mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The White Knuckle Challenge is almost here!

Hey, The White Knuckle Challenge is coming up fast! Its on June 5th and 6th this year so gather up your friends and come on out. Its located near Westby Wisconsin which is 25 miles southeast of LaCrosse. The XC race on Saturday is going to be a killer. Not a typical xc race course, this baby is super technical with lots of singletrack. On Sunday it starts out with the Dual Slalom race. The course has been worked over this year and all the jumps are a bit bigger than last year...some are kinda scary. Sunday afternoon is the Downhill race. I was lucky enough to ride the redesigned course tonight and man, its awesome. There is one spot I was scared to ride and I think at race speed its gonna be wicked.
    Lots of free camping and live music on Saturday night. Come on out and have a blast!
    www.whiteknucklemtb.com

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    We have a group coming from IL and will all be racing DH and Slalom. We have all seen the slalom video, but no one has any info on the DH course or the format of either of the races. Any info you could throw down would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Hey

The downhill race is best of two runs. The course was redesigned this year and follows a different course at the top. There are a few rock gardens, log drops, and of course, some wicked jumps. There is one chute that is wicked, Its hard to even walk down.
    The DS race is based on qualifing times, then double elimination. Hope to see you there, its gonna be a blast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

its close!

Well, I've ridden all the trails now. I cracked a rib on the downhill course last wednesday...( ouch ! ) The Downhill is awesome but its tough enough that I don't think I could ride it at race speeds and live. Tonight I rode most of the XC and that is pretty sweet. The last piece of singletrack is extremely steep..steep enough that you'll have to stop and drop your seat, or hike it. The DS is awesome, coming along real nice. I rode that 4-5 times and had a ball. Can't wait to see the racers flying down the course.
    Lets pray that the rain holds off!

Witty McWitterson
    So how'd the race go rokklym? I almost made it down, but we're getting our house ready to sell(moving to Viroqua in August!), and couldn't escape. I'll be down there next weekend though. Might not be bringing a bike though. Time may be short. If anything, it'll be the roadie. I need a new HS for the MTB.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

White Knuckle update

The race was awesome! Saturday was the XC race and the reputation for being a tough course prevailed and only like 15 people raced XC. It was a sweet trail so everyone who chickened out really missed out. It had everything that makes Mtn Biking special...suffering, then reward. Reward in the way of sweet singletrack and wicked downhill.
    There was about 40 people that raced Dual Slalom on Sunday morning and it was a blast. Most excellent track!. Then I think there were 60 registered for Downhill...not sure how many raced though. There is a pretty good thread with pics on the DH / Freeride board at Please post some Westby, WI race pics!!!!!

Big thanks to all the WKR crew, Team Sally, Road 34 bikes in Ft Collins Colorado, Arrow Racing, Buzz's Bikes in LaCrosse and all the racers for coming up the the middle of nowhere to race.

Hey Martini, You'll have to give me a shout when you get moved in. I work in Viroqua and live in Westby so we'll have to hit up some trails.

Witty McWitterson
    NICE! sounds like it went off. The XC course sounds like it was fun. I was there a few years back on my SS 29" and had a ball. Has the course changed much since then? I suspect that it has. From the sounds of it, I may have to get myself a DS rig...the wife is gonna hate this...I'll look you up for sure when I get there.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Wkr Xc

The XC course was shortened up this year due to the flooding a week earlier. It ended up being about 4.5 miles but still very tough. Last year was the first time I rode it so I'm not sure what it was like when you rode it but they used to bring you down that hill road and this year you climbed the hill road and did the singletrack on top then they cut a new downhill to the bottom of the hill road. The downhill was so steep that I had to stop and drop my seat cuz otherwise I would have went over the bars just sitting on the trail.