop, then balance down the fallen tree trunk. i love the cockpit of the ASX much better then the ASR and it's the reason i would love to make the ASX my only bike. i can't wait till summer comes, i will spend this winter out on the trails to get better at pedaling the bike.

mtbr member
    Last edited by dankist4x4; 01-19-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

mtbr member
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

mtbr member
    no 29ers
    Last edited by dankist4x4; 01-19-2009 at 10:43 AM.

thats some nice work!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    DanKist4x4 thats some amazing work!

mtbr member
    Thank you! All the work was done by mainly my self and two other guys for the past year. We were able to make everything for 100% free. Most of the wood came from various neighbors, family, and friends who had extra 2x4 from home improvement projects. So far our spot has been pretty secluded, I think over the summer we only saw two fishermen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another good season next year.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dan where is this trail?

mtbr member
    Some where deep within the northern mountains of Illinois

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've seen your trail before..pm me maybe I can help build some stunts....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankist4x4
    Some where deep within the northern mountains of Illinois
    haha. good one! if you need some help building, let me know (i'm in the schaumburg area fyi)- i love doing that kinda stuff! also, i have some extra lumber laying around and can definitely donate.

let me know.

later.
    ez

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast